Introducing the xDuoo TA-20 Plus - Now Available on Apos Audio
Sep 21, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #31 of 56
Do you hear a slight hum from the unit? The background is black for sure, but there is a very slight hum from the amp itself. Curious to know if you hear it as well. I swapped the driver tubes for nos 12au7 mullards from tube depot. Got them when they were 150.00 a piece, now they're 339 a piece (prices are crazy). Not sure if I like the stock tubes more or less. It's clearer with the stock tubes, more tubey with the mullards. Still burning it in. Contemplating on whether I should purchase a nos rectifier.
i haven't noticed any hum at all, but i've only used it with my thieaudio monarch mk3 and cayin ru7 dac. a hum could be caused by interactions between the unit and either your dac or transducer...or my setup could be removing the hum cuz i really don't have much equipment to test it with

Sep 23, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #32 of 56
i haven't noticed any hum at all, but i've only used it with my thieaudio monarch mk3 and cayin ru7 dac. a hum could be caused by interactions between the unit and either your dac or transducer...or my setup could be removing the hum cuz i really don't have much equipment to test it with
More so coming from the unit itself, it's very slight anyways. There is no hum or unwanted noise coming through the headphones.

Sep 29, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #35 of 56
So far in my listening sessions, the TA-20 plus has sounded the best with the Apos 12au7 tubes. Clearly sounds better than the much more expensive nos Mullard's as well as the stock tubes. Burned in the tubes for about 15 hours. I probably will purchase a few more of those Apos tubes down the road, just in case. Really nice set of tubes. I wish Apos released these sooner to be honest, would have bought these over the Mullards. The overall sound characteristic of the Apos tubes in the TA-20 plus, is slightly warm, clearer and more resolving than the Mullards, slightly wider sounding than the Mullards and a lot wider than the stock tubes, more relaxed in presentation (less fatiguing) than the stock tubes, and more refined than the Mullards.

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #39 of 56
OTL is without transformer so directly powered by tubes and SET with transformer in between. OTLs arguably have the most tubey sound but require high impedance headphones. In that price range I love my Eufonika.

For SETs, sound quality is determined greatly by the quality of the transformer and good ones are expensive. Don’t own one and do not have suggestions on hand.

Sep 29, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #40 of 56
OTL is without transformer so directly powered by tubes and SET with transformer in between. OTLs arguably have the most tubey sound but require high impedance headphones. In that price range I love my Eufonika.

For SETs, sound quality is determined greatly by the quality of the transformer and good ones are expensive. Don’t own one and do not have suggestions on hand.
Thanks, now it’s clear. :wink:

Oct 18, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #41 of 56
I'm interested in peoples thoughts. Been waiting a while to hear reviews of this.

Wondering if this would work well with Sennheiser HD800S. Currently, using a Chord Mojo 1, but looking for an upgrade. Thinking about:

Amp: (looking for a warmer sound - classical, jazz, soul - vocal)
Aune S17 Pro
Xduoo TA-20 Plus
Schiit Jotunheim 2
Schiit Lyr+
Schiit Mjolnir 3 (although I hear its a limited run)

Dac: (looking for a warmer sound - classical, jazz, soul - vocal)
Denafrips Ares 12th
Schiit Bifrost 2/64

I was considering going all out with a Woo Audio WA6-SE and Denafrips Pontus II 12th, but thought I might be able to achieve similar for less.

Nov 16, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #43 of 56
I released a review of the TA-20 Plus on YouTube if anyone is looking for more info! I tried to balance some technical stuff with how it performed as well. Feedback and criticism are always welcome, as I'm always looking to improve my content. Otherwise, I hope it helps those curious about this amp!

Nov 16, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #44 of 56
I released a review of the TA-20 Plus on YouTube if anyone is looking for more info! I tried to balance some technical stuff with how it performed as well. Feedback and criticism are always welcome, as I'm always looking to improve my content. Otherwise, I hope it helps those curious about this amp!

Thank you for sharing your honest thoughts on the Ray Tubes and the TA-20. 🙏

Apos Audio Free Shipping, Lowest Price Guarantee, Apos 2nd Year Warranty and 45-Day Return Policy on all carried products. Check out Apos Ensembles, Apos Specials, and Apos Certified products. Stay updated on Apos Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/aposaudio https://www.instagram.com/aposaudio/ https://apos.audio/ contact@apos.audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back