Introducing the LCD-i3
Apr 28, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #616 of 1,041
IMO the i3 has plenty of width L-R, more than enough. So if the iSine20 has even more, that's nice but not really necessary

Yes. I didn't wanted to say that i3 has poor L-R performance, which is of course not true. L-R performance in LCD-i3 is very good, especially if we are talking about IEMs (probably on par with best UCIEMs I've listened long ago). Never the less, it was worse than in iSine 20 in direct comparison and I was quite surprised by that. Not much, but still. The i20 stage was more elliptical, while in i3 it was more round and complete, one can say spherical. And the placement of sounds was more 3D. I've found both soundstages as highly preferable for my taste and it is very tough choice to choose one of them as "the best". I would say that soundstage in i20 and their general tonal balance favors electronic, fast paced music, while i3 perform more charmingly in many different genres, especially mixtures of neo-classic with electronic (in my case). So at the end it is "more width with closer vocals" versus "more round with better 3D".

To add to my previous query, in my country, the LCD-X and LCD i3 fall within the same price range. I do not have extensive experience with IEMs, as all I've owned upto now, are open and closed back Over ears. Which one do you guys think, would be the best choice ?

Both options have strong points and are worth buying if they can deliver you solid experience of warm and laidback sound, but at the same time both of them are placed in different usage areas. I think the decision should be based on your experience and habits around comfort and fit. Of course not only, but mostly.
LCD-X can be modded via foam inserts under the grilles and cables, there are no problems with fit in ears, no sweaty ear canals, no huge need for DSP (but still welcome). With wooden cups, you can convert them into LCD-XC, and have both headphones for the price of one and cups. But remember, that they are more stationary, heavier and have consumables in the form of ear pads, which may wear out on the timeline. LCD-i3 are ultra-lightweight and you don't have anything on your head, so in summer this can be a blessing. Silicones and foams are easy to get. You have wireless option and can go through Apple devices to get a solid DSP effects with ease and that way obtain multiple tonalities from single pair of headphones. Portability means you can take them anywhere, as long as the environment is very quiet. This pair should also be more benefitial from EQ/DSP than LCD-X.

Thanks for the detailed response! Also, I read your blog review of the i3 (translated by Google) and it was very good!

Thank you very much. Also sorry for the trouble with translating, I know it has its own quirks and often differs from native english text (maybe someday I'll take my time and courage and try to write a proper english review or convert existing reviews, since english is not my native language and it is probably clearly visible in my every single post :slight_smile:).

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #617 of 1,041
Yes. I didn't wanted to say that i3 has poor L-R performance, which is of course not true. L-R performance in LCD-i3 is very good, especially if we are talking about IEMs (probably on par with best UCIEMs I've listened long ago). Never the less, it was worse than in iSine 20 in direct comparison and I was quite surprised by that. Not much, but still. The i20 stage was more elliptical, while in i3 it was more round and complete, one can say spherical. And the placement of sounds was more 3D. I've found both soundstages as highly preferable for my taste and it is very tough choice to choose one of them as "the best". I would say that soundstage in i20 and their general tonal balance favors electronic, fast paced music, while i3 perform more charmingly in many different genres, especially mixtures of neo-classic with electronic (in my case). So at the end it is "more width with closer vocals" versus "more round with better 3D".

Both options have strong points and are worth buying if they can deliver you solid experience of warm and laidback sound, but at the same time both of them are placed in different usage areas. I think the decision should be based on your experience and habits around comfort and fit. Of course not only, but mostly.
LCD-X can be modded via foam inserts under the grilles and cables, there are no problems with fit in ears, no sweaty ear canals, no huge need for DSP (but still welcome). With wooden cups, you can convert them into LCD-XC, and have both headphones for the price of one and cups. But remember, that they are more stationary, heavier and have consumables in the form of ear pads, which may wear out on the timeline. LCD-i3 are ultra-lightweight and you don't have anything on your head, so in summer this can be a blessing. Silicones and foams are easy to get. You have wireless option and can go through Apple devices to get a solid DSP effects with ease and that way obtain multiple tonalities from single pair of headphones. Portability means you can take them anywhere, as long as the environment is very quiet. This pair should also be more benefitial from EQ/DSP than LCD-X.

Thank you very much. Also sorry for the trouble with translating, I know it has its own quirks and often differs from native english text (maybe someday I'll take my time and courage and try to write a proper english review or convert existing reviews, since english is not my native language and it is probably clearly visible in my every single post :slight_smile:).
Thank you for your opinion. I too enjoyed immensely reading your review on the LCD i3 and Hifiman Arya. It was simply splendid 🙂

Apr 29, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #618 of 1,041
Thank you. Arya is a different beast against both i3 and X. Actually, Aryas are their opposite. Faster, much brighter, more linear and repeatable in their manner. LCD-X and i3 have more charm and weight in their sound, also more holographic soundstage. You are surrounded by sound, not being only a spectator. Also, build quality is better in my opinion in both Audeze than in Hifiman. None is perfect of course and Audeze has its own issues sometimes, but creaking components, rubbing the rotary mechanism, inaccurate alignment of enclosure components or even poor driver pairing are things not that uncommon with Hifiman. The only thing is if you are looking for warm and dark tonality instead of bright one.

If you want as much brightness in Audeze, go for: LCD-XC, iSine 20, Sine.
If you are looking for balanced-to-warm signature, check out: LCD-2F (especially 2016 version with older earpads), iSine 10, older LCD-4, LCD-2CB and probably latest LCD-3.
For more warm-tilted signature: LCD-GX, LCD-MX4, LCD-4z, LCD-i3 and modified LCD-X.
The most warm and dark are: LCD-X, LCD-2C, older LCD-2 and 3 (especially without Fazors).

Sine DX are most midrange-focused. I didn't listened LCD-i4 though so can't assign them to any group. I would expect them to be in second one, as balanced-to-warm. But it is just my guessing right now. LCD-1 also are unknown to me. Yet.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #619 of 1,041
Thank you. Arya is a different beast against both i3 and X. Actually, Aryas are their opposite. Faster, much brighter, more linear and repeatable in their manner. LCD-X and i3 have more charm and weight in their sound, also more holographic soundstage. You are surrounded by sound, not being only a spectator. Also, build quality is better in my opinion in both Audeze than in Hifiman. None is perfect of course and Audeze has its own issues sometimes, but creaking components, rubbing the rotary mechanism, inaccurate alignment of enclosure components or even poor driver pairing are things not that uncommon with Hifiman. The only thing is if you are looking for warm and dark tonality instead of bright one.

If you want as much brightness in Audeze, go for: LCD-XC, iSine 20, Sine.
If you are looking for balanced-to-warm signature, check out: LCD-2F (especially 2016 version with older earpads), iSine 10, older LCD-4, LCD-2CB and probably latest LCD-3.
For more warm-tilted signature: LCD-GX, LCD-MX4, LCD-4z, LCD-i3 and modified LCD-X.
The most warm and dark are: LCD-X, LCD-2C, older LCD-2 and 3 (especially without Fazors).

Sine DX are most midrange-focused. I didn't listened LCD-i4 though so can't assign them to any group. I would expect them to be in second one, as balanced-to-warm. But it is just my guessing right now. LCD-1 also are unknown to me. Yet.
Thank you kindly.

Apr 29, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #620 of 1,041
To add to my previous query, in my country, the LCD-X and LCD i3 fall within the same price range. I do not have extensive experience with IEMs, as all I've owned upto now, are open and closed back Over ears. Which one do you guys think, would be the best choice ?

If the only thing you're looking for is SQ and you don't care about form factor or other use cases than just listening in a stationary location in your home, I say go for the LCD-X.
It's not just about tonality. The full size Audezes will give you better depth, space, scale etc.
If you're looking for comfort, the ability to listen anywhere at home or quiet locations outside of home, go for the i3.

Apr 29, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #621 of 1,041
@Audeze I owned the iSine20 last year which I really enjoyed, but as the new LCDi3 now come with a BT module and more comfortable I'm interested in purchasing a pair.
I wondered if you could elaborate on the difference (improvement) in sound over the iSine20 and also, you've mentioned that it has a different diaphragm to the iSine20.
Can you say what's different about it please? The simple description the diaphragm on your website is the same as the iSine20 (Ultra-thin Uniforce™) so I'm curious.

My third question is, it's been mentioned that the tuning of the Cipher cable and the BT Module are quite different to each other. Can you confirm if this is true and if so, why that is?
Thanks.

@Audeze Bump

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #622 of 1,041
@davehutch I am not Audeze, but already posted sonic differences and measurements. BT module can be bought separately and used with iSine series (you have to buy a proper version), as same as new accessory kit with angled ear hooks and new ear fins. You can also use a heater to bend your existing flat ones. So the only thing you should consider is sound and its quality, not accessories. Difference between Ciphers exist probably due to different power output from integrated battery in CBT vs phone powering your conventional Cipher. Although only Audeze itself can confirm if there are other tweaks in DSP or different chips in both.

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #623 of 1,041
@davehutch I am not Audeze, but already posted sonic differences and measurements. BT module can be bought separately and used with iSine series (you have to buy a proper version), as same as new accessory kit with angled ear hooks and new ear fins. You can also use a heater to bend your existing flat ones. So the only thing you should consider is sound and its quality, not accessories. Difference between Ciphers exist probably due to different power output from integrated battery in CBT vs phone powering your conventional Cipher. Although only Audeze itself can confirm if there are other tweaks in DSP or different chips in both.
Thanks for this. I no longer have my iSines and would probably have to buy the LCD-i3 based on reviews. I still remember how the 20s sounded so really just hoping the i3s sound even a little more resolving with a wider soundstage and that would probably be enough for me.
I've always loved 'planar sound' and currently use a pair of Tin HiFi P1s, but could do with a wider/larger soundstage and not to be able to hear my heart beating during quiet passages :)
Ideally I would use the Cipher cable from my iPhone ( as long as they use a Lightning socket of course, which looks to end in 2021) and then switch to the BT Cipher cable when I'm on my Mac.
Would rather avoid full-sized planars if I can as I mostly listen through a Radon ES100 whilst I wander around the house, otherwise I might be entertaining the idea of Sivga P-IIs for example.
I understand Tin HiFi are shortly releasing a P2 though, so everything might change again. I'll go back and re-read your posts, so thanks again for your reply.

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #624 of 1,041
I no longer have my iSines and would probably have to buy the LCD-i3 based on reviews. I still remember how the 20s sounded so really just hoping the i3s sound even a little more resolving with a wider soundstage and that would probably be enough for me.

The sound will be more resolving with higher overall quality, but also warmer and with things I've already mentioned before, like with slower, more relaxing pace and slightly reduced super-low bass. Actually, i3 kinda sounds like with more rounded top and bottom end, while i20 have more agression in both areas. The soundstage won't be wider, but it will be deeper and more holographic. If you are going for not the biggest soundstage, but the most complete (width + depth + holo), i3 should deliver.
Unfortunately I don't know most of your gear, but you should expect something similar to HD6XX with heavily reinforced soundstage and quality.

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #625 of 1,041
The sound will be more resolving with higher overall quality, but also warmer and with things I've already mentioned before, like with slower, more relaxing pace and slightly reduced super-low bass. Actually, i3 kinda sounds like with more rounded top and bottom end, while i20 have more agression in both areas. The soundstage won't be wider, but it will be deeper and more holographic. If you are going for not the biggest soundstage, but the most complete (width + depth + holo), i3 should deliver.
Unfortunately I don't know most of your gear, but you should expect something similar to HD6XX with heavily reinforced soundstage and quality.
Thanks, that all makes sense. I'm working my way through a Google Translated version of your review but I wonder if you could just confirm...when testing the Cipher BT module, did you have the iSine CBT alongside the i3 CBT or did you simply move the same CBT between both IEMs?

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #626 of 1,041
I did both of these scenarios. Both CBTs have a slightly different tuning and both pairs - although listenable - performed better with a proper CBT hooked up. The most difference were in lows and highs, where both CBTs are trying to do various fixes sounded the most natural when paired with correct pair.

Apr 29, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #627 of 1,041
I did both of these scenarios. Both CBTs have a slightly different tuning and both pairs - although listenable - performed better with a proper CBT hooked up. The most difference were in lows and highs, where both CBTs are trying to do various fixes sounded the most natural when paired with correct pair.
Thanks, great review by the way. Really excellent

May 1, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #628 of 1,041
Received the LCDi3 headphones today. I feel like I have a good fit. At first listen using the CIPHER cable they're a bit thin, distant and with little bass impact.
Does anyone have any Audeze HQ app equalization settings they've built on top of the DSP already in the CIPHER cable that you are happy with and would care to share?
Thanks!

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #629 of 1,041
Received the LCDi3 headphones today. I feel like I have a good fit. At first listen using the CIPHER cable they're a bit thin, distant and with little bass impact.
Does anyone have any Audeze HQ app equalization settings they've built on top of the DSP already in the CIPHER cable that you are happy with and would care to share?
Thanks!
It requires a bass shelf to sound like consumer headphones. I use +4, +3, +2, and +1 dB on the low end in the Cipher graphic EQ.

May 2, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #630 of 1,041

LCD-i3 are very sensitive for proper fit, so take your time and play with other tips sizes and types. Also the way you are wearing them is important. I didn't perceived them as thin and with little bass impact unless too small tips were used. I suggest to try Cipher BT - is a bass booster for this series - and angles earhooks for the best stabilization and leveling the headphones towards ear canal properly. You can help yourself with bathroom mirror and see if i3 are more horizontally aligned or hanging down.

As for EQ, unfortunately I cannot provide any useful data here. If you are using mini jack 3,5 mm and for example foobar, Reveal+ Free can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back