Introducing the LCD-i3
May 10, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #646 of 1,041
All of your ripped content and purchased will play through UAPP, so you will still have access to the para eq settings.

I might be wrong and others will know better but if the Hiby eq is not a parametric eq then you won't be able to emulate the Cipher's sound.

I think the R5 has MSEB which is similar to a parametric eq, however I might be wrong on that.
Thank you very much. I will add that even playing downloaded content on my DAP directly from Qobuz to the i3, it still sounds great. The R5 dos have MSEB, but it is not that easy to figure out. Not sure if it can duplicate the cipher cable. I think that I got obsessive over the cipher profile and whether it could/should be duplicated when not using the cipher cable because of reading posts that seemed to indicate that the i3s wouldn’t sound very good unless properly profiled with something that duplicated what the cipher cable does. These is an expensive product and I just want to make sure I not adding a constant equalizing factor that makes them less of an attractive choice to keep. Sorry for the rambling. I really appreciate your insights.

May 10, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #647 of 1,041
Thank you very much. I will add that even playing downloaded content on my DAP directly from Qobuz to the i3, it still sounds great. The R5 dos have MSEB, but it is not that easy to figure out. Not sure if it can duplicate the cipher cable. I think that I got obsessive over the cipher profile and whether it could/should be duplicated when not using the cipher cable because of reading posts that seemed to indicate that the i3s wouldn’t sound very good unless properly profiled with something that duplicated what the cipher cable does. These is an expensive product and I just want to make sure I not adding a constant equalizing factor that makes them less of an attractive choice to keep. Sorry for the rambling. I really appreciate your insights.
Don't worry I had the same thoughts when I bought mine.
There is a thread elsewhere or a post in here with the settings you need for the parametric eq, assuming the MSEB works in the same way.

I might still have the email ingot from audeze with the target curve and settings.

May 10, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #648 of 1,041
May 13, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #649 of 1,041
Unfortunately new batches of LCD-i3 have some QC problems.
  • sloppy glue marks on sides where both shells are glued together,
  • too thick connectors (all cables) which cannot fit in the sockets,
  • forcing them into sockets can cause damage of inner plastic shell.
A situation in which the user of a new item must grind the fittings from the start in order to be able to use the product is - to say at least - dissapointing for 900$ product. The same cables from i3 have a tighter fit in iSine series, but still usable. Stock cables from iSine 10 or 20 are fully usable with i3. So there is clearly some problems with oversized connectors at the moment.

The good news is, those issues can be solved somehow.
As for connectors, after grinding and polishing = problem solved. All connectors have firm fit and there is no risk of damages to the headphones. But if you don't want to (or can't) do it and prefer stock sound via jack 3,5 mm or with Reveal, simply consider aftermarket cables.
As for glue marks, it can be masked via toothpick and careful removal of the excessive amount of glue. I understand this is an aftermath for issues with glueing, when shells could dissassemble itself, but still, for 900$ it should not exist.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #650 of 1,041
A situation in which the user of a new item must grind the fittings from the start in order to be able to use the product is - to say at least - dissapointing for 900$ product. The same cables from i3 have a tighter fit in iSine series, but still usable. Stock cables from iSine 10 or 20 are fully usable with i3. So there is clearly some problems with oversized connectors at the moment.

As for connectors, after grinding and polishing = problem solved. All connectors have firm fit and there is no risk of damages to the headphones. But if you don't want to (or can't) do it and prefer stock sound via jack 3,5 mm or with Reveal, simply consider aftermarket cables.
As for glue marks, it can be masked via toothpick and careful removal of the excessive amount of glue. I understand this is an aftermath for issues with glueing, when shells could dissassemble itself, but still, for 900$ it should not exist.
I'm assuming you've got good evidence of this?

May 13, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #651 of 1,041
I am holding it in my hands right now.

As for broken shells:

TX7zhnB.jpg

This is from different user, but he had the same issue reported: very tight connectors, almost impossible to plug in. And this is the result.

May 14, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #652 of 1,041
I am holding it in my hands right now.

As for broken shells:

TX7zhnB.jpg

This is from different user, but he had the same issue reported: very tight connectors, almost impossible to plug in. And this is the result.

So if they are faulty or not as should be, send them back for a replacement
To say 'new batches have qc problems' is a bit unfair on Audeze when it could just be you and another person's out of dozens or hundreds.

May 14, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #653 of 1,041

Mine have arrived and have the same issue. The CBT fit's quite loosely, but the Lightning Cipher cable if VERY tight, to the point where I'm afraid to actually push it in properly.
Also, excess glue showing.

However, I must say my biggest disappointment is that I can't use the equaliser on the BT Cipher cable. Have I missed something or do I have to put up with 'untweaked' tonality compared to the Cipher cable? I intended to use the BT cable quite a lot so I could listen off my Mac.
I've never seen this mentioned and just expected to use the EQ through the iOS app, in the same way I can with the ES100 or the BTR5!

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #654 of 1,041
So if they are faulty or not as should be, send them back for a replacement

dJMTbnm.jpg

This is the unit that came back from replacement in exchange for the broken one from previous pictures for the same user. Fortunately issues with my own unit are not yet eligible for warranty shipping of the whole package (headphones are working properly, tolerable FR differences between left and right driver, no obvious film rustling in drivers), and I do not want to test my luck by sending my unit and receive another one with worse condition.

To say 'new batches have qc problems' is a bit unfair on Audeze when it could just be you and another person's out of dozens or hundreds.

I am not the only one with such issues and it is not limited to just two persons out of dozens or hundreds. Dave's post above is another +1 for this matter, which I remind you is about 900$ premium product from respected audio brand. Also, QC problems seem to be not limited to only this particular series:

There may always be a defective pairs, it's perfectly normal for any mass produced audio gear, but if the problem is repetitive or if you are receiving defective unit for your own defective unit via RMA, I don't think this is a normal situation where you should not talk about it. I have had many Audeze models over the years, I also had technical problems and I had no problems with the RMA and their quality of service, fortunately. That's why I hope that Audeze will be able to solve these repetitive problems as soon as possible.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #655 of 1,041
Have I missed something or do I have to put up with 'untweaked' tonality compared to the Cipher cable? I intended to use the BT cable quite a lot so I could listen off my Mac.

Both Cipher BT and Cipher v2 have build-in DSP and are "tweaked". The difference is that Cipher BT has all settings fixed and always applied by default without any control from your side. Only Cipher v2 is configurable.

The only way you can apply anything via Cipher BT is to use external equalizer app (for example APO Equalizer while I am on PC, since I don't have any Apple device).

In theory, it is possible to mimic the tonality of Cipher v2 when you are working with Cipher BT, but you have to do it with some measuring device and perform matchmaking two frequency response graphs step by step via trial and error.

May 14, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #656 of 1,041
dJMTbnm.jpg

This is the unit that came back from replacement in exchange for the broken one from previous pictures for the same user. Fortunately issues with my own unit are not yet eligible for warranty shipping of the whole package (headphones are working properly, tolerable FR differences between left and right driver, no obvious film rustling in drivers), and I do not want to test my luck by sending my unit and receive another one with worse condition.

I am not the only one with such issues and it is not limited to just two persons out of dozens or hundreds. Dave's post above is another +1 for this matter, which I remind you is about 900$ premium product from respected audio brand. Also, QC problems seem to be not limited to only this particular series:

There may always be a defective pairs, it's perfectly normal for any mass produced audio gear, but if the problem is repetitive or if you are receiving defective unit for your own defective unit via RMA, I don't think this is a normal situation where you should not talk about it. I have had many Audeze models over the years, I also had technical problems and I had no problems with the RMA and their quality of service, fortunately. That's why I hope that Audeze will be able to solve these repetitive problems as soon as possible.

Thats fine I understand that but like you say for a $900 dollar product I'd be returning until I was satisfied

May 14, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #657 of 1,041
Yes, but my guts are telling me this could bring much more problems than solutions (at least until Audeze will keep their stuff together again). I can say my situation is a fortunate one, because not only I have some issues mostly with accessories, not headphones itself, but also I am cable maker, so paradoxically, this can be a great motivation for speeding up things and design my own cables for this model. Of course I will notify my shop about the problem and wish for cable exchange.

May 14, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #658 of 1,041
Both Cipher BT and Cipher v2 have build-in DSP and are "tweaked". The difference is that Cipher BT has all settings fixed and always applied by default without any control from your side. Only Cipher v2 is configurable.

The only way you can apply anything via Cipher BT is to use external equalizer app (for example APO Equalizer while I am on PC, since I don't have any Apple device).

In theory, it is possible to mimic the tonality of Cipher v2 when you are working with Cipher BT, but you have to do it with some measuring device and perform matchmaking two frequency response graphs step by step via trial and error.

fairly happy with the default DSP but I tweaked the tonality using the Audeze HQ app. I’ve managed to find HS Player on the App Store which seems good and then mimicked the EQ I’d made. So far so good. For the Mac I have eqMac which is system-wise so at the moment, all is good 😊 and BT is all operational

May 14, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #659 of 1,041
Glad you are happy with the results. I can't even get there, since for example Anker is currently not shipping to Europe and Belkin isn't so much of a choice either. I suspect the results with Cipher cable to be better than with Cipher BT alone.

May 14, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #660 of 1,041
Glad you are happy with the results. I can't even get there, since for example Anker is currently not shipping to Europe and Belkin isn't so much of a choice either. I suspect the results with Cipher cable to be better than with Cipher BT alone.
I got my anker from amazon uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back