Introducing the LCD-i3
May 14, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #661 of 1,041
...but only USB-C version I presume. USB-A would be the best for me though (mostly PC usage in my case).

By the way, I did full measurements of i10, i20 and i3 to see what is going on:

95ulOWR.jpg

I also did quick check for CBT tonality over stock cable. The results:

AvbpEkt.jpg

Aligned to 1 kHz mark, there is a typicall CBT bass boost in exchange for the lowest bass, but the DSP setting is heavily shifted towards 3 kHz boost instead of 4-7 kHz wide dip. I think Audeze was indeed trying to mimic the tonality of their LCD-3. Thus the name. Funny thing, the sound is more pleasant that way, even if it looks bad on graphs.

Also, Cipher BT has more distortion, especially in 3 kHz region, than when playing through for example even such old devices as my Asus Essence STX card.

As for jacks, it looks like LCD-i3 are more even this way and automatically easier to work with through carefully applied EQ and/or cables. The 8 kHz region is worth of attention - i3 can deliver there almost as many informations as i20.

One more discovery - the unit of i3 from my review had different markings on inner shells than the unit I possess from latest fresh batch. L-R marks are larger and centered. The text is "Planar Magnetic Earphones". The review version had them identical as on i10. Te text was only "Planar Magnetic". Since I didn't had any problems with connectors in review version, I can only guess the inner shell part is one of the the culprits. I also noticed better lowest bass. Now it is on the same level as i20. Graphs proves.

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #662 of 1,041
After spending some quality time with i3, comparing all the data, performing various trial and error patterns, I came with the most preferrable settings at the moment with APO Equalizer and dedicated EQ mode for i3 and DragonFly Cobalt:

UsCHbII.jpg

The goal was to simulate and combine both i10 and i20 together with warmth and smoothness of the first, and quality + brightness of the second. Or simply, boost and reduce two crucial areas that makes i20 and i3 so different from each other, to mimic the cheaper brother (within reason).

LCD-i3 FR graph and correction points:

WSoUvKa.jpg

As a result, I ditched CBT and Reveal as this should suffice for now for me and my taste. Although I still wouldn't trade them for my K1000 if I had to choose one, I hope this small and easy EQ setting will be helpful for someone, as i3 sounds more flat and natural in the long run. There is no bass boost in this setting, but it is also applicable easily if someone desire.

Also, I have confirmed that you can use legacy version of Reveal plugin with i4 settings - both i3 and i4 settings are exactly the same and did not differ between legacy Reveal and Reveal+.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #663 of 1,041
My lcd i3s just arrived today and what I can say is, thank goodness I've ordered a lightning to usb c adapter because lcd i3s to Lotoo Paw Gould Touch through the 3.5mm cable was horrible beyond expectations. Cipher cable is a must to make the lcd i3s listenable.

May 20, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #664 of 1,041
It depends on preferences. But some albums indeed deserves for i3 with corrections. That is why I am still working with some conventional EQ settings. 4th version:

NL7c5H0.jpg

At least before some serious work with Cipher, I am trying to find a proper combination for tonal and timbre correction without artifacts.

May 21, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #665 of 1,041
Does anyone know where I can buy the USB-A version of the Anker adaptor in the UK at the moment? None in stock in Amazon UK and Anker say they have no idea when they'll be sending more due to some sort of flu-like thing going around.

May 22, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #666 of 1,041
Nope, and you are probably forced just like me to order USB-C version and adapter from USB-C do USB-A in order to use it (or even test it). The reason as Covid-19 sounds pretty weak, since there is more of a pandemic situation in US at the moment than in Europe. But still, I think any adapter with MFI certification is a welcome one.

As for another days with EQ settings, things escalated to version 4.2:

1s6KkXp.jpg

From Cobalt's perspective, this is probably best I can do before switching back to pure APO and working step by step with unlimited bands.

May 30, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #667 of 1,041
I've received the Anker adapter from a fellow forum user and tested Cipher v2 vs CBT vs APO vs stock cable with no EQ/Reveal input. I've made a full comparison review here:
https://www.audiofanatyk.pl/porownanie-audeze-isine-10-vs-isine-20-vs-lcd-i3/
(Google Translate: https://translate.google.pl/transla...wnanie-audeze-isine-10-vs-isine-20-vs-lcd-i3/)

ltgkGZm.jpg

Notable insights:
  1. LCD-i3 are indeed very good with Cipher v2.
  2. Cipher BT is less bassy and more dark version of Cipher v2.
  3. Cipher v2 has worse super-low bass than any other connection.
  4. It is possible to emulate Cv2 effect with APO, since it is mostly high frequency bump and some bass boost with lower bass penality.
Simple correction with APO, before Anker, v.4.2 from my previous post:

isine-compare-frequency-response-graph-1900-03.jpg

The answer why people prefer Cipher v2 over other connections is because reinforced 4-7 kHz region and 8-12 kHz push in i20 fashion. Once I'll have some spare time, I'll try to sit down and match my APO settings with Cipher v2 results.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #668 of 1,041
I've received the Anker adapter from a fellow forum user and tested Cipher v2 vs CBT vs APO vs stock cable with no EQ/Reveal input. I've made a full comparison review here:
(Google Translate: https://translate.google.pl/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.audiofanatyk.pl/porownanie-audeze-isine-10-vs-isine-20-vs-lcd-i3/)

ltgkGZm.jpg

Notable insights:
  4. It is possible to emulate Cv2 effect with APO, since it is mostly high frequency bump and some bass boost with lower bass penality.

The answer why people prefer Cipher v2 over other connections is because reinforced 4-7 kHz region and 8-12 kHz push in i20 fashion. Once I'll have some spare time, I'll try to sit down and match my APO settings with Cipher v2 results.
Thanks for the link.
I was wondering if you can try out iSine cipher (both v1 and v2 and BT) with the LCD-i3. I assume they are tuned differently compare to the cipher cables for the LCD lineup?

Jun 1, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #669 of 1,041
(Google Translate: https://translate.google.pl/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.audiofanatyk.pl/porownanie-audeze-isine-10-vs-isine-20-vs-lcd-i3/)

ltgkGZm.jpg

Notable insights:

Thank you for your dedication to the isine and lcd ix series :) Your review provides a great insight for individuals who are wondering which sonic qualities of the 10, 20, or the i3, is the most appropriate for their taste. And just to add in the summary part of your review (I am pasting them here as reference if you don't mind):
  • Diameter - vocal properties: i20 = i10> i3
This is definitely true as even with the cipher cable, I find myself adding +5dB around ~2500Hz to liven up the vocals of the i3s.

Jun 1, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #670 of 1,041
@calpiyuki
Thank you very much for your kind words and even more because polish is not the best language to work with translations.

I see the translator did it wrong and put "Diameter" instead of "Midrange". This is because I used the word "Średnica" which means both. I should use something like "Tony średnie" or "Średni zakres" which should be translated as "Middle tones" and "Medium range". Or simply "Wokale" (Vocals).
Yes, the vocals with iSine 20 were soooooo good and in my personal opinion at the same level as LCD-2 with much smaller driver diameters and tiny form. As for LCD-i3 this is definitely kind of trade-off: we've got more diffused vocals but with better separation and in 3D environment. For monitoring purposes and simply enjoying the vocals, i10/i20 are better choice. You should try Cipher, since it has significant 2,5 kHz bump, probably because exactly that reason.

@Ocelitgol
Thank you too. Yes, they have different tune. There are two groups: LX/VR/i10/i20 and i3/i4. Using Cipher from the first group on the second one is possible and I did it in my review from pure curiosity, but while with the most part the sound is similar, there is a difference in tuning for upper-mids and highs. This causes the sound to be over-colored and with slightly unnatural timbre.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #671 of 1,041
@calpiyuki
Thank you very much for your kind words and even more because polish is not the best language to work with translations.

I see the translator did it wrong and put "Diameter" instead of "Midrange". This is because I used the word "Średnica" which means both. I should use something like "Tony średnie" or "Średni zakres" which should be translated as "Middle tones" and "Medium range". Or simply "Wokale" (Vocals).
Yes, the vocals with iSine 20 were soooooo good and in my personal opinion at the same level as LCD-2 with much smaller driver diameters and tiny form. As for LCD-i3 this is definitely kind of trade-off: we've got more diffused vocals but with better separation and in 3D environment. For monitoring purposes and simply enjoying the vocals, i10/i20 are better choice. You should try Cipher, since it has significant 2,5 kHz bump, probably because exactly that reason.

@Ocelitgol
Thank you too. Yes, they have different tune. There are two groups: LX/VR/i10/i20 and i3/i4. Using Cipher from the first group on the second one is possible and I did it in my review from pure curiosity, but while with the most part the sound is similar, there is a difference in tuning for upper-mids and highs. This causes the sound to be over-colored and with slightly unnatural timbre.

Thank you. That's too bad because I was hoping to get the iSine for i3 since the tuning of lcd lineup leaves something to desire.

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #672 of 1,041
I've got a question about using the Audeze plugin through Roon with the LCD-i3. I've read that the DSP profile for the i3 and i4 are similar, so I've been using the i4 DSP setting, but every time I enable it, I get a really bad crackling or buzzing from both earpieces, but especially the right. Has anyone else experienced this? Are my drivers bad? Source is my computer to Grace SDAC-Balanced to Monolith 887. I'm definitely not listening at super loud volumes.

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #673 of 1,041
I've got a question about using the Audeze plugin through Roon with the LCD-i3. I've read that the DSP profile for the i3 and i4 are similar, so I've been using the i4 DSP setting, but every time I enable it, I get a really bad crackling or buzzing from both earpieces, but especially the right. Has anyone else experienced this? Are my drivers bad? Source is my computer to Grace SDAC-Balanced to Monolith 887. I'm definitely not listening at super loud volumes.

I'm not sure what is causing this but can confirm I dont get this issue.
I use the same DSP setting and my source is the ifi black micro idsd

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #674 of 1,041
Did you try headroom compensation with -8dB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back