Introducing the LCD-i3
Jun 2, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #677 of 1,041
In the DSP settings there's a "Headroom Management" option at the top. It applies a gain to the incoming audio before applying the rest of the DSP chain (e.g. Audeze preset).
You want to add a negative gain (-8dB).

Edit: didn't see you answered your own question. Leaving this here for others.

Jun 6, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #678 of 1,041
Guys, just ordered today an i3, too. Wanted an upgrade from iSine20 for all Apple IOS devices.

So far I always used the iSine. The sound is a bit too "hard" for me and I want something finer. I think from what I've read here, they can clearly do that. But I'll keep the 20s. For certain music they are perfect.

I also have the Cipher2 for the i4. But that is not recommended. I only need the i4 stationary. They just need a "Hemi-V8", or they're dead. But then they are absolutely perfect and beat almost everything you can buy. Today, listen "Carmen" with iFi Pro iCan and ADI-2 DAC, there in tube mode balanced via XLR. Simply the absolute dream. There is really nothing that can be improved.

I'm looking forward to the i3, and I'll tell you about the comparisons to the other two!

Jun 6, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #679 of 1,041
Guys, just ordered today an i3, too. Wanted an upgrade from iSine20 for all Apple IOS devices.

So far I always used the iSine. The sound is a bit too "hard" for me and I want something finer. I think from what I've read here, they can clearly do that. But I'll keep the 20s. For certain music they are perfect.

I also have the Cipher2 for the i4. But that is not recommended. I only need the i4 stationary. They just need a "Hemi-V8", or they're dead. But then they are absolutely perfect and beat almost everything you can buy. Today, listen "Carmen" with iFi Pro iCan and ADI-2 DAC, there in tube mode balanced via XLR. Simply the absolute dream. There is really nothing that can be improved.

I'm looking forward to the i3, and I'll tell you about the comparisons to the other two!

My i4s are coming this Monday. Is your recommendation of not using cipher2 for i4 based on no need for mobility alone or is sq part of it as well?

Jun 6, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #680 of 1,041
I have bought the Cipher 2 for the i4. Wouldn't do that today. The i4 needs absolutely no EQ, is absolutely perfect as it is. The problem with the Cipher is, it has too little power! It's a pity for the money, if you use the i4 with the cipher, it can't reach its potential by far. The resistance is simply bigger and therefore it needs more thrust.

I used the i4 for a long time via ADI-2 DAC. It worked great and thought sensational. Recently I bought the Pro iCAN and ordered a silver cable with XLR from Moonaudio. Tried it today. It's a whole new world again. It really blossoms again, basses stronger and more contoured, actually a small format LCD-4. That's where the whole class and outstanding quality of the i4 comes into its own.

But yes, just in case of an emergency with the cipher, you get exact volume, it's no problem, it sounds, but as I said, it doesn't do justice to the i4. So I never used the cipher again and used the iSine20 via iPhone, there it is no problem. So I ordered the i3 now, so that I can get much better quality via iPhone and iPad. But I am well aware that the i3 will never beat the i4 stationary. It also doesn't seem to be as neutral as the i4.

As I said, the i4 runs perfectly without any EQ adjustment! The sound is just gigantic and you have to buy a 5K upwardly open big HP to keep up with it. Of course it's much more comfortable like the big ones and a stage and openness like the big ones. It's a listener that I would never give away again.

So I'm curious how the i3 will perform in contrast to the i4, and I'm sure I'll try it on the iCAN balanced. But I clearly expect that it can't hold a candle to the i4.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #681 of 1,041
IMG_0163.jpeg

This is you need for the i4!! :thumbsup: :relaxed::L3000:

Jun 6, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #682 of 1,041
IMG_0163.jpeg

[/QUOTE
IMG_0163.jpeg

I didn't know I will ever say this but I wish it's Monday tomorrow haha :D Thanks for sharing your setup and for giving a detailed response. I will be running the i4s just like the i3s right now through usb audio out of Lotoo Paw Gold Touch. Lots of testing will be done w/ and w/o cipher cable.

Jun 10, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #683 of 1,041
So, Postman was here! :relaxed:

Attachments

• IMG_0826.jpeg
    IMG_0826.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0827.jpeg
    IMG_0827.jpeg
    446.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0828.jpeg
    IMG_0828.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0829.jpeg
    IMG_0829.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0169.jpeg
    IMG_0169.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 0
Jun 10, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #684 of 1,041
To each device its headphones! Audeze family! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::beerchug::L3000:

IMG_0168.jpeg

Jun 10, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #685 of 1,041
First impression of the i3 very good! Clear improvement on the iSine20!

But I need time to compare them all on different amps and different combinations! But I will do a detailed comparison later!

Jun 18, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #688 of 1,041
I just received mine today.

Here’s how I have it set it up:
  • Cipher Cable connected to iPhone
  • Grooved Tips - seem to provide better bass compared to the smooth tips?
  • Ear fins - seem to work much better for me than the ear hooks. The ear hooks basically prevent the headphones from falling off your head but do not keep them seated as well as the fins do. The headphones would work their way out of my ear canal if I chew, this doesn’t happen with the fins.
I am very happy with the sound, have not yet tried different EQ settings using the Audeze HQ app.
Any other recommendations /suggestions?

Jun 18, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #689 of 1,041

Users who are viewing this thread

Back