Introducing the HIFIMAN Sundara Closed-Back
Oct 17, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #136 of 203
Differing opinions and experiences are interesting. I wonder if those who did not like the closed version were perhaps expecting the same sound as the open, and the folks who like the closed are not thinking about a closed version of the open Sundara, but something unique unto itself.
Exactly. If it was named something different, there wouldn't be as many comparisons. I'm not sure why anyone would expect them to sound close or the same. Ones open, the other closed.

Oct 20, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #137 of 203
This week's second review on Headfonia is all about the Sundara Closed-Back. An article by @Virtu Fortuna

https://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-sundara-closed-back-review/

chrome_2022-10-20_08-47-23.png

Oct 20, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #138 of 203
Oct 25, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #140 of 203
So it’s “quite bright” in the treble and the bass is “the best part”?
He mentioned the 'bright familiy tuning', I don't hear any particular brightness, is very different from the open Sundara, which I don't like due lack of sub bass.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #141 of 203
I've only had these for a week, running them off a Questyle QPM, Shanling EM5 and Bakoon HPA-21 and I must say I quite like them.

The reported (and audible) tuning deviations from the Harman target and open Sundara had me worried when I was buying, but those worries were misplaced. The bass extension and articluation are very good, the midrange is open and detailed despite having a clear dip at the midrange to treble transition and the treble is smooth with a little sparkle on top. Vocals on these are amazing if a little pushed forward at the lower end of the vocal range. The result is a slightly warm, open and fun signature.

I think Hifiman specifically tuned in the frequency deviations (lower midrange and lower treble dips) to add a bit of articulation as well as to achieve a more open and spacious feeling with a closed headphone. For me the trade-offs (specifically some percussion instruments can seem a bit recessed in the mix and timbre can sound slightly off in some instances) are quite worth it.

I realize that it's normal in any such hobby, but sometimes we tend to concentrate too much on adherence to a target rather than how the headphones as a whole sound with music. If all headphones were tuned the same life would be boring and I am more tolerant of frequency response deviations at this price range than I am for TOTL units.

Switching back and forth between these and my T+A Solitaire P I never felt as if I was taking a huge step back. Yes the SolP is objectively and subjectively better but for someone interested in a relatively inexpensive, decent closed back for casual listening or just starting into the hobby the Sundara Closed plus a good dap or amp would be an excellent starting point. I suspect these will also be great for modding and pad rolling.

Oct 30, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #144 of 203
Amazing to hear that review call them bright in the high mids while others here felt the exact opposite up there. Maybe there is variation pair to pair?
I had a loaner Questyle CMA 15 and on that amp/dac combo I could hear a bit hardness/too much emphasis in that region. This was mitigated when I used he ADI-2 (AKM4493) as a dac for the CMA 15.

On my current combo of Kinki THR-1 and SMSL SI-10 I also don't hear that. I would have to say that it depends on the specific chain you are using.

I would speculate that the older Violectric V280/281 and the newer V222/202 would probably work well for the AS.

EDIT: Sorry, my mistake. I thought this was the Arya Stealth thread. I wonder if my reasoning above still stands for the Sundara Closed..?

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #145 of 203
Amazing to hear that review call them bright in the high mids while others here felt the exact opposite up there. Maybe there is variation pair to pair?
I don't think it's amazing or odd at all. This happens with most every headphone, making it impossible to know for yourself until you put it on your head.

Oct 30, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #146 of 203
Truly shocked at how awful these cans were. Avoid like the plague. I had tempered expectations already but cannot believe Hifiman would release this product. This is bad even for a prototype in my opinion. Great design and good isolation, but that means little if the sound and tonality is this bad.

Oct 30, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #147 of 203
Truly shocked at how awful these cans were. Avoid like the plague. I had tempered expectations already but cannot believe Hifiman would release this product. This is bad even for a prototype in my opinion. Great design and good isolation, but that means little if the sound and tonality is this bad.
As someone stated before, these are very devisive. Some will like it and some won't and that's OK. One thing they are not (despite their name) is a closed version of the Sundara. Anyone expecting that is likely to be dissapointed. Clearly you are!

For me the Sundara Open lacked bass and sounded a little edgy in the upper mids so the closed version is welcomed.

Jan 10, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #149 of 203
idk if someone needs to hear that but i've returned mine. it was pretty awful. felt like i'm using 2000's internet cafe headphones... additionally i paid extra 100 bucks for it because it isn't being sold in turkey (and customs bull..)

i'm using german maestro 8.35d for years and it's my reference. i'm thinking about getting beyer 1770 pro

Jan 10, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #150 of 203
i'm thinking about getting beyer 1770 pro

While I don't think the Sundara CB is an amazing headphone, I really couldn't get along with the DT1770 Pro.

To me it sounded like the bass was disconnected from the rest of the frequency range, sort of like a sub+midrange that somebody forgot to set the crossover on.

As always, YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back