Introducing the HIFIMAN Sundara Closed-Back
Jun 21, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #166 of 203
Can I get a sanity check here? I reached out to Hifiman and asked where I could get additional earpad rings for the Closed-Back and they sent me this link.

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/earpad-mounting-rings.html

I have now told them 3 times that those do not look like the ones holding the Closed-Back pads on (I have specified "Closed-Back" in each exchange, including the initial request), and they keep saying "They are compatible with all our round cup headphones."...

Am I just crazy and those will work, or do they not know what they are talking about?

Jul 1, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #167 of 203
After owning the Sundara Closed Back for a couple of weeks, I've had time to try them with different amps and DACs. I can't say that I've heard any difference between the 3 DACs I currently own. What I have noticed is the difference between my three amps.

When played through the two solid-state amps, a mid-forward presentation is there and not in a good way. I've never been a fan of that type of headphone. Most certainly one of the reasons I've never gelled with the AKGs I've tried over the years. When played through the WA6, the Sundara CBacks really shine. Taking the linearity of the two solid-state amps into consideration, I'm guessing the WA6 isn't a very linear amp as far as frequency response. LOL!

All kidding aside, call it synergy, call it what you like, my experience is fully subjective since I have no way to test my theory other than to eq some of the mids out of my music when played through the solid-state amps. That does seem to help, but without any way to test my hypothesis, well...

With the Woo, they're keepers - and that's what I'll do. Different rooms, different setups, each with a tone of its own.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #168 of 203
After owning the Sundara Closed Back for a couple of weeks, I've had time to try them with different amps and DACs. I can't say that I've heard any difference between the 3 DACs I currently own. What I have noticed is the difference between my three amps.

When played through the two solid-state amps, a mid-forward presentation is there and not in a good way. I've never been a fan of that type of headphone. Most certainly one of the reasons I've never gelled with the Audio Technicas I've tried over the years. When played through the WA6, the Sundara CBacks really shine. Taking the linearity of the two solid-state amps into consideration, I'm guessing the WA6 isn't a very linear amp as far as frequency response. LOL!

All kidding aside, call it synergy, call it what you like, my experience is fully subjective since I have no way to test my theory other than to eq some of the mids out of my music when played through the solid-state amps. That does seem to help, but without any way to test my hypothesis, well...

With the Woo, they're keepers - and that's what I'll do. Different rooms, different setups, each with a tone of its own.

Just thought I'd share my experience.
Did you use the high output setting or low output setting by any chance?

I ask because low output setting has lower output impedance and high output setting has much higher impedance which will change the frequency response.

That being said when I borrowed my friend's WA6 I did start with low output setting and found it very boring and unremarkable, then out of the whim I tried high output setting that's when things "wake up". Despite being "wrong" for my TH900 (25 ohm). But sounds better.

Now I wonder Sundara Closed being planar typically pair better with solid state, BUT as you said maybe with the synergy or whatever probably do actually sound better with a hybrid tube amp of some sort.

Personally for me ever since I switch to hybrid tube amp I haven't gone back. I currently have Lyr 3 and Project Solstice on my desk. Headphone is TH900. So I wonder if Sundara Closed is similar to this case.

Jul 1, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #169 of 203
Did you use the high output setting or low output setting by any chance?

I ask because low output setting has lower output impedance and high output setting has much higher impedance which will change the frequency response.

That being said when I borrowed my friend's WA6 I did start with low output setting and found it very boring and unremarkable, then out of the whim I tried high output setting that's when things "wake up". Despite being "wrong" for my TH900 (25 ohm). But sounds better.

Now I wonder Sundara Closed being planar typically pair better with solid state, BUT as you said maybe with the synergy or whatever probably do actually sound better with a hybrid tube amp of some sort.

Personally for me ever since I switch to hybrid tube amp I haven't gone back. I currently have Lyr 3 and Project Solstice on my desk. Headphone is TH900. So I wonder if Sundara Closed is similar to this case.
Great question!

I'm using the low-output setting on my WA6. I rarely use the high-output setting with low-impedance phones because, in my opinion, it ups the mids a bit much for my tastes. My T90s, being a 250 ohm headphone, sound great on either setting. I think our experiences are an excellent example of how we each have different tastes with it comes to what we hear from our equipment.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #170 of 203
DSC-0778.jpg

I have finally published my Sundara Closed review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hifiman-sundara-closed-back.26083/review/31385/

Won't spoil much, but I'll tell you that I really like it =) A very fun-sounding pair of headphones that I can listen to without worrying about any form of fatigue.

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #171 of 203
Jul 31, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #172 of 203
That's a great picture! What are you shooting with? I can see the skills are up top :)
Thanks for the compliment! It's nowhere near the quality of pics you guys output!!!

I take pics with a Nikon D3300 and a stock kit lens, really the bare minimum, nothing fancy :/

Jul 31, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #174 of 203
Thanks for the compliment! It's nowhere near the quality of pics you guys output!!!

I take pics with a Nikon D3300 and a stock kit lens, really the bare minimum, nothing fancy :/
It's the skills man! You are doing great and I hope to see more!

Our best photograph has to be Paweł, he taught me a ton about it. Most of my pics are done with Sony A6000 with a stock lens. Nothing fancy either.

Oct 21, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #175 of 203
I decided to give these a go at the sale price. Looking forward to hearing what they can do.

Oct 29, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #176 of 203
Giving these a go now. I'm listening to the Sundara Closed on my Cen.Grand Silver Fox with the Chord Dave as DAC. I must say my initial impressions are very positive. The bass has nice impact, instrument separation is good with nice width and depth to the sound for a closed headphone. Music doesn't sound muffled or blended and that's because the clarity on the Sundara Closed is quite proficient. Outside of the slight bass emphasis, the sound is fairly balanced. Needless to say, the Sundara Closed sounds really good on high quality components. So there is a sense of scalability with these.

The build quality is nice, but the packing is very basic. The included headstand is a nice touch, but I won't be using it. The Sundara Closed are also easy to drive.

More on the sound of these, there's a hint of musical warmth in the Sundara Closed when compared my HEKse's and HEK V2's. Of course, the Sundara Closed aren't nearly as detailed, resolving, or open sounding as those headphones, but that is to be expected. That's not to say that the Sundara Closed don't have good technical ability because they do. For the price, the Sundara Closed is a very competent and competitive headphone that I expect to get better over time based on what I'm hearing now. I really can't think of a headphone that offers the sonic traits and performance of the Sundara Closed at the going price. Even at regular price, I think these are hard to beat.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #178 of 203
Giving these a go now. I'm listening to the Sundara Closed on my Cen.Grand Silver Fox with the Chord Dave as DAC. I must say my initial impressions are very positive. The bass has nice impact, instrument separation is good with nice width and depth to the sound for a closed headphone. Music doesn't sound muffled or blended and that's because the clarity on the Sundara Closed is quite proficient. Outside of the slight bass emphasis, the sound is fairly balanced. Needless to say, the Sundara Closed sounds really good on high quality components. So there is a sense of scalability with these.

The build quality is nice, but the packing is very basic. The included headstand is a nice touch, but I won't be using it. The Sundara Closed are also easy to drive.

More on the sound of these, there's a hint of musical warmth in the Sundara Closed when compared my HEKse's and HEK V2's. Of course, the Sundara Closed aren't nearly as detailed, resolving, or open sounding as those headphones, but that is to be expected. That's not to say that the Sundara Closed don't have good technical ability because they do. For the price, the Sundara Closed is a very competent and competitive headphone that I expect to get better over time based on what I'm hearing now. I really can't think of a headphone that offers the sonic traits and performance of the Sundara Closed at the going price. Even at regular price, I think these are hard to beat.
Bought a pair of Dekoni Elite Fenestrated pads with the hopes of increasing treble response. They helped a little. My Beyerdynamic T90 and Denon AH-D5000 have spoiled me. I think my Sundara CB sounds better when driven by my computer vs. any of my headphone amps. Go figure...

Oct 30, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #179 of 203
Bought a pair of Dekoni Elite Fenestrated pads with the hopes of increasing treble response. They helped a little. My Beyerdynamic T90 and Denon AH-D5000 have spoiled me. I think my Sundara CB sounds better when driven by my computer vs. any of my headphone amps. Go figure...
The pads are okay for me so far. On your computer are you using any EQ? I know the Sundara Closed are easy to drive, but I believe better sound can be had from dedicated sources. What components do you have?

Nov 1, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #180 of 203
Hello, I'd like to know if pads are replaceable on this headphone ? Are they glued ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back