Introducing the HIFIMAN Sundara Closed-Back
Nov 1, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #181 of 203
Hello, I'd like to know if pads are replaceable on this headphone ? Are they glued ?
To my understanding that there is mounting ring but it's glued to the pad and it's also unique to this model and not the same as other Hifiman models.

So if you're able to buy more pads then it's replaceable. Or you might have to sacrifice a pair of pads to get the mounting ring then you can use it for other pads I think.....

This is from what I read....

Nov 4, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #182 of 203
The pads are okay for me so far. On your computer are you using any EQ? I know the Sundara Closed are easy to drive, but I believe better sound can be had from dedicated sources. What components do you have?
FLAC files on a dedicated computer into a Teac UD501, Topping E70 or Topping E70V then sent to a Topping L70, Woo WA6, or a Rotel Component system feeding a VinylFlat Can Opener. Lossless play with no DSP. The Sundara CB is a dark sounding headphone to me. No DSP either when plugged into the laptop - just the typical leaner sound. That leaner sound from the laptop is, in my estimation, the reason why the Sundara CB sounds better.

Nov 4, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #183 of 203
Hello, I'd like to know if pads are replaceable on this headphone ? Are they glued ?
Original pads are replaceable. They are glued to the OEM mounting ring. I had to sacrifice the original pads in order to re-use the mounting ring with my new pads as Dekoni doesn't offer an after-market mounting ring for the Closed Backs.

Nov 4, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #184 of 203
FLAC files on a dedicated computer into a Teac UD501, Topping E70 or Topping E70V then sent to a Topping L70, Woo WA6, or a Rotel Component system feeding a VinylFlat Can Opener. Lossless play with no DSP. The Sundara CB is a dark sounding headphone to me. No DSP either when plugged into the laptop - just the typical leaner sound. That leaner sound from the laptop is, in my estimation, the reason why the Sundara CB sounds better.
If you like they sound coming from your setup then that is all that matters. We all hear things differently.

I agree about the Sundara Closed having a warmer tilt to their sound. Especially when compared to other Hifiman offerings. Having a brighter front end like the one you have is the perfect pairing for the Sundara Closed. My setup is on the big, spacious, musical side of things. Listening to the Sundara on my system would probably give you a different listening experience :smile_phones:, but no less enjoyable.

Nov 4, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #186 of 203
If you like they sound coming from your setup then that is all that matters. We all hear things differently.

I agree about the Sundara Closed having a warmer tilt to their sound. Especially when compared to other Hifiman offerings. Having a brighter front end like the one you have is the perfect pairing for the Sundara Closed. My setup is on the big, spacious, musical side of things. Listening to the Sundara on my system would probably give you a different listening experience :smile_phones:, but no less enjoyable.
Yes, different setups can have different sounds. If I want to listen to big, spacious, and musical - I go to my music room and do so with a different set of headphones. If I just want to jam - I plug directly into my laptop or phone. The sound card on my laptop isn't pushing any amount of power and I'm thinking that lack of power is what makes the CB appear to brighten up. (So much so that I wonder if maybe the Sundara CB was designed with that in mind.) Regardless, it's my experience that a dark headphone is a dark headphone and no amount of big, spacious, and musical will change that.

Nov 5, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #187 of 203
You guys are making me want to buy one now....
:sweat_smile:
Do it!
1699216609184.png
:sunglasses:

I got one a few days ago and really like it

Nov 5, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #188 of 203
Just received mine. Try to find a solution to change pads without sacrifying the orginal pads.

Nov 17, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #190 of 203
Giving these a go now. I'm listening to the Sundara Closed on my Cen.Grand Silver Fox with the Chord Dave as DAC. I must say my initial impressions are very positive. The bass has nice impact, instrument separation is good with nice width and depth to the sound for a closed headphone. Music doesn't sound muffled or blended and that's because the clarity on the Sundara Closed is quite proficient. Outside of the slight bass emphasis, the sound is fairly balanced. Needless to say, the Sundara Closed sounds really good on high quality components. So there is a sense of scalability with these.

The build quality is nice, but the packing is very basic. The included headstand is a nice touch, but I won't be using it. The Sundara Closed are also easy to drive.

More on the sound of these, there's a hint of musical warmth in the Sundara Closed when compared my HEKse's and HEK V2's. Of course, the Sundara Closed aren't nearly as detailed, resolving, or open sounding as those headphones, but that is to be expected. That's not to say that the Sundara Closed don't have good technical ability because they do. For the price, the Sundara Closed is a very competent and competitive headphone that I expect to get better over time based on what I'm hearing now. I really can't think of a headphone that offers the sonic traits and performance of the Sundara Closed at the going price. Even at regular price, I think these are hard to beat.
Did you consider the HE-R10D at all? Both are at Amazing prices vs their MSRP.

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #191 of 203
Broke down and ordered a pair of these since they're on sell. Literally the only expectation I have for them is that they'll have less bass than the R9. Other than that, I'm going in completely blind.

I swear Hifiman prices their headphones for people like me to scoop up as many as possible. lol

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #192 of 203
Broke down and ordered a pair of these since they're on sell. Literally the only expectation I have for them is that they'll have less bass than the R9. Other than that, I'm going in completely blind.

I swear Hifiman prices their headphones for people like me to scoop up as many as possible. lol
Having no expectations can be good. :)

And at $149, I agree they're hard not to scoop up. If I hadn't bought them used for $300 year ago -- and that was a good price, incidentally -- I would definitely have bought them at $149. Heck, I kept thinking, "do I need another pair?" :sweat_smile:

Oh, and I do use my Sundara Closed Back more than the HE-R9.

I love the former as an all-around portable closed back (small case relative to my big cans like LCD-2 Closed), but the HE-R9 more as a "fun phone" for its unique sound signature.

Nov 30, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #193 of 203
Just got these, and first impressions are extremely positive. Isolation is superb; probably the best of my whole collection, with excellent build quality. They feel much more solid than the R10D (what's up with that, Hifiman?).

The sound provides a nice contrast to the R9/R10Ds. These sound a little more reference-like overall, with no major peaks or dips. Maybe a little bit of a rise in the treble, with a small dip in the upper mids, but noting excessive in either case.

I'm having a hard time getting an ear for the soundstage, though. Sometimes it seems fairly large, other times it seems pretty compressed. Going to have to give them more time to figure out what's up with that.

They might lack the wild fun of the R9/R10D, but I could see myself holding on to these for a while. The isolation will make them a godsend in the summer when I blast my AC 24/7, and they might be small and attractive enough to bring with me to work. (I wouldn't be caught dead wearing the R9/R10D in public. :darthsmile:)

Edit: scratch that part about "a bit of a rise in the treble", it's more than that. I put this on at it just about shredded my ears.

It's sort of a hard song on a lot of headphones because it's naturally bright, but many other headphones can handle it with more grace. Namely the R9/R10D.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #194 of 203
Just received mine. Try to find a solution to change pads without sacrifying the orginal pads.
You don't have to sacrifice the stock pads. There are adapter rings available e.g. like the ones from this British Shop:
https://customcans.co.uk/shop/product/3d-printed-hifiman-sundara-closed-adaper-rings/
about 10 pounds a pair. Reliable shop - bought several times from them. You may also want to have a look at their youtube channel.

Edit: just noticed that they were already linked above...

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #195 of 203
Thanks a lot for all the information on the Sundara Closed.
I own a Sundara Open and after some EQ (thanks to Oratory1990) I am really happy with it. For some reasons I also needed a closed back and after the price drop to 169€ I ordered the Sundara Closed. I also EQed it according to Oratory1990. Sound wise I am really satisfied! Comfort is also great (after some bending :wink:. Noise cancelling is minimal for a closed back (most reviewers mentioned this) - best comparison is the Fostex TH900 MK2. Sound quality after EQ of Sundara Closed is really comparable to the Fostex - for 1/10 of the price! Unfortunately the Sundara Closed shares one other property with the Fostex:

The frame of the ear cups inserts a lot of noise from the cable. No matter what cable I am using - if you touch the cable it crackles annoyingly…
If I use all my cables tested (6 different manufacturers) together with the Sundara Open: No complain! The metal frame seems to be much more forgiving when it comes to cable noise.
Up to now I have no solution for this issue….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back