Introducing the HIFIMAN Sundara Closed-Back
Jan 11, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #151 of 203
idk if someone needs to hear that but i've returned mine. it was pretty awful. felt like i'm using 2000's internet cafe headphones... additionally i paid extra 100 bucks for it because it isn't being sold in turkey (and customs bull..)
This is odd, what used to drive them? I had listen many headphones, those are in no way 'cafe headphones'. what headphones you have now?

Feb 16, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #153 of 203
I ended up with Sundara(OB) + modmic for gaming

Anybody using the open back version and mod mic?

Im wondering how good the mod mic is

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #154 of 203
Hello Friends,

I have just posted my review for the Sundara Closed Back on my Youtube. I have a special place for the Sundara series as the OG open-back was my first full-sized headphone back in the day. Closed-back one sounds better with better sub-bass, superb build, and richer tone for vocals and instruments. Love this beautiful Headphone.

You can check out my complete review here:-

P.S.: Please forgive me for my bad English.

Jun 15, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #157 of 203
Have a set of these coming, figured at the $229 sale price they were worth a shot. My current favorites are Focal Elegia, so we will see how these compare.

Jun 17, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #159 of 203
Definitely update once you receive it. :thumbsup:

Just a little bit of listening so far and they are pretty good. Compared to the Elegia they are a bit brighter and seem to have a bit more bass presence as well.

Jun 19, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #160 of 203
Just a little bit of listening so far and they are pretty good. Compared to the Elegia they are a bit brighter and seem to have a bit more bass presence as well.

Spent some time on them in the last couple days and I am quite enjoying them. A nice balanced sound, albeit slightly V or U (which is my personal favorite) shaped with good weight in the sub & bass region and a bit of "sparkle" up top. That said, the star of the show is the same level of clarity / detail & separation that I noticed on the Aeon RT when I tried it, that I assume is attributed to the speed of the planars. The difference to the Aeon RT is the additional bass presence the Sundara Closed has, which is appreciated due to the amount of EDM I listen to.

I'm currently on my 3rd full Beatles album (my favorite band of all time) and the clarity / detail & speed really lends itself well to the later recordings when they got more technical in that arena.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #161 of 203
Spent some time on them in the last couple days and I am quite enjoying them. A nice balanced sound, albeit slightly V or U (which is my personal favorite) shaped with good weight in the sub & bass region and a bit of "sparkle" up top. That said, the star of the show is the clarity / detail & separation that I noticed on the Aeon RT when I tried it, that I assume is attributed to the speed of the planars. The difference to the Aeon RT is the additional bass presence, which is appreciated due to the amount of EDM I listen to.

I'm currently on my 3rd full Beatles album (my favorite band of all time) and the clarity / detail & speed really lends itself well to the later recordings when they got more technical in that arena.
Are you saying that the Aeon RT had more bass presence than the Sundara closed?

Jun 19, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #162 of 203
Are you saying that the Aeon RT had more bass presence than the Sundara closed?

No, sorry, the Aeon had less. That was the reason I returned them.

Jun 19, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #163 of 203
Jun 19, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #164 of 203
Anyone know where to get some pad mounting rings? It looks to be different than the regular Sundara...

Jun 20, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #165 of 203
Just received these today. I had no intention of buying them originally, but when I saw the sale price, I couldn't resist trying out a new closed-back, as someone who is ultimately a fan of closed-backs over open-backs.

I'm impressed with the sound. I was concerned I might find them too bright, but they are not. They are brighter than the usual sound signature I prefer, but they are not too bright and I am not hearing any sibilance with treble-heavy tracks, like I usually do with headphones I reject for brightness. The bass has a decent punch, and the soundstage is decently wide for a closed-back and doesn't sound that different from my Sennheisers. This is the first closed-back planar that I've actually liked. And like my Sennheisers, they are sounding great with every genre I throw at them.

My main complaint would be the poor isolation, which seems to be a theme with Hifiman. They need to figure out a way to make a closed-back that does more than just slightly dampen external noise; the main reason I prefer closed-back is the isolation, and this ain't it. It's better than an open-back, but only slightly, and if I'm going to make these a daily driver they will need more isolation capability than this.

That said, these are the best closed-backs I've heard in a while, so I think I will hang onto them, while still on the lookout for a more isolating one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back