Introducing the CORINA Electrostatic Reference Headphone
Nov 12, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #271 of 320
Heard the Corina today on the LTA Z10e at Capital Audiofest. It's a competent, well-engineered, and intentional headphone (every aspect of its sound was the result of an intentional design decision and contributed to an overall product vision), but I preferred the Stax SR-X9000. X9K's comfort was better (I think the auto-adjusting headband doesn't have enough range to fit my narrow head) and the sound was significantly more open and engaging than the "deadened" and "enclosed" sound of the Corina. The sense of layering was more pronounced on the X9K while the Corina seemed to present all sounds in a sort of equidistant circle around me, and that circle was also closer in than the circle rendered by the X9K.

Tonally, it's a very midrange-dominated sound. The upper treble energy that conveys the upper harmonics is reduced (which is by design). The result to my ears is that the "air" and decay that I associate with cymbals and higher-pitched instruments/vocals are missing. That contributes to that "enclosed" or spatially constricted sound that I perceived. It presents a richer sound with more low harmonics and midrange, but to me, it's also a duller and less plausible sound. If I spent a lot of time in recording rooms with lots of acoustic damping, I might have a different impression, but drums on the Corina don't sound like any drum I've personally heard in real life.

Now, I know that it was Dan Clark's intention to make an estat that doesn't sound like a classic Stax estat. I think he succeeded. The Corina is not your usual estat and offers something different than a Stax. That is an accomplishment. If someone wants a warmer estat that doesn't have the weirdness of the Stax midrange and has tamed treble, the Corina is a very good option. But for me, I don't think I would ever choose the Corina if the X9K was available. I would not choose the Corina over my Shangri-La Jr. Corina vs CRBN would be an interesting comparison, one which I didn't get the opportunity to do head-to-head at CAF.

Nov 12, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #272 of 320
Heard the Corina today on the LTA Z10e at Capital Audiofest. It's a competent, well-engineered, and intentional headphone (every aspect of its sound was the result of an intentional design decision and contributed to an overall product vision), but I preferred the Stax SR-X9000. X9K's comfort was better (I think the auto-adjusting headband doesn't have enough range to fit my narrow head) and the sound was significantly more open and engaging than the "deadened" and "enclosed" sound of the Corina. The sense of layering was more pronounced on the X9K while the Corina seemed to present all sounds in a sort of equidistant circle around me, and that circle was also closer in than the circle rendered by the X9K.

Tonally, it's a very midrange-dominated sound. The upper treble energy that conveys the upper harmonics is reduced (which is by design). The result to my ears is that the "air" and decay that I associate with cymbals and higher-pitched instruments/vocals are missing. That contributes to that "enclosed" or spatially constricted sound that I perceived. It presents a richer sound with more low harmonics and midrange, but to me, it's also a duller and less plausible sound. If I spent a lot of time in recording rooms with lots of acoustic damping, I might have a different impression, but drums on the Corina don't sound like any drum I've personally heard in real life.

Now, I know that it was Dan Clark's intention to make an estat that doesn't sound like a classic Stax estat. I think he succeeded. The Corina is not your usual estat and offers something different than a Stax. That is an accomplishment. If someone wants a warmer estat that doesn't have the weirdness of the Stax midrange and has tamed treble, the Corina is a very good option. But for me, I don't think I would ever choose the Corina if the X9K was available. I would not choose the Corina over my Shangri-La Jr. Corina vs CRBN would be an interesting comparison, one which I didn't get the opportunity to do head-to-head at CAF.
I had much of the same feelings initially but gave it a couple of weeks and noticed all of the music is there and very much in detail but presented in a more organic way. I agree the X9000 has a big stage and many other headphones can’t touch it but noticed the Corona is not as wide but deep. I don’t think it would replace my X9000 but a good compliment to it as the sound is very different and just as fast with a different presentation. Enjoy both for different reasons but I am curious how it compares to the CRBN which might be closer to the same flavor.

Nov 19, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #274 of 320
Electrostatic Headphone Shootout: Audeze CRBN vs. DCA Corina vs. STAX SR 009S. Which headphone wins?

For my taste in this order.
1. DCA Corina
2. Audeze CRBN
3. Stax SR 009S

Nov 22, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #275 of 320
Heard the Corina again at The Source AV using a Chord DAVE + the fancy scaler as the DAC and the Woo 3ES for the amp. The Corina wasn't as comfortable as I remembered it from CAF, unfortunately. It put more pressure against the head behind the ears.

Compared to hearing it on the LTA Z10e, the impact of the Corina seemed softer on the 3ES. The bass, which I didn't have much of an issue with quantity-wise at CAF, seemed even lower in level and softer. That's probably a volume level issue, as the CAF booth had more ambient noise, so I listened louder, and thus I was at a different loudness contour. Bass gets louder faster when you increase SPL. But today's demo was at a more normal listening level to me, and the bass was simply lackluster. It lacked both quantity and impact.

Midrange is again the most emphasized part of the performance. Vocals and foreground instruments loom large in the sound presentation, and background details are reduced to little chirps of sound. Sound is less open, more controlled. Once again, it's just not my preferred style of sound. But it's not lacking in detail at all. As others have said, it's extremely detailed, but the detail is not presented in an emphasized way. I just prefer more emphasis and splash in the sound. There was a 009 (non-S) available too, and it seemed like the left channel driver was dead. Yet even hearing only the right channel, I preferred the sound presentation of the 009 compared to the Corina. For going with the DCA house sound, I would pick the Expanse over the Corina.

Edit to add: to me, it sounded like something in the chain was smoothing out the sound. One of my test songs is "Love Is A Highway" by Nurko and NERIAH (a vocal-heavy EDM track), and around 0:20, when the lyrics go "separated by something inside", the rendering of the word "something" can vary across headphones and chains. On more incisive or aggressive chains, it sounds like "somethi-i-i-ng", like there's this vocal chord roughness when she's singing the 'i'. But on smoother chains, it's like "somethiiing", a smoother presentation. The Corina sounded like the latter, and I wouldn't expect that. The chain has a DAVE and I've never heard of Chord DACs as being excessively smooth, and the Corina is very detail-oriented, so I'm thinking that something is off about the 3ES that's overly smoothing the sound.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #276 of 320
Heard the Corina again at The Source AV using a Chord DAVE + the fancy scaler as the DAC and the Woo 3ES for the amp. The Corina wasn't as comfortable as I remembered it from CAF, unfortunately. It put more pressure against the head behind the ears.

Compared to hearing it on the LTA Z10e, the impact of the Corina seemed softer on the 3ES. The bass, which I didn't have much of an issue with quantity-wise at CAF, seemed even lower in level and softer. That's probably a volume level issue, as the CAF booth had more ambient noise, so I listened louder, and thus I was at a different loudness contour. Bass gets louder faster when you increase SPL. But today's demo was at a more normal listening level to me, and the bass was simply lackluster. It lacked both quantity and impact.

Midrange is again the most emphasized part of the performance. Vocals and foreground instruments loom large in the sound presentation, and background details are reduced to little chirps of sound. Sound is less open, more controlled. Once again, it's just not my preferred style of sound. But it's not lacking in detail at all. As others have said, it's extremely detailed, but the detail is not presented in an emphasized way. I just prefer more emphasis and splash in the sound. There was a 009 (non-S) available too, and it seemed like the left channel driver was dead. Yet even hearing only the right channel, I preferred the sound presentation of the 009 compared to the Corina. For going with the DCA house sound, I would pick the Expanse over the Corina.

Edit to add: to me, it sounded like something in the chain was smoothing out the sound. One of my test songs is "Love Is A Highway" by Nurko and NERIAH (a vocal-heavy EDM track), and around 0:20, when the lyrics go "separated by something inside", the rendering of the word "something" can vary across headphones and chains. On more incisive or aggressive chains, it sounds like "somethi-i-i-ng", like there's this vocal chord roughness when she's singing the 'i'. But on smoother chains, it's like "somethiiing", a smoother presentation. The Corina sounded like the latter, and I wouldn't expect that. The chain has a DAVE and I've never heard of Chord DACs as being excessively smooth, and the Corina is very detail-oriented, so I'm thinking that something is off about the 3ES that's overly smoothing the sound.
The Blue Hawaii SE will be shipping back to the store next week finishing my review of it now. I highly advice you listen to that with the Chord Hugo TT2 and Corina, I think that would be the more optimal system for my preferences. That chain is off the chain if you know what I mean. Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Nov 23, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #277 of 320

Edit to add: to me, it sounded like something in the chain was smoothing out the sound. One of my test songs is "Love Is A Highway" by Nurko and NERIAH (a vocal-heavy EDM track), and around 0:20, when the lyrics go "separated by something inside", the rendering of the word "something" can vary across headphones and chains. On more incisive or aggressive chains, it sounds like "somethi-i-i-ng", like there's this vocal cord roughness when she's singing the 'i'. But on smoother chains, it's like "somethiiing", a smoother presentation. The Corina sounded like the latter, and I wouldn't expect that. The chain has a DAVE and I've never heard of Chord DACs as being excessively smooth, and the Corina is very detail-oriented, so I'm thinking that something is off about the 3ES that's overly smoothing the sound.
Not to start too much controversy in this thread but the Woo amp was uncovered to be a bit of a “sham” when opened up. It appears the tubes only function as a pre-amp and the actual amp itself runs off essentially a low power chip. Search “under the hood” thread.

The z10e is less of an issue, but still not an adequate amplifier for the Corina.

Save your opinions for the BHSE or other more powerful amps (carbon, megatron, kggg, aeres, eksonic t2).

If on a budget the kgssHV and KGST would also work 👍🏻

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #279 of 320
Not to start too much controversy in this thread but the Woo amp was uncovered to be a bit of a “sham” when opened up. It appears the tubes only function as a pre-amp and the actual amp itself runs off essentially a low power chip. Search “under the hood” thread.

The z10e is less of an issue, but still not an adequate amplifier for the Corina.

Save your opinions for the BHSE or other more powerful amps (carbon, megatron, kggg, aeres, eksonic t2).

If on a budget the kgssHV and KGST would also work 👍🏻
I'm aware of the 3ES's deficiencies, but that's the only amp they had in the demo section of the store. The BHSE was apparently away for a review. I liked the BHSE when I heard it with the X9K and 007 at CAF. However, I'm not yet convinced that it will dramatically improve the Corina. While amp differences are more apparent with estats, I have not yet encountered a dramatic "night and day" difference from changing amps.

The Blue Hawaii SE will be shipping back to the store next week finishing my review of it now. I highly advice you listen to that with the Chord Hugo TT2 and Corina, I think that would be the more optimal system for my preferences. That chain is off the chain if you know what I mean. Happy Thanksgiving.
Happy Thanksgiving! Alas, I'm only in LA this week while visiting in-laws for the holiday. Hopefully next year I can demo it on a nice chain.

Nov 24, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #280 of 320
I'm aware of the 3ES's deficiencies, but that's the only amp they had in the demo section of the store. The BHSE was apparently away for a review. I liked the BHSE when I heard it with the X9K and 007 at CAF. However, I'm not yet convinced that it will dramatically improve the Corina. While amp differences are more apparent with estats, I have not yet encountered a dramatic "night and day" difference from changing amps.

Happy Thanksgiving! Alas, I'm only in LA this week while visiting in-laws for the holiday. Hopefully next year I can demo it on a nice chain.
A lack of adequate voltage swing can be very apparent & create night/day differential.

For instance the 007 and CRBN off a number of amps I have tried will have blown out bass (think bad car subwoofer) above 80db. The Mjolnir Novem, an amp completely adequate for my x9000, had this effect.

The 3es, if the other threads are correct, is no better than a d10 despite the façade

Nov 24, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #281 of 320
Alright, when I'm back home, I'll try to arrange a demo opportunity with HeadAmp (which is relatively close by). Maybe I can even hear the Corina with the Grand Cayman and do a direct comparison vs the SR-X9000 on it or the BHSE.

Nov 25, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #283 of 320
My BHSE drives the CRBN and 007 easily. Also worked well with the Voce.
It’s so funny to me, being a veteran of the site since 2003, when people think of the BHSE as a run of the mill amp.

There used to be a 2+ YEAR wait for one. The price point is not very indicative of performance because of the amount of R&D the DIY community (aka Kevin Gilmore) did for free.

A lot of these new comer amps pale in comparison and some are even dangerously put together. I won’t out anyone here but this would be a good place to start:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/under-the-hood-electrostatic-amp-photos.967229/

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #284 of 320
Certainly not run of the mill. I demoed several amps before deciding on the HeadAmp BHSE. Also it was recommended by several manufactures of electrostats. I have been very happy with my purchase for sure.

Nov 26, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #285 of 320
It’s so funny to me, being a veteran of the site since 2003, when people think of the BHSE as a run of the mill amp.

There used to be a 2+ YEAR wait for one. The price point is not very indicative of performance because of the amount of R&D the DIY community (aka Kevin Gilmore) did for free.

A lot of these new comer amps pale in comparison and some are even dangerously put together. I won’t out anyone here but this would be a good place to start:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/under-the-hood-electrostatic-amp-photos.967229/
It's still in like the top 3 of estat amps to this day.
T2 and Grand Cayman Holding the other spots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back