Introducing the CORINA Electrostatic Reference Headphone
Nov 2, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #256 of 326
It's unfortunate if that's the case, the reviews have been pretty amazing...

"The CORINA bucks this trend by not only being the best overall sounding e-stat I've had my ears on, but arguably also the best overall set of headphones period." Tech Power Up

"This is a very smooth tone and a surprisingly weighty sound signature for an electrostatic headphone. It could well be the perfect complement to any electrostatic collection already top-heavy with treble performers." Headfonics

"DCA’s new flagship is a must-listen; many, including me, will want to use it as their end-game system. The CORINA is my studio’s most detailed and musical transducer and is destined for greatness." Headphone.guru

"Vocals, oh those vocals! ...could be the only headphone for hi-fi listening an enthusiast might ever need." Marcello Rostagni

Anyhow, glad you appreciate it!
Would love it if a tour could be started. Military overseas here for the next 2.5 years and I only fly back and forth to the US on day trips so it’s hard to get to CanJams to demo.

Nov 2, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #257 of 326
It really is unfortunate that this thread isn't booming.
I've enjoyed it a lot thus far. Makes for the perfect complementary pairing with my other estats.

When will replacement ear pads and headbands be made available? (and for how much)
Oh, gosh. Oversight, we'll put the pads up on the site next week, that said you shouldn't need them for a while!

I love the fact that several reviewers and posters have noted this is a complement to other 'stats. I think that's really true, and it was also my goal in voicing to create something that delivered the resolution you expect from stats without the characteristic rising output in the highs. It's a pretty different experience. A lot of work went into making that happen...

If I ever need new pads, I'd probably just ship them to DCA to swap them for me.

No interest in swapping glued pads myself.

I'd like to know wether DCA sells the connectors for third party cabling.
Would be interesting to see what Trevor could procure
They are not glued, it's a simple adhesive and the pads pull off easily enough. Replacement just takes 2-3 minutes.

Third parties shouldn't try to make 'stat cables, they have to operate safely at over a thousand volts, and have super low capacitance. It'd be a pretty poor idea for people not versed in this art to try and make cabling...

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 3, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #258 of 326
They are not glued, it's a simple adhesive and the pads pull off easily enough. Replacement just takes 2-3 minutes
My Bad, thx for the correction

Nov 3, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #260 of 326
Nov 3, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #261 of 326
They are not glued, it's a simple adhesive and the pads pull off easily enough. Replacement just takes 2-3 minutes.
This was my experience when changing my Aeon 2 pads. Really easy and trouble free.

Nov 3, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #262 of 326
@mrspeakers What is the best bias voltige for Corina ?
Stax Pro is fine, 580, but higher works too as the stator gap is a bit larger than standard due to the large diaphragm size...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 3, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #263 of 326
Would there be a sound advantage to using a slightly higher bias?

Nov 3, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #264 of 326
As I understand, a higher bias voltage directly corresponds to an increased electric potential between the stators, which is the driving force for the diaphragm here. So it can be considered as analogous to an increased magnetic flux for dynamic and planar magnetic drivers. It's part of a larger puzzle of course, but can be a factor in improving how much and how fast the diaphragm moves back and forth (thus aiding bass extension and associated characteristics).

Nov 3, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #265 of 326
As I understand, a higher bias voltage directly corresponds to an increased electric potential between the stators, which is the driving force for the diaphragm here. So it can be considered as analogous to an increased magnetic flux for dynamic and planar magnetic drivers. It's part of a larger puzzle of course, but can be a factor in improving how much and how fast the diaphragm moves back and forth (thus aiding bass extension and associated characteristics).
Thanks for the answer. Since I have an iFi phantom with the SD bias cards at different voltages I will experiment. Ther are cards going from 500 to 640.

Nov 3, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #266 of 326
Stax Pro is fine, 580, but higher works too as the stator gap is a bit larger than standard due to the large diaphragm size...
How far above 580 can you go without doing any damage or distorting the sound?

Nov 6, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #268 of 326
No, just higher peak SPL, assuming you don't start to get arcing at higher volumes (this is not good and can damage the driver, you hear it when it happens).
How far above 580 can you go without doing any damage or distorting the sound?
Not possible to answer this without testing.
Just to echo one question, how far we can go with higher voltage ?
One more question regarding time to set for Corina, do they need some play time to get full potential?
We generally recommend a good amp vs an energizer, which use output transformers instead of active electronics to drive the headphone.

Peak volume is a function of bias voltage and voltage swing across the stators. More bias voltage = more SPL for the same swing on the stators, BUT at a certain point this can lead to arcing, which can damage the drivers.

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #270 of 326
Seems odd to recommend higher bias in a previous post and then be unable to give a definitive answer to how high a bias is safe.

Maybe a better question would be… does going above 580 void the warranty?
600-620V I was told, should not be exceeded, but I know ppl (Amp builders for STAX - will not mention names though) who used up to 1000V Bias voltage.
And YES, the warranty would be voided as those headphones would be used outside their specs!! So if arcing happens and the stators and/or the diaphragm gets burn holes it would be clearly visible ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back