Introducing the CORINA Electrostatic Reference Headphone
Nov 26, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #286 of 320
It's still in like the top 3 of estat amps to this day.
T2 and Grand Cayman Holding the other spots.
It’s gotten a little bit murkier based but I could see that argument. Based on what I’ve owned and heard

1. T2
2. Megatron / Frank Cooters DIY DHT
3. Bhse / Carbon / kggg
4. KgssHV / KGST / Areas
5. Kgss / KGVT / modified Stax

A working circlotron amp would likely tie the T2.

/edit
It has not been confirmed what the GC is - maybe a “headamp” take on the megatron with dht tubes?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #288 of 320
It’s gotten a little bit murkier based but I could see that argument. Based on what I’ve owned and heard

1. T2
3. Bhse / Carbon / kggg
4. KgssHV / KGST / Areas

It has not been confirmed but I believe the grand cayman is a “headamp” take on the megatron XL (300b instead of EL34) which would be in the tier 1 group also.

I think mostly accurate. Just mentioning that I'd bump the Aeras up to group 3 for, as it definitely is on the same level of the BHSE, if not a bit ahead (for me). Had the two side by side for a few months (as well as with the T2), and the Aeras actually delivers almost 80-85% or so of the T2's performance. Ultimately I think preference would determine which is ahead of the other, but certainly in the same category.

I would also confirm that the Grand Cayman is also in the T2's class at least imho, with the T2, (from what I heard two days in a row), again having a bit more improved timbre and bass response. But the very second I heard the Cayman, I immediately knew it was in the same class of performance and refinement. Both noticeably ahead of the Aeras and BHSE (as they should be given their price).

Nov 26, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #289 of 320
I think mostly accurate. Just mentioning that I'd bump the Aeras up to group 3 for, as it definitely is on the same level of the BHSE, if not a bit ahead (for me). Had the two side by side for a few months (as well as with the T2), and the Aeras actually delivers almost 80-85% or so of the T2's performance. Ultimately I think preference would determine which is ahead of the other, but certainly in the same category.

I would also confirm that the Grand Cayman is also in the T2's class at least imho, with the T2, (from what I heard two days in a row), again having a bit more improved timbre and bass response. But the very second I heard the Cayman, I immediately knew it was in the same class of performance and refinement. Both noticeably ahead of the Aeras and BHSE (as they should be given their price).
I believe the Aeras is a variant of the KGST, which is essentially a lower powered bhse.
The T2 reference I believe is valid because the bhse (and KGST) is based off the T2

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #290 of 320
I believe the Aeras is a variant of the KGST, which is essentially a lower powered bhse.
The T2 reference I believe is valid because the bhse (and KGST) is based off the T2

Not really talking topology (although it's incredibly important, not descrediting that at all), but how they both sound in reality. The BHSE doesn't sound anything like the T2, whereas the Aeras sounds remarkably like it and checks some of the same boxes the T2 does, while the BHSE doesn't.

From a performance perspective, the Aeras has better timbre and bass impact/subbass than the BHSE, similarly as the T2 does, but to a slightly lesser degree in difference. In comparison though, the BHSE *does* have a slightly more open sound, which the T2 also takes further in that regard. But the T2 and Aeras sound similar (T2 is a bit less warm and more transparent), where in fact the BHSE sounds completely different. Also understand the variants of the T2s out there, but much of what's available has a similar difference in performance/sound with the BHSE from what I've observed.

Either way, I'd take the Aeras over the BHSE given everything I've heard, for most stats.. although again, they certainly perform on a similar level. Most stats simply benefit from the improved timbre and bass, while still maintaining generally the same level of resolution.

Nov 26, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #291 of 320
Not really talking topology (although it's incredibly important, not descrediting that at all), but how they both sound in reality. The BHSE doesn't sound anything like the T2, whereas the Aeras sounds remarkably like it and checks some of the same boxes the T2 does, while the BHSE doesn't.

From a performance perspective, the Aeras has better timbre and bass impact/subbass than the BHSE, similarly as the T2 does, but to a slightly lesser degree in difference. In comparison though, the BHSE *does* have a slightly more open sound, which the T2 also takes further in that regard. But the T2 and Aeras sound similar (T2 is a bit less warm and more transparent), where in fact the BHSE sounds completely different. Also understand the variants of the T2s out there, but much of what's available has a similar difference in performance/sound with the BHSE from what I've observed.

Either way, I'd take the Aeras over the BHSE given everything I've heard, for most stats.. although again, they certainly perform on a similar level. Most stats simply benefit from the improved timbre and bass, while still maintaining generally the same level of resolution.

I wish we had a little bit more transparency from eksonic on what the Aeras is

From the outside/specs listed it appears to just be a KGST but perhaps the solid state component is different and topology follows closely to the T2

Nov 26, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #292 of 320

1. T2
3. Bhse / Carbon / kggg
4. KgssHV / KGST / Areas

It has not been confirmed but I believe the grand cayman is a “headamp” take on the megatron XL (300b instead of EL34) which would be in the tier 1 group also.
@justin w. would be the best person to address this but I don't think the Grand Cayman is a headamp take on the Megatron XL, at least not directly, as it was in development much before @kevin gilmore did the Megatron XL schematics.

The Grand Cayman also uses EML 20B tubes not 300b's. I would assume there are similarities between the two however with both being DHT based amps.

Just an interesting bit of history about the BHSE (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/woo-wes-or-bhse.472265/page-3#post-6404426)

"If you want the amp to not be factor in the sound and just let what you feed it right through then the BHSE is for you. The response is ruler flat and the amp has enough power to bring out the treble and bass of the SR-007 in force. It also works well with other Stax headphones, the SR-Sigma is simply transformed with it. The Stax SRM-T2 is very similar both in basic circuit design (even though the BH was designed without Dr. Gilmore ever seeing a T2 or the schematic for that matter, he didn't get a chance until August last year when I sent him mine) and sound. The T2 is a just a tad softer and the midrange a bit too prominent for my tastes."

So although the BHSE was and is very similar, it wasn't directly based on the T2.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #293 of 320
Yeah, I talked to Justin at CAF and he confirmed that the power tubes on the Grand Cayman are 20B, not 300B.

Nov 26, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #294 of 320
@justin w. would be the best person to address this but I don't think the Grand Cayman is a headamp take on the Megatron XL, at least not directly, as it was in development much before @kevin gilmore did the Megatron XL schematics.

The Grand Cayman also uses EML 20B tubes not 300b's. I would assume there are similarities between the two however with both being DHT based amps.

Just an interesting bit of history about the BHSE (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/woo-wes-or-bhse.472265/page-3#post-6404426)

"If you want the amp to not be factor in the sound and just let what you feed it right through then the BHSE is for you. The response is ruler flat and the amp has enough power to bring out the treble and bass of the SR-007 in force. It also works well with other Stax headphones, the SR-Sigma is simply transformed with it. The Stax SRM-T2 is very similar both in basic circuit design (even though the BH was designed without Dr. Gilmore ever seeing a T2 or the schematic for that matter, he didn't get a chance until August last year when I sent him mine) and sound. The T2 is a just a tad softer and the midrange a bit too prominent for my tastes."

So although the BHSE was and is very similar, it wasn't directly based on the T2.
Part of why I bring up the idea of GC vs MT XL is to awake the giant :) we need answers!

That said … there have been lots of talk about building MT variants. I know two builders are making new versions with the CCS tubes replaced by transistors and dht as output tubes

Good find on BHSE - that I didn’t realize. This actually means the DIY T2 we know today, is more of a product of the BHSE than the BHSE of the srm-t2 …weird…

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #295 of 320
Good find on BHSE - that I didn’t realize. This actually means the DIY T2 we know today, is more of a product of the BHSE than the BHSE of the srm-t2 …weird…
How’d you get to that conclusion? The quote only supports the second part of what you said (that the SRM-T2 did not beget the BH). It makes no mention of the first part (that the BH somewhat begot the DIY T2).

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #296 of 320
How’d you get to that conclusion? The quote only supports the second part of what you said (that the SRM-T2 did not beget the BH). It makes no mention of the first part (that the BH somewhat begot the DIY T2).
I don’t mean that the bhse directly influenced the diy t2 - rather, joking that since Kevin had already created the bhse long before - so if anything the experience of that development could have been more instrumental in fixing the T2 design. Dont read too much into what I mean by this.

One perhaps nominal but obvious point would be the look of the DIY is external tubes / external heat sinks similar to the design of the bhse and unlike the OG srm-t2

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #297 of 320
Referring to the nominal point, the similarities could come from other purposes. SRM-T2 was known for overheating so putting the heatsink external to the chassis enclosure seems like a logical design choice.

External tubes mean a smaller case.

They don’t really support an assumption of lineage either way as one is an heat management/aesthetic choice and the other materiel/logistical/aesthetic choice.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #298 of 320
Gave the Corina a third try at HeadAmp on the BHSE. DAC was the Chord Hugo TT2. I made sure to listen to the Corina first so that other headphones wouldn't color my impressions, as my mind goes into "comparison mode" after the first headphone. Thus I tried to give the Corina my best and fairest shot.

The bass is much better than I remember it being on the 3ES. The bass was tight and plentiful in quantity, though still having an odd, damped effect on its impact. Dulled, like covering something with a cloth before hitting it with a hammer. The decay of bass notes and drums didn't have the same level of truncation as what I heard on the Stealth and Aeon 2 Noire, so that's good. It really does need current to bring out its bass. The 3ES made its bass weak and limp - soft in impact and low in volume. Considering that Dan Clark uses the BHSE in-house for development, I'm glad I got to hear it "the way it's meant to be played".

The midrange was tonally even. Vocals were quite rich - but not in an exaggerated way - and dominant in the overall soundscape. The Corina is a very mids-focused headphone. I'm generally very tolerant of weird midranges, so I'm not the best judge of whether a midrange is "right" or not. But there is nothing weird or out of place about how the Corina rendered the mids as far as I could tell.

The treble is somewhat recessed, but I wouldn't characterize the headphone as dark. There's still detail, even if it's only "mentioned in passing", like you'll hear a tinkle of a cymbal hit instead of the long "Tshhh" decay. So all of the note detail in the music is still there, you just need to look for it. It's certainly unobtrusive and it doesn't suffer from the problem of transients having certain treble components overemphasized like can happen on the Susvara or the SR-L700mk2. But it can also come across as dull as there's less sparkle with cymbals and less pronounced decay of strings.

The imaging was very even as well (you can see a pattern here). Elements of sound were distributed evenly at roughly the same distance in an arc around me. Think of a heavily curved ultrawide monitor; that's sort of the effect I got for how the Corina rendered sound spatially. There was good distance - it's wasn't a crowded or closed-in presentation - but it also didn't give that sense of open space. It's like all of the sounds were confined in this bubble, like a helmet I was wearing around my head.

All in all, the Corina is a very good headphone. On the right amplification, it has solid bass, a well-tuned midrange, good treble detail without glare or harshness, and an even spatial presentation. It somewhat mitigates the "Dan Clark timbre" with truncated trailing ends of notes, but can still be dull in bass impact and dull in terms of treble sparkle and air. Comfort was decent, though that is particular to head size and shape.

The real problem I had with the Corina is that it doesn't exist in a vacuum. It exists in a market with other electrostatics. And I had the SR-X9000 to compare with it on the same chain. And there is no situation where I would choose to listen to the Corina when the X9000 is available. The X9000 was far more engaging than the Corina, in addition to be lighter and more comfortable. The most noticeable difference was that the X9000 was much more spacious, with elements being layered, rather than just being spaced along an arc. That sense of confinement of sound was basically not there on the X9K and the result of that layering and spaciousness is that the sound was quite relaxed for me despite there being much more treble. I'm in the group whose brains interpret elevated treble as spaciousness and air, and for me, a spacious presentation is a big part of what makes a headphone sound relaxed. I don't find the Corina relaxed, it sounds dull and constricted, and that spatial constriction makes me feel like the sounds are encroaching on my "headspace", at least in comparison to the X9000's spaciousness. Again, it's not like the Corina has tiny soundstage, it's in relation to the X9000 that it falls behind.

Another consequence of the X9000's more sparkly tuning is that the sound is more "open", which for me is a composite metric that combines spatial distance of a sound with how the sound and its decay is rendered. I've previously used the analogy of a squirt bottle (focused) vs and aerosol spray (open): the squirt bottle produces a tight stream of water that hits its target while the aerosol produces a mist that dissipates into the air. The X9000 (and the Shangri-La Jr I have at home) are more like the aerosol where notes sound like they dissipate into the background rather than coming at me and ending. That probably has to do with the damped decay and reverb of notes on the Corina and other DCA headphones. I think openness is good, and it's a trait that I value a lot in my preference evaluations.

The other difference that I noted was that Corina vocals can sometimes have this "close-miked" quality, like you're the microphone in a sound-dampened recording room. That's probably an accurate reproduction of what's in the track and mix, but I prefer how the X9000 renders those same vocals with a "sweeter" sound, with a bit of extra reverb and some tasteful accents to parts of the sound.

I like analogies, so I'll close with one. To me, the Corina is well-executed, but very "uptight". Think of a person who does well at work or school or whatever, but is obsessed with following all of the rules and doing everything right. Always wears a perfectly wrinkle-free shirt that's nicely tucked into their formal pants, is always in a hurry so that they're always a minute early to everything, and always insists on protocol being followed. All business, all the time. That's the Corina. The X9000 is the person who's just as competent, but has personality and funny habits or interests. Relaxed and easy-going, makes a social gaffe every so often, but gets things done when they need to be done and they have the creativity to improvise and innovate when the situation calls for it. There's a place and need in this world for the first type of person. But I'd much rather have the second type as a co-worker, and possibly a friend. The Corina is built to follow the rules, to reproduce only what the signal tells it to. It's by-the-numbers. The X9000 is more interpretive, and as a result, it can go beyond what's in the track to create a far more compelling rendition of music.

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #299 of 320
A nice award from Headphone.guru... Thanks!

Headphone.Guru_POTY 2023-DAN CLARK AUDIO CORINA.jpg

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 12, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #300 of 320
Just as an FYI for anyone who may be interested:
I am selling my DCA Corina. Not due to the sound, but due to the comfort on my head. This is a me issue.

The original owner smoked near it, so you may need to replace the ear pads and find a solution for the headband.
This is factored into my price. Feel free to make an offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back