Introducing Shanling M3 Ultra - New Generation of Compact Android Portable Player
Dec 20, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #121 of 230
Hello there!

Used to have m6 (Ak version) for 2 years and loved it pretty much but then decided to try some compact design and bought Hiby r3 pro saber but felt that was not enough.

Now have neither of them.

Consider buying the M3 Ultra. But also have the m6 21 in mind (it goes with discount now).

Looking forward to your advices.
If you liked the m6 akm version, I think the m6 ultra would be the current Shanling dap with the most similar tuning. Have not heard the m3 ultra, but from reviews it might be worth considering too as a more economical option

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #123 of 230
Hello there!

Used to have m6 (Ak version) for 2 years and loved it pretty much but then decided to try some compact design and bought Hiby r3 pro saber but felt that was not enough.

Now have neither of them.

Consider buying the M3 Ultra. But also have the m6 21 in mind (it goes with discount now).

Looking forward to your advices.
Well, M3 Ultra will give you the small player, new system, but slightly lower sound quality.

M6 21 will be better in sound, but with different ESS tuning than your old M6 AKM.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 22, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #126 of 230
Im getting M3U, but other daps seems tempting like the M11s, R5Gii or Dx170
For me the key differentiator is the size of the M3U (super pocketable)

Dec 24, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #127 of 230
Since there is no system wide EQ from Shanling (why?) is there a decent one from the Android store?
I'm using the Sound Assistant app from Samsung store which got right/left balance and 9-band EQ and I hope there are something similar on the Android store that still support Android 10.

Dec 24, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #128 of 230
I have made some Experiences with the M3 Ultra. Build Quality and SQ are superb, but theres a big "but": The Volume I can't adjust it precise. I'm using my Andromedas with SE Ouput and even on Low Gain it literally blows out my Ears. I have to use it mainly between Volume Step 18 to 24 out of 100 Steps! So theres only a Range of max. 10 Volume depending on the Song where the Andromedas are useable. I mean by the specs 41mw @ 32 Ohm it shouldnt be loud at all 🤷‍♂️. For example the M11 Plus (which I also listened to) got 210mw @ 32 Ohm also on SE and was way more precise to adjust. Both have <1 Ohm Impedance. So I would not call the M3 a IEM friendly DAP at least not for sensitive ones.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #129 of 230
Since there is no system wide EQ from Shanling (why?) is there a decent one from the Android store?
I'm using the Sound Assistant app from Samsung store which got right/left balance and 9-band EQ and I hope there are something similar on the Android store that still support Android 10.

I would suggest Poweramp Equalizer or Wavelet as options to check out.

Jan 13, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #131 of 230
Hi I just purchased a m3 ultra. I have come across an issue where when I download songs on Tidal to offline listening via the tidal app, it only stores on the m3 ultra's internal storage. As you can imagine with mqa files it fills up the internal storage pretty fast. There is no option in tidal settings to change the downloaded directory to microSD like it does on phones. How do I remedy this?

Jan 13, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #132 of 230
Hi I just purchased a m3 ultra. I have come across an issue where when I download songs on Tidal to offline listening via the tidal app, it only stores on the m3 ultra's internal storage. As you can imagine with mqa files it fills up the internal storage pretty fast. There is no option in tidal settings to change the downloaded directory to microSD like it does on phones. How do I remedy this?

It works on my M3U

Attachments

• 20230113_170438.jpg
    20230113_170438.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 0
Jan 19, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #134 of 230
considering the m3u and the Hiby r5 gen 2. I know the android os on the Hiby is dated, but does the class A amp sound better? It has a bit higher output than the m3u too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back