Introducing LUNA by DUNU, the world's first pure beryllium rolled foil diaphragm flagship dynamic in-ear! (Page 18: Loan Tour Announcement)
Jan 21, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #181 of 422
I didn’t fully understand the appeal of DAPs but I’m starting to see it. Carrying around a Note 10+ and a DAC is kinda cumbersome especially when they’re exclusively for audio use. I agree that a DAP with a modern chipset and updateable audio focused flavor of Android would be great. The problem is that would be so expensive for a company to develop and maintain I’m just not sure how anyone outside of the big phone companies could do it and be profitable.

Jan 21, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #182 of 422
I was planning on the N6ii (all modules), but it had some minor issues and I had to send it back for new unit (so won’t have that back until February).

Anyways- what I’ve been using today:
  • iPhone 8 w/ apple DAC
  • iPhone 8 w/ Fender A1E1i DAC (another lightning dongle) - listening with that mainly today, have been using it while commuting the last few weeks too with my headphones in general. It’s a nice switch from the apple one, I think(?). Would be curious to get it tested at audiosciencereview.
But...here’s my drafted current plan:
  • In a couple of days, auditioning the Lotoo PAW 6000.
  • First week of February: hopefully by then I’d get the N6ii back to play with. Can’t wait.
  • Feb. 15-16: Anything you suggest that would be at CanJam NYC 2020, I’m happy to try. Let me know.
  • Sometime mid-February (aka when it’s available): SMSL M500.
  • When I have time to figure it out: my modded Maverick D2 DAC (Sparkos Op-amps + Bendix 6385) + a tube headphone amp. (Unfortunately my Fisher 500-b doesn’t have a headphone jack...that was released with the 500-c model, alas...)
  • Also when I have time/at work: the Dunu DAC.
(Edited for formatting - hopefully that’s better).
Wow .. that’s sounds already really nice , at can jam if you can / want maybe the new Fiio M15 :)
Looking forward for your general first impressions of the Luna :wink: did you already arrived at the moon ? :D

Jan 22, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #184 of 422
I was planning on the N6ii (all modules), but it had some minor issues and I had to send it back for new unit (so won’t have that back until February).

Anyways- what I’ve been using today:
  • iPhone 8 w/ apple DAC
  • iPhone 8 w/ Fender A1E1i DAC (another lightning dongle) - listening with that mainly today, have been using it while commuting the last few weeks too with my headphones in general. It’s a nice switch from the apple one, I think(?). Would be curious to get it tested at audiosciencereview.
But...here’s my drafted current plan:
  • In a couple of days, auditioning the Lotoo PAW 6000.
  • First week of February: hopefully by then I’d get the N6ii back to play with. Can’t wait.
  • Feb. 15-16: Anything you suggest that would be at CanJam NYC 2020, I’m happy to try. Let me know.
  • In a week or two (quicker than I thought): SMSL M500.
  • When I have time to figure it out: my modded Maverick D2 DAC (Sparkos Op-amps + Bendix 6385) + a tube headphone amp. (Unfortunately my Fisher 500-b doesn’t have a headphone jack...that was released with the 500-c model, alas...)
  • Also when I have time/at work: the Dunu DAC.
(Edited for formatting - hopefully that’s better).
I’ve got that fender dongle as well, how you like it so far? Imo it has lower impedance but smoother signature than the oem dongle, I’ve got thr orb cable as well with a 2.5 balanced out, its quite good as well

Jan 22, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #185 of 422
Jan 22, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #187 of 422
I’ve got that fender dongle as well, how you like it so far? Imo it has lower impedance but smoother signature than the oem dongle, I’ve got thr orb cable as well with a 2.5 balanced out, its quite good as well

Regarding the Fender lightning adapter: I was off and on about it at first, but I think I do like it most of the time. It is definitely smoother. I wish it had a tad tad tad more detail. What gain setting are you using?

Also, re: the Fender lighting adapter (I guess for anyone looking at the thing) that app it comes with - note that you must download it. This is because the eq was enabled by default - omg...so bad at first. As soon as you turn off the EQ, it’s actually pretty good. (Dare I say, if it was a little cheaper I’d say it’s a must buy maybe?).

That being said, I’m enjoying that Fender dac a lot with the Luna, actually.

It’s very atmospheric - Wide soundstage.

Is the orb worth getting?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #188 of 422
Regarding the Fender lightning adapter: I was off and on about it at first, but I think I do like it most of the time. It is definitely smoother. I wish it had a tad tad tad more detail. What gain setting are you using?

Also, re: the Fender lighting adapter (I guess for anyone looking at the thing) that app it comes with - note that you must download it. This is because the eq was enabled by default - omg...so bad at first. As soon as you turn off the EQ, it’s actually pretty good. (Dare I say, if it was a little cheaper I’d say it’s a must buy maybe?).

That being said, I’m enjoying that Fender dac a lot with the Luna, actually.

It’s very atmospheric - Wide soundstage.

Is the orb worth getting?

Yeah, I find it the same, detail ain't there, I'm doing low gain, no eq (I downloaded the app right away) and using it mainly with Spotify (Spotify has higher gain than tidal and I don't want to run off my data plan so fast)

Overall is OK, I wish we could get a lighting converter for USB c.

The orb has way more crispiness and gain goes as if it was on high gain with the fender, I like it but I prefer the smoother sound of the fender while on the go.

Jan 23, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #189 of 422
Yeah, I find it the same, detail ain't there, I'm doing low gain, no eq (I downloaded the app right away) and using it mainly with Spotify (Spotify has higher gain than tidal and I don't want to run off my data plan so fast)

Overall is OK, I wish we could get a lighting converter for USB c.

The orb has way more crispiness and gain goes as if it was on high gain with the fender, I like it but I prefer the smoother sound of the fender while on the go.

I just got an apple lightning to USB adapter aka camera adapter (which thus allows for usb-c with...you guessed it, another small adapter). Just don’t use anything that consumes over 200mw of power and it should work I believe.

edit: would love to send these to Audiosciencereview for proper measurements vs. the apple dongle.

I’ll check the Chord out ... (with lightning getting phased out with the upcoming iPhones though, I’m trying to see if I can limit how many lightning based things I have haha. See, if the fender one came out 2 years ago? That would have been a totally different story.)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #193 of 422
Looks promising but I could only giggle at the NASA and moon shot references. Nice to see makers pushing the envelope.:beerchug:

We wanted to pay homage to the 50th anniversary of the lunar landing, and we do feel our application of a compositely constructed driver pushes the limits of the kind of performance we can achieve in a dynamic driver.

It took us a long time and effort to get to this point, and together with the beryllium foil, we felt we had something special on our hands.

We're not the only company to point to the moon this year; this past weekend at NAMM, Universal Audio launched a digital audio software package also called LUNA, similarly evoking space/moon overtones.

Looks like good company to be in!

wow, all Lunas are finished from Dunu factory, next batch production starts from Feb 3 and shipping starts form feb 10. may be dealers can still have some stock...

Yes, we had way more orders than we anticipated just within China --- about 150 or so. Because of the composite nature of LUNA's driver, it has to be handmade, and therefore the rate of production is slow. It is a very different fabrication process from the traditional stamped polymer method. Additionally, we don't have huge stockpiles of beryllium just laying around,

Here's a recent animation we made on how the driver is constructed:

For those curious, a few months ago on Reddit, an acoustic engineer by the name @oratory1990 made an excellent description of the types of diaphragms that can be made:
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/bacd37/duck_duck_goose/ekaxsri

This is the section where he describes the type of construction that we adopt for LUNA:
Focal: composite-diaphragm. The most expensive solution, but the easiest one to understand. You simply take different materials for the dome and for the surround - that way you can get a very stiff dome by using metal or a form of paper („biodyna“ anyone?), and a very compliant surround by using certain types of rubber or silicone. The challenge is to glue these two materials together in a reliable and reproducible way, to avoid asymmetry. It‘s expensive to manufacture (two source materials, additional processes for the glue), but when done right it can deliver excellent results.

Hope this sheds more light on why there is currently a shortage of units available for the LUNA!

We planned on holding a tour of the LUNA weeks ago, but we had to scale back those plans quite a bit because we just couldn't spare any units. All of them went to paying customers.

The day before our factory went on break for Chinese New Year celebrations, we shipped off 125 units or so, giving our shipping courier a bona fide headache!

We even had to wait until the very last day to mail a test unit to Head-Fi HQ, and we couldn't even give them the full retail box because we didn't have time to fabricate the laser engraved plaque!

So right now, our factory is on hiatus until 2/1. CNY break is not really negotiable in China --- for many workers, this break might be the only time they get to see family the entire year.

WeChat Image_20200115105452.jpg WeChat Image_20200115105444.jpg
WeChat Image_20200116165723.jpg WeChat Image_20200116165730.jpg
WeChat Image_20200116165739.jpg WeChat Image_20200116165746.jpg

From what I’ve heard the demand was much higher than anticipated in the Chinese market...then the new year rolled around!

Glad you got yours before the break! :beerchug:

Last edited:
DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Jan 24, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #194 of 422
We wanted to pay homage to the 50th anniversary of the lunar landing, and we do feel our application of a compositely constructed driver pushes the limits of the kind of performance we can achieve in a dynamic driver.

It took us a long time and effort to get to this point, and together with the beryllium foil, we felt we had something special on our hands.

We're not the only company to point to the moon this year; this past weekend at NAMM, Universal Audio launched a digital audio software package also called LUNA, similarly evoking space/moon overtones.

Looks like good company to be in!

Yes, we had way more orders than we anticipated just within China --- about 150 or so. Because of the composite nature of LUNA's driver, it has to be handmade, and therefore the rate of production is slow. It is a very different fabrication process from the traditional stamped polymer method. Additionally, we don't have huge stockpiles of beryllium just laying around,

Here's a recent animation we made on how the driver is constructed:

For those curious, a few months ago on Reddit, an acoustic engineer by the name @oratory1990 made an excellent description of the types of diaphragms that can be made:
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/bacd37/duck_duck_goose/ekaxsri

This is the section where he describes the type of construction that we adopt for LUNA:

Hope this sheds more light on why there is currently a shortage of units available for the LUNA!

We planned on holding a tour of the LUNA weeks ago, but we had to scale back those plans quite a bit because we just couldn't spare any units. All of them went to paying customers.

The day before our factory went on break for Chinese New Year celebrations, we shipped off 125 units or so, giving our shipping courier a bona fide headache!

We even had to wait until the very last day to mail a test unit to Head-Fi HQ, and we couldn't even give them the full retail box because we didn't have time to fabricate the laser engraved plaque!

So right now, our factory is on hiatus until 2/1. CNY break is not really negotiable in China --- for many workers, this break might be the only time they get to see family the entire year.

Glad you got yours before the break! :beerchug:

I bet you used more computing power than your basic calculator to get it done as well. While the link is generally correct it's not as relatable to a driver the diameter of an in ear. Break up modes are beyond the audible range. The advantage here is that you can have something light enough to use pistonically over a the full bandwidth with enough control, large enough to maintain a shorter, more linear excursion. There's so much more that goes into getting a driver right than just the diaphragm but it's an awesome starting point. I think because of the lack of audio band breakup modes and the extremely high resonance frequency, the stiffest lightest diaphragm works better here than in any other types of (larger) drivers where resonances can be notable.

I don't like the idea of driver flex to help it's excursion characteristics. Flex is energy lost or transformed into another undesirable form. I doubt the Luna exhibits much if any.:ksc75smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back