Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
May 28, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #3,437 of 4,765
10cc goes before "A"

Yes I know...I paid attention in school! Btw, I had one of the best teachers over there...
school-of-rock-690x388.jpg

May 31, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #3,438 of 4,765
It can be purchase from dealers and for certain places by emailing them directly, however it is not cheap. It is 2k USD and upwards depending where you live.

This is my major issue with it. At least compared to Ak120 which costed 1.5K it has a lot better sound to offer but than again if anyone wants to spend 2.5 K on a product there are better desktop setup out there.

Product like JH Audio Layla, AK240 and Lotoo PAW Gold are more toys for those who have got it all and just want to have the same desktop experience miles away from their home rig. Now the question is how comparable are those to ones home rig? That really depends on your home right setup.

I dont want to start a price war argument here but considering who the makers of PAW Gold is we can be sure that PAW Gold is designed to place sound first and to my ears they did however lack of internal memory and more comprehensive UI has placed it in an awkward situation against its current competitors the AK240. However as few of the Japanese owners of both the AK240 and Lotoo written if sound Lotoo can hold its ground against AK240, I cannot conform this as I dont own an AK240.

My wish was that Lotoo PAW Gold prices was more inline with AK120 or the AK1200 II, this would mean they would become more accessible to everyone. I rather have everyone experience this sound than just very few. It is out of my control, I wish I had the power to make a difference but I dont.

I do not own a desktop rig or a home stereo. Everything I have, music-wise is geared towards non-stack, portable audio. I have a Questyle QP1R, and Lotoo Paw Gold Diana is coming.

May 31, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #3,439 of 4,765
How is Gapless playback on the Lotoo Paw Gold Diana or regular Lotoo Paw Gold?

Jun 5, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #3,441 of 4,765
My IEMs MATCH my Lotoo PAW Gold...

upload_2017-6-5_15-42-26.png

Jun 5, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #3,442 of 4,765
IMG_3368.JPG
And also my headphones match...

Jun 6, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #3,443 of 4,765
Gotta love all that gold...
Goldmember.jpg

Luckily the LPG also sounds amazing :grin:

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #3,444 of 4,765
Paw Gold opened and tried. Not nearly burned in, but I can tell it sounds excellent, and it will get better. I can tell the treble extension is better than the QP1R right off of the bat and the bass is quite powerful and satisfying. There is no doubt that the battery life is much better, and it is also more accurate with remaining battery life. The QP1R is a little more polite. the QP1R has way better gapless. Additionally it has a much better interface because it displays your folders exactly how you put them on the card, whereas the Paw Gold just jumbles them all together to where you have to put the band's name and the album name in the track title, along with the track name and number or you have no idea what you're listening to. It also takes a little bit too long for all of that information to scroll on the bottom of the display The players' personalities complement each other quite well. I can see myself listening to both substantially depending upon my mood and what I am listening to. The Paw Gold and the Questyle QP1R are both dead silent with my Shure se846s. I have the Diana edition.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #3,445 of 4,765
Paw Gold opened and tried. Not nearly burned in, but I can tell it sounds excellent, and it will get better. I can tell the treble extension is better than the QP1R right off of the bat and the bass is quite powerful and satisfying. There is no doubt that the battery life is much better, and it is also more accurate with remaining battery life. The QP1R is a little more polite. the QP1R has way better gapless. Additionally it has a much better interface because it displays your folders exactly how you put them on the card, whereas the Paw Gold just jumbles them all together to where you have to put the band's name and the album name in the track title, along with the track name and number or you have no idea what you're listening to. It also takes a little bit too long for all of that information to scroll on the bottom of the display The players' personalities complement each other quite well. I can see myself listening to both substantially depending upon my mood and what I am listening to. The Paw Gold and the Questyle QP1R are both dead silent with my Shure se846s. I have the Diana edition.

Glad to read that you like your LPG Diana so far, but: 'the QP1R' has way better gapless'?
Can you please explain what you mean with that? When I listen to an album like DSOTM, gapless seems to work perfectly fine (without a noticeable break inbetween the songs) on my LPG => I don't understand in which way 'perfectly fine' can be improved :thinking:

Jun 7, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #3,446 of 4,765
Glad to read that you like your LPG Diana so far, but: 'the QP1R' has way better gapless'?
Can you please explain what you mean with that? When I listen to an album like DSOTM, gapless seems to work perfectly fine (without a noticeable break inbetween the songs) on my LPG => I don't understand in which way 'perfectly fine' can be improved :thinking:

I use ALAC. There is a small gap.

Jun 7, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #3,447 of 4,765
I use ALAC. There is a small gap.
Aaah I see...I only have DSD, 16/24bit flac and mp3 @320 files on mine => didn't know that about ALAC files.

Jun 7, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #3,448 of 4,765
While I wait for my LPGD, a few thoughts jumped in my head. Is there a consensus regarding preferred file type? My CD collection is begging to be re ripped. I can encode in all formats including DSD 128. I also have some 24 bit flac.

Also, is file transferred via USB preferred over removing the card and using a reader?

Thanks in advance

Jun 7, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #3,449 of 4,765
Okay. Day two of Paw Gold and Questyle QP1R. The LPG Diana has headphone PMEQ setting...noticed later. I duplicated the settings on QP1R EQ1 setting, and these DAPS are REALLY REALLY CLOSE. Trying to explain sound is like explaining blue to the blind; I wish I had younger ears. I will say that I hate the way music displays on the Paw Gold. When you load folder trees by artist, album, song, it jumbles up every freaking 1 song, then 2 song, etc. The artist doesn't even display. You have to start each song title with artist, then album, then order number, then actual song title. Ick. Gapless is given a college try, but falls short of Questyle perfection, especially Pink Floyd The Wall (using ALAC). I still really love the LPG, regardless of its quirks. Anyone viewing the click wheel as some deal-breaking boogie man need to experience how screwy the LPG displaying your well organized folders is. Yikes. The LPG goes a little louder, but the QP1R is right there for less than half price.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #3,450 of 4,765
Okay. Day two of Paw Gold and Questyle QP1R. The LPG Diana has headphone PMEQ setting...noticed later. I duplicated the settings on QP1R EQ1 setting, and these DAPS are REALLY REALLY CLOSE. Trying to explain sound is like explaining blue to the blind; I wish I had younger ears. I will say that I hate the way music displays on the Paw Gold. When you load folder trees by artist, album, song, it jumbles up every freaking 1 song, then 2 song, etc. The artist doesn't even display. You have to start each song title with artist, then album, then order number, then actual song title. Ick. Gapless is given a college try, but falls short of Questyle perfection, especially Pink Floyd The Wall (using ALAC). I still really love the LPG, regardless of its quirks. Anyone viewing the click wheel as some deal-breaking boogie man need to experience how screwy the LPG displaying your well organized folders is. Yikes. The LPG goes a little louder, but the QP1R is right there for less than half price.
I though, that wheel on QP1R will be the biggest pain in the butt of whole my life after Opus 1 touchscreen , but no- it's quite usable. Not the last word in ergonomics, but doing what it should.
And of course the sound is very very good, if not impressive. Opus 1 loses to QP1R in every aspect, especially in terms of bass quality and strength, treble reproduction and overal transparency.

Can LPG justify double the price?- that is the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back