Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Apr 5, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #3,317 of 4,765
Penon Audio 
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #3,322 of 4,765
They still sell it in France (expensive though) http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Baladeur-audiophile/Lotoo-PAW-Gold.html

At this price, the stock can last forever.
biggrin.gif

And it's never discounted in EU (I mean REALLY discounted, because the best they did was 1699€, which is just "normal" price)

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #3,323 of 4,765
At this price, the stock can last forever. :D
And it's never discounted in EU (I mean REALLY discounted, because the best they did was 1699€, which is just "normal" price)
I paid mine 1614 with them, but it is the Titanium version, which I never saw cheaper than that, and is like 2500$ in Japan. I agree it is a bit much I paid my first normal version around 1400$ in China.

Apr 7, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #3,329 of 4,765
Oh boy, dude, are you sure? Have you had a chance to listen to one before?

In my experience, headphones are the main element in a system and contribute a massive percentage of the overall sound. I used to own an Ultrasone Edition 8 and through my "research" on headfi, found that I needed to buy a better dac/amp/player for them because I was just using an ipod classic at the time. I spent probably about USD$1k (probably more) on my portable rig and you know what? No audible difference as far as I could tell. The Ultrasones I had, (I know they're different to yours) were just easy to drive and didn't really benefit that much from gear upgrades upstream. If you're after a certain sound signature, many DAPs for much cheaper will have EQ options to change the sound to your preference. It may not be the purist audiophile way of doing things, but whether the given sound is produced by differences in hardware manufacture or software correction is pretty trivial when it comes down to it. Personally I don't love the LPG's sound signature in it's stock form, but I do like it with the "sweet" setting on. Another DAP may have a sound signature that I like as it's default setting, but not enough power to drive my Abyss. The reason I bought the LPG Diana was high power output (which you don't need for your Signature Pro's). Don't get me wrong, I like my player, but if you compare what sound you'll get out of your headphones plugged into an ipod (or similar cheap DAP) compared to what sound you'll get out of your headphones plugged into an LPG, and consider that you worked your ass off for 6 months of your life to get that difference in sound - is it worth it? I would suspect the answer will be "hell no".

I would either put your money toward an easy-to-drive headphone upgrade for the maximum SQ increase for your dollar, OR put the money towards your move to a place with much better pay. After you have moved you will have more disposable income to buy toys like this and have a bit more of a play when it's more affordable.

Apr 7, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #3,330 of 4,765
Oh boy, dude, are you sure? Have you had a chance to listen to one before?

In my experience, headphones are the main element in a system and contribute a massive percentage of the overall sound. I used to own an Ultrasone Edition 8 and through my "research" on headfi, found that I needed to buy a better dac/amp/player for them because I was just using an ipod classic at the time. I spent probably about USD$1k (probably more) on my portable rig and you know what? No audible difference as far as I could tell. The Ultrasones I had, (I know they're different to yours) were just easy to drive and didn't really benefit that much from gear upgrades upstream. If you're after a certain sound signature, many DAPs for much cheaper will have EQ options to change the sound to your preference. It may not be the purist audiophile way of doing things, but whether the given sound is produced by differences in hardware manufacture or software correction is pretty trivial when it comes down to it. Personally I don't love the LPG's sound signature in it's stock form, but I do like it with the "sweet" setting on. Another DAP may have a sound signature that I like as it's default setting, but not enough power to drive my Abyss. The reason I bought the LPG Diana was high power output (which you don't need for your Signature Pro's). Don't get me wrong, I like my player, but if you compare what sound you'll get out of your headphones plugged into an ipod (or similar cheap DAP) compared to what sound you'll get out of your headphones plugged into an LPG, and consider that you worked your ass off for 6 months of your life to get that difference in sound - is it worth it? I would suspect the answer will be "hell no".

I would either put your money toward an easy-to-drive headphone upgrade for the maximum SQ increase for your dollar, OR put the money towards your move to a place with much better pay. After you have moved you will have more disposable income to buy toys like this and have a bit more of a play when it's more affordable.

You speak wise. But I'm very close to LPG, and it's hard to refuse from buying it after all I've been through. Also there's always a chance to get it aftermarket for 2/3 of its retail price or even less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back