Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Apr 9, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #3,346 of 4,765
As I said, I've not heard your particular headphones so I was only guessing based on similar experiences I've had.  If you feel like getting an LPG will be the answer for you, then go for it.  It's just so much money where you are!  I was only offering another point of view as I often find it's helpful to get a variety of experiences when making a purchase decision.  If you just go to the related thread and read up on what owners are saying, almost always the thread is very positive and reading through threads on head fi will often make you fall in love with a product even if you don't really need it.

Anyway, it looks like you're pretty sure about it so I'll leave you alone :p

I will try to make listening before buying. Maybe something like upcoming Opus 3 will be pretty satisfying, but I doubt it :cool:

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #3,347 of 4,765
Sonic differences seem to depend on all of the gear in the system, along with the quality of the content, the mental state of the listener, and the context of the 'listening'.  For example, I think the Shure KSE1500s are quite amazing, and they do things that no other iem (that I've heard-maybe the Audeze flagship planar iems will be another exception ot the rule) in terms of out of the head naturalness.  The delta between these and second-best is not huge, quantitatively, but is importnat aesthetically.  However, I use iems primarily for walking around, communting, and at coffee shops.  In those situations, the difference is not meaningful enough for me to carry around extra stuff.  

In a perfect world, a piece of audio gear would simply report what it was being fed.  In the real world, you have to assemble a complementary syste; which is a two-step process.  

Step 1: Find that magical point where your wallet and your bliss intersect.

Step 2: Stay there!

Another thing that I think messes with people, is trying to maintain a 'Harem' of gear, either for sheer variety, or for a horses-for-courses kind of approach.  What ends up happening, is that each piece makes you unhappy with every other piece, as there are virtually no situations where "A" is better than "B" at everything, where you can get rid of B and just keep A.

Wish I had a poignant conclusion for this post, almost as much as I wish I ffollowed my own awesome advice.  
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #3,348 of 4,765
My brief comparison of the SPL Phonitor E vs LPG.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/827683/spl-phonitor-x-phonitor-e-impressions-and-discussion-thread/105#post_13414323

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #3,349 of 4,765
http://www.head-fi.org/t/827683/spl-phonitor-x-phonitor-e-impressions-and-discussion-thread/105#post_13414323

Strange choice of 2 products to do a comparison with... 

Nice to see that you don't need to spend up big on a desktop rig to get great sound out of your flagship headphones.

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #3,350 of 4,765

Strange choice of 2 products to do a comparison with... 

Nice to see that you don't need to spend up big on a desktop rig to get great sound out of your flagship headphones.

I think I did comparison of LPG against ECZD, Liquid Crimson, yggy, some Accuphase and Sony CD players before... Somewhere in this thread 
rolleyes.gif

Can you please share how your V281 improves over LPG?

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #3,351 of 4,765

I think I did comparison of LPG against ECZD, Liquid Crimson, yggy, some Accuphase and Sony CD players before... Somewhere in this thread 
rolleyes.gif

Can you please share how your V281 improves over LPG?

The LPG is only suitable for the Abyss at moderate volumes.  After that it starts to distort especially in the bass.  I use the LPG most of the time but since I have a turntable as well, I have no way of listening to it through the LPG because there is no input.  I haven't really compared the two directly because I don't particularly want to clarify any flaws in the LPG - I can listen to it and enjoy it at a sensible listening level and feel like I'm not missing anything.  I think if I start critically listening to the two side by side I may lose the enjoyment I am getting from the LPG if I outline any shortcomings to myself.  Lately I have only been powering up the 281 when I listen to vinyl because the LPG does a good enough job with digital.  Abyss have just announced a revision to their headphones and they're more efficient now so they should go a little bit harder on the LPG than the original Abyss.  Probably won't upgrade to the new model for a few months though to test that theory

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #3,352 of 4,765
Still trying to find someone who has done some critical listening A-B comparing LPG to QP1R. Forget about user interface as the scroll wheel is not a big deal as the QP1R has the advance haptic buttons, both have enough storage, and both have very high SQ. I am sure that price/performance ratio is better for QP1R but is there a real jump in SQ with thE LPG and us the Diana version powerful enough to drive the HEKV2 without another amp? I am looking for the widest, tallest, out of head sound stage, clean authoritative bass impact and best shimmer with longest decay for treble without sibilence and the blackest, quietest background when music playing. Hiss without music doesn't bother me with IEMs.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #3,353 of 4,765

@musicday: I'm not following you. Are you saying you consider LPG so superior to QP1R that is not even worth a comparison?

That's exactly the point I am going to make... LPG is so much better than QP1R in the bass department that I doubt anyone who heard both would put the two in the same sentence... 

And that loose scrolling wheel on QP1R is seriously a joke. I honestly can't think of a worse design of navigating music than the scrolling wheel. That of LPG is not ideal either, but at least it's blazing fast. 

Quoting myself...

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #3,354 of 4,765

I am seriously considering the Paw Gold.  Has a comparison been done against the QP1R?  I love the look of the Paw Gold.  Is the amp as good as the QP1R.  THANKS

From http://www.head-fi.org/t/714374/dap-off-astell-kern-ak240-hifiman-hm-901-sony-zx-1-fiio-x5-x5ii-chord-hugo-mojo-calyx-m-aurender-flow-lotoo-paw-gold-paw-5000-soundaware-m1/1605

Quote:
  I've A/B'ed the QP1R, AK380AMP and Lotoo Paw Gold recently and here's what I've found:

Bass: Lotoo Paw Gold > AK380AMP > QP1R;
Mids: AK380AMP > Lotoo Paw Gold = QP1R;
Highs: Lotoo Paw Gold > QP1R > AK380AMP;
Soundstage: Lotoo Paw Gold = AK380AMP > QP1R.

FYI headphones used were UM Mentor and AKT1P

I also had the chance to compare HM901 minibox and Calyx M side-by-side with LPG. 
Long story short: the two have zero advantage over the Lotoo, while the Lotoo has better bass than Calyx M and better highs than the HM901.

Still haven't had the chance to audition HM901S and the Tera. Will report back when I do. 

Bottom line: both QP1R and LPG got that "desktop" sound, while LPG has noticeably better bass texture and extension.

AK380AMP sounds too "soft" to be "desktop". I would say the overall sound sig is mid-centric and modern-music-friendly. Not enough bass impact and highs sparkle. 

More quoting myself quoting myself
frown.gif

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #3,355 of 4,765
My LPW and 64 Audio U10 IEM inside an Elephant Elite EL008 case with pre-cut foam:

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #3,356 of 4,765
Still trying to find someone who has done some critical listening A-B comparing LPG to QP1R. Forget about user interface as the scroll wheel is not a big deal as the QP1R has the advance haptic buttons, both have enough storage, and both have very high SQ. I am sure that price/performance ratio is better for QP1R but is there a real jump in SQ with thE LPG and us the Diana version powerful enough to drive the HEKV2 without another amp? I am looking for the widest, tallest, out of head sound stage, clean authoritative bass impact and best shimmer with longest decay for treble without sibilence and the blackest, quietest background when music playing. Hiss without music doesn't bother me with IEMs.

I find both DAPs to be superior, but I find myself listening to the QP1R more due to the purity of audio via Questyle merging their Current Mode Amplification into this player.e Amplification"  Headphone Driver Technology

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #3,357 of 4,765
I got some update. LPG is not discontinued, it will most likely will be replaced next year by Lotoo. By what, I dont know. 

With that as I found new love with LPG with an Earbud I have recently bought i noticed my screen is slowly dying. It has developed white vertical line and the low brightness is just too dark, before it was fine. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #3,359 of 4,765
  I got some update. LPG is not discontinued, it will most likely will be replaced next year by Lotoo. By what, I dont know. 

With that as I found new love with LPG with an Earbud I have recently bought i noticed my screen is slowly dying. It has developed white vertical line and the low brightness is just too dark, before it was fine. 

Traditional head fi question: from where did you get that info?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back