Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Sep 26, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #151 of 3,158
I really like how the CL2s are able to draw out subtle details so effortlessly. And the highs are so free from distortion that I am able to experience some recordings in a new way. On the opening track "A Lark" from "Live at the Bimhuis" by Fred Hersch there is a part where he continuously repeats a figure on the highest keys of the piano, resulting in a percussive and sharp sound. If there is a tendency to distortion in your gear, this part will make you dial down the volume a lot as it is just unpleasant. With the CL2s, I can actually appreciate the percusiveness and sharp, needle-like tone of the high keys when they are played with so much force, even catching some new nuances in phrasing that I wasn't so aware of before - and feel the passionate, almost desperate emotion that seems to be behind the music. No need to turn the volume down.

That's how the chime was for me in that EDM track. Normally it would make me wince, or I wouldn't pay attention to it. This time around, It sounded like it was in front of my face, and kinda stopped me in my tracks. That's when I knew I was keeping the CL2.

So basically from what you're saying, it's highly detailed but not harsh in any way which could have been a concern... detail by way of transparency and clarity rather than boosted highs that can be sharp, smooth detailed that's a very good thing :)
Glad I made the jump!

Sep 26, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #152 of 3,158
So basically from what you're saying, it's highly detailed but not harsh in any way which could have been a concern... detail by way of transparency and clarity rather than boosted highs that can be sharp, smooth detailed that's a very good thing :)
Glad I made the jump!
Exactly. And its not a clinical sound. Its musical as hell. You can just relax and listen to it all, and just enjoy it. The detail is always there If you wanna focus in.
I am really looking forward to what you have to say when you get them.
Burn in is a must, just a heads up.

Sep 26, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #153 of 3,158
Exactly. And its not a clinical sound. Its musical as hell. You can just relax and listen to it all, and just enjoy it. The detail is always there If you wanna focus in.
I am really looking forward to what you have to say when you get them.
Burn in is a must, just a heads up.

Great to hear :)

Yeah I got the burn in part, it's a consensus, I am a bit surprised as the LCD i4 (only planar I have owned btw) didn't change much during burn in unlike some IEMs I have own (notably the Vega) but duly noted I'll go through the 20 hours before jumping to any conclusion!

You'll get my impressions next week as I am part of the next batch

Sep 26, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #154 of 3,158
I'm having the CL2s on burn-in right now, from time to time I check and listen for a couple of seconds. Instrument tone is so, so nice! Dexter Gordon on the "'Round Midnight" soundtrack, just beautiful...

And imaging is realistic enough (soundstage, instrument size and everything) that I don't think most open full-size headphones can do better.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #155 of 3,158
I'm having the CL2s on burn-in right now, from time to time I check and listen for a couple of seconds. Instrument tone is so, so nice! Dexter Gordon on the "'Round Midnight" soundtrack, just beautiful...

And imaging is realistic enough (soundstage, instrument size and everything) that I don't think most open full-size headphones can do better.
These are gonna be running for the next 3 days continuously. Maybe more.
I just played kanye west kids see ghost sometimes. And the underlying beat and bass track is coming through so nicely, it was not there in even half as much detail amd quantity yesterday. The overall response and resolution has increased since last night.
And no, I am not just imagining it :)

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #156 of 3,158
My personal reference in the domain of headphones is the Stax SR009 driven by a protoype of MalValves big KT120 amplifier (after some changes it became available as the "Headamp 1"). That setup is heavenly, but it also costs a small fortune. High-end performance equals high-end price, that's the usual rule. But here am with the DX150 and the CL2s, which combined come in at 1.300€ and I find the combination just as enjoyable. I am not saying that they objectively perform the same, that'd be an absurd statement, but I can have the same fun for a fraction of the price. That's honestly mind-blowing to me.

Sep 26, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #157 of 3,158
The isolation is phenomenal. I am at a store, grabbing some food, and not losing an inch of detail. This design blocks out everything.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #158 of 3,158
Went back to the supplied silicone tips this evening after only really using the Comply tips.
Went for a size up compared to when I first tried them last week. Big difference, better isolation and after a couple of albums think I might prefer them over the Comply tips. Soundstage feels a bit wider and there is a bit more snap and detail to the sound.
Been using them a Sony zx300 the last couple of days and they continue to impress me in a way that no earphone has done for a long time.

Splendid work by RHA

Sep 26, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #160 of 3,158
Sep 26, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #162 of 3,158
They'd better start making some room on that top IEM list.
Hella'va job RHA.
I am glad I waited for these. :)
Satisfied customer here.

Sep 26, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #163 of 3,158
30 hours in, the bass has literally come alive. Wouldn't have even dreamed of comparing these with the Vega 15 hours ago, but the sub bass, oh man, just punches when its present on the track.
I hope I am not getting carried away with new gear syndrome. Guys please check this and chime in, and tell me I am not imagining this. . :)

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #165 of 3,158
Lionsong by Bjork ( vulnicura)
Give these a listen with the cl2, and thank me later. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back