Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Sep 26, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #136 of 3,158
Uh-oh!

Attachments

• 6DD7D0F1-702D-4992-B99A-9CDBB1BEABB9.jpeg
    6DD7D0F1-702D-4992-B99A-9CDBB1BEABB9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Sep 26, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #138 of 3,158
Well what do you know, they actually sound better with the tips they came attached with. Bass is thumping, and highs are sparkly and soaring. Mids slightly forward.
Deep insertion is the key, just like amanand88keys said.
Foam messes with the sound signature.
These are fantastic so far.

Comply tips can be tricky to insert into the ear. They can close off the sound tube sometimes, making things sound muffled once they expand.

Sep 26, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #139 of 3,158
Comply tips can be tricky to insert into the ear. They can close off the sound tube sometimes, making things sound muffled once they expand.
I inserted them correctly. These definitely need burn in right out of the box.
If you get them you'll notice the same thing.
The t400 foam just does not go that far into the canal. And these are designed for deep insertion.
The buds they come with were perfect for me.

Sep 26, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #140 of 3,158
I inserted them correctly. These definitely need burn in right out of the box.
If you get them you'll notice the same thing.
The t400 foam just does not go that far into the canal. And these are designed for deep insertion.
The buds they come with were perfect for me.

Okay, thanks for the heads up, I have already ordered them just waiting on delivery.

Approximately how many hrs burn in did you give them?

Sep 26, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #141 of 3,158
Okay, thanks for the heads up, I have already ordered them just waiting on delivery.

Approximately how many hrs burn in did you give them?
You'll notice a change after 30 minutes.
I was listening to them all day, and even right now, they are playing edm high volume. I am in Los Angeles, so I left them playing overnight, will try them out in a few hours and see how they are doing.
I noticed a change in the signature about 12 hours in, to where the planar bass started becoming even more apparent.
RHA said a few posts back that these need a good 20 hours, at the very least. And I would agree with that.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #142 of 3,158
Yep definitely open up more after some burn in, my pair have around 15 hours. No pink noise or anything just normal listening.

Sep 26, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #143 of 3,158
Initial impressions: very detailed, and I really like the fit and isolation. Am totally put off by the cables, though. They’re huge and clunky compared to the IEMs. I suspect I’ll either want to try the wireless cable or use someone else’s remote cable.

I only listened for a few minutes before starting my typical burn-in regime (random play through a list of pure tones, multi tones, pink noise, and sweeps, interspersed with a silent track and a handful of songs with particularly aggressive dynamic range and impact). I’ll listen to them again later today (which should be somewhere between 18-24 hours of burn-in).

Sep 26, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #144 of 3,158
Initial impressions: very detailed, and I really like the fit and isolation. Am totally put off by the cables, though. They’re huge and clunky compared to the IEMs. I suspect I’ll either want to try the wireless cable or use someone else’s remote cable.

I only listened for a few minutes before starting my typical burn-in regime (random play through a list of pure tones, multi tones, pink noise, and sweeps, interspersed with a silent track and a handful of songs with particularly aggressive dynamic range and impact). I’ll listen to them again later today (which should be somewhere between 18-24 hours of burn-in).
Yeah cables are clunky. Agreed.
Using alo 4.4mm litz cables on my end.

Sep 26, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #146 of 3,158
Listening to Bob Dylan Forever young.
This perfectly captures the bass in his throaty drawl, and the vibrations on every pick on his guitar. Both at the same time. Instrument separation is very well defined. And doesn't miss any details.
You can focus in on the lows, mids or treble, and the resolution on all never falters.

Sep 26, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #147 of 3,158
You'll notice a change after 30 minutes.
I was listening to them all day, and even right now, they are playing edm high volume. I am in Los Angeles, so I left them playing overnight, will try them out in a few hours and see how they are doing.
I noticed a change in the signature about 12 hours in, to where the planar bass started becoming even more apparent.
RHA said a few posts back that these need a good 20 hours, at the very least. And I would agree with that.
Straight out of the box I found the CL2s somewhat bland, but after 20-30 minutes I really liked the sound, so I concur with your observations. I am very intested to see how the burn-in is going to further change the performance.

I agree that the cables are thicker than what is usual for IEMs, but I doubt that RHA wanted to waste a lot of material (=money) on cables if they didn't have a reason for it. The planar driver might profit from the bigger diameter.
The cables also don't tangle much, I have had much worse in that regard.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #148 of 3,158
I really like how the CL2s are able to draw out subtle details so effortlessly. And the highs are so free from distortion that I am able to experience some recordings in a new way. On the opening track "A Lark" from "Live at the Bimhuis" by Fred Hersch there is a part where he continuously repeats a figure on the highest keys of the piano, resulting in a percussive and sharp sound. If there is a tendency to distortion in your gear, this part will make you dial down the volume a lot as it is just unpleasant. With the CL2s, I can actually appreciate the percusiveness and sharp, needle-like tone of the high keys when they are played with so much force, even catching some new nuances in phrasing that I wasn't so aware of before - and feel the passionate, almost desperate emotion that seems to be behind the music. No need to turn the volume down.

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #149 of 3,158
I really like how the CL2s are able to draw out subtle details so effortlessly. And the highs are so free from distortion that I am able to experience some recordings in a new way. On the opening track "A Lark" from "Live at the Bimhuis" by Fred Hersch there is a part where he continuously repeats a figure on the highest keys of the piano, resulting in a percussive and sharp sound. If there is a tendency to distortion in your gear, this part will make you dial down the volume a lot as it is just unpleasant. With the CL2s, I can actually appreciate the percusiveness and sharp, needle-like tone of the high keys when they are played with so much force, even catching some new nuances in phrasing that I wasn't so aware of before - and feel the passionate, almost desperate emotion that seems to be behind the music. No need to turn the volume down.
That's how the chime was for me in that EDM track. Normally it would make me wince, or I wouldn't pay attention to it. This time around, It sounded like it was in front of my face, and kinda stopped me in my tracks. That's when I knew I was keeping the CL2.

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #150 of 3,158
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back