Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Sep 27, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #166 of 3,158
Great to hear :)

Yeah I got the burn in part, it's a consensus, I am a bit surprised as the LCD i4 (only planar I have owned btw) didn't change much during burn in unlike some IEMs I have own (notably the Vega) but duly noted I'll go through the 20 hours before jumping to any conclusion!

You'll get my impressions next week as I am part of the next batch

Audeze does their own burn in before the product leaves their facility. I don't remember how long they burn them, but both of my Audeze products came with a signed card from the employee that inspected and conducted the burn in. So I assume the LCD i4 wouldn't have changed much, if at all.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #168 of 3,158
Audeze does their own burn in before the product leaves their facility. I don't remember how long they burn them, but both of my Audeze products came with a signed card from the employee that inspected and conducted the burn in. So I assume the LCD i4 wouldn't have changed much, if at all.
Nope, they do change pretty much. Both my EL8-Ti and LCD-i4 gained much by burn in. The latter actually needed much time, like circa 50h.

Sep 27, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #169 of 3,158
Nope, they do change pretty much. Both my EL8-Ti and LCD-i4 gained much by burn in. The latter actually needed much time, like circa 50h.

I didn't hear the same thing, more like incremental changes but to each his own, there is also brain burn in :wink:
Anyway, CL2 = 20h burn in duly noted!

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #170 of 3,158

Maybe you have better ears then mine, I wish I had taken better care when I was younger. But I never noticed any difference in my Audeze cans, I do believe dynamic cans benefit from a good workout, and I try to burn in mine for 100 hrs. I will try to pay better attention once the CL2's show up today and before I start my burn in routine.

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #171 of 3,158
I didn't hear the same thing, more like incremental changes but to each his own, there is also brain burn in :wink:
Anyway, CL2 = 20h burn in duly noted!
I definitely think there is a brain burn in, but these change too dramatically, and way too fast for it being the major culprit.

Sep 27, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #172 of 3,158
I definitely think there is a brain burn in, but these change too dramatically, and way too fast for it being the major culprit.

I'll let you know what I think, there sure can be physical burn in I am not questioning this :)

Sep 27, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #173 of 3,158
I am lucky enough to own a pair of CL1s and CL2s, as well as the DACAMPL1.

I love them both. The CL1s are very exciting and fun yet idiosyncratic and have a far from flat response (which compensates for my high-frequency hearing loss quite nicely). I've only had the CL2s for a couple of days, but here are some initial thoughts (source material, uncompressed TIDAL and FLACs via Audirvana, generally 96 KHz, 24 bit).
  • CL2 over Bluetooth with iPhone (AAC). Very enjoyable. Neutral, comfortable to wear and listen to. Some transparency lacking, which I expect with AAC.
  • CL2 over Bluetooth with Mac (AptX). The soundstage opens up, the bass is firmer. Generally more transparent.
  • CL2 via DACAMPL1 (unbalanced, 3.5mm jack). Big improvement. One of the best headphone experiences I have had. I am beginning to think that I prefer them over my Grado RS1s.
Summary - the CL2s are very comfortable to wear with the right tips (I use the comply ones). Cabled with a good amp they connect you with the music in a way that I have seldom experienced - it just feels as though there is little between me and the music - like a veil has been lifted compared to lesser earphones.

The CL2s with Bluetooth are also enjoyable but nowhere near as good as when cabled.

I am looking forward to experiencing the CL2s via the DACAMPL1's balanced output. This will require either an MMCX cable with a mini XLR connector or an adapter between the 2.5 mm balanced cable supplied with the CL2s and mini XLR. It would be wonderful if RHA considered making such a cable or adapter available to owners of the DACAMPL1.

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #174 of 3,158
My CL2 keeps dropping out of my ear~
Out of box the bass is great already, I don't know what people are talking about. Maybe I am a bass light and I do not realize it until now. I am driving it with WA8 and the sound is very balanced. First impression is that it is very comparable to Andromeda. It makes me wonder why I need to keep Andromeda. Further critical listening, I found Andromeda is more resolving and analytical but not by large margin, maybe 10% more than CL2. CL2 is warmer than Andromeda and the highs are a bit sharp/edgy, not as smooth as Andromeda. Longer burn-in time may smooth the high out. With price differences, CL2 C/P is much higher than Andromeda.

Overall, I like CL2 and will not regret my purchase.

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #175 of 3,158
My CL2 keeps dropping out of my ear~
Out of box the bass is great already, I don't know what people are talking about. Maybe I am a bass light and I do not realize it until now. I am driving it with WA8 and the sound is very balanced. First impression is that it is very comparable to Andromeda. It makes me wonder why I need to keep Andromeda. Further critical listening, I found Andromeda is more resolving and analytical but not by large margin, maybe 10% more than CL2. CL2 is warmer than Andromeda and the highs are a bit sharp/edgy, not as smooth as Andromeda. Longer burn-in time may smooth the high out. With price differences, CL2 C/P is much higher than Andromeda.
Overall, I like CL2 and will not regret my purchase.

Strange that it falls out of your ear... sure you got a good fit?
Apparently deep insertion is required...

Thanks for the comparison to andromeda :)
So the highs feel edgy/sharp to you? Hope it smoothens as it would be a big downside for me, so far no report of harshness though so everyone differs...

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #176 of 3,158
I am lucky enough to own a pair of CL1s and CL2s, as well as the DACAMPL1.

I love them both. The CL1s are very exciting and fun yet idiosyncratic and have a far from flat response (which compensates for my high-frequency hearing loss quite nicely). I've only had the CL2s for a couple of days, but here are some initial thoughts (source material, uncompressed TIDAL and FLACs via Audirvana, generally 96 KHz, 24 bit).
  • CL2 over Bluetooth with iPhone (AAC). Very enjoyable. Neutral, comfortable to wear and listen to. Some transparency lacking, which I expect with AAC.
  • CL2 over Bluetooth with Mac (AptX). The soundstage opens up, the bass is firmer. Generally more transparent.
  • CL2 via DACAMPL1 (unbalanced, 3.5mm jack). Big improvement. One of the best headphone experiences I have had. I am beginning to think that I prefer them over my Grado RS1s.
Summary - the CL2s are very comfortable to wear with the right tips (I use the comply ones). Cabled with a good amp they connect you with the music in a way that I have seldom experienced - it just feels as though there is little between me and the music - like a veil has been lifted compared to lesser earphones.

The CL2s with Bluetooth are also enjoyable but nowhere near as good as when cabled.

I am looking forward to experiencing the CL2s via the DACAMPL1's balanced output. This will require either an MMCX cable with a mini XLR connector or an adapter between the 2.5 mm balanced cable supplied with the CL2s and mini XLR. It would be wonderful if RHA considered making such a cable or adapter available to owners of the DACAMPL1.
Can't you use the balanced mini XLR cable which came with your CL1's?

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #177 of 3,158

So the highs feel edgy/sharp to you? Hope it smoothens as it would be a big downside for me, so far no report of harshness though so everyone differs...

At the beginning treble was sharp for me as well.Different tips and deep insertion changed it completely.And I’m very sensitive to treble sharpness:) As the CL2 require correct tips, deep insertion and burn in, I hope the reviewers will really test them long time before publishing their reviews.These really deserve a lot:) I don’t miss PP8 , Oriolus and all other IEMs I had and sold at all and this say a lot. I’m looking forward for someone to test different cables with these.I have the feeling with cables like thor ii these would be jaw dropping.

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #178 of 3,158
At the beginning treble was sharp for me as well.Different tips and deep insertion changed it completely.And I’m very sensitive to treble sharpness:) As the CL2 require correct tips, deep insertion and burn in, I hope the reviewers will really test them long time before publishing their reviews.These really deserve a lot:) I don’t miss PP8 , Oriolus and all other IEMs I had and sold at all and this say a lot. I’m looking forward for someone to test different cables with these.I have the feeling with cables like thor ii these would be jaw dropping.

Ok thanks for confirming, I am sensitive to it as well so it would have been a big no no...
About cable rolling is it fully compatible with standard MMCX?

I have quite a collection of tips, including RHA dual density which are one of my favs, I still have to test out the Tennmak (got a pack today) that get so much praise these days. Will do that with the CL2.

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #179 of 3,158
Ok thanks for confirming, I am sensitive to it as well so it would have been a big no no...
About cable rolling is it fully compatible with standard MMCX?

I have quite a collection of tips, including RHA dual density which are one of my favs, I still have to test out the Tennmak (got a pack today) that get so much praise these days. Will do that with the CL2.

Tried shure cables , campfire litz and ibasso cb12 and they work fine.They are not compatible with westone recessed mmcx but really nothing is :) They have the best sound with rha cables. Tips I use shure small tips.Not easy to fit on the nozzle but when fitted, wow. Bass is precise, fast and so powerful it cam shutter the brain with some tracks.Rha dual density loose a bit of warm and bass to my ears. Anyway, they are still changing with burn in, it really rarely happened so much with any of the IEMs I had before.Must be the planar drivers..

Sep 27, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #180 of 3,158

Usually I use large ear tips, for CL2, the smallest tips are a bit large to me :frowning2:
I won't say it is harsh but there are sharpness here and there when listening. I like treble and I enjoy Beyerdynamic T1 so you can see that I am not sensitive to it. I'll see what will happen after a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back