Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Sep 24, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #121 of 3,158
I just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for their first impressions. I also just ordered these IEM’s, as I already have 4 pair of IEM’s, 14 pairs of headphones some of them bluetooth, and a few that are planar I’m not sure I need them, but you have talked a good sale, and I’m weak.

We are all weak here!

Sep 24, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #122 of 3,158
Sep 24, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #123 of 3,158
They will be here tomorrow. Let's see if the rubber meets the road, and these are up to the high praise they are getting.
Will put up my impressions after I get some listening time in.

Sep 24, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #124 of 3,158
A simple observation from my side: the CL2s belong to a category that can best be described as "seriously good stuff". I have had my fair share of gear that was great in some areas but always had some flaws that I just couldn't disregard, no matter how hard I tried to do so. I think many of us here now this kind of feeling...
With the CL2s and the DX150 I have no issues at all. None. I listen very accurately and don't consider myself an easy critic. Given the competition in the IEM market there certainly are enough other products around that are as good or better than the CL2, but the important point is that they sound so good that I just don't care. It doesn't matter, because as I said, they are "seriously good stuff". When I press play, I'm a happy man.

Sep 25, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #125 of 3,158
Right out of the box, the Cl2 had no bass.
30 mins in Tupac went from sounding anemic, to having a serious kick.
So these definitely need burn in.
The sound is maturing by the hour.
Burn in is real folks.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #126 of 3,158
Burn in is real folks.
Hi, yes, agreed!
I'd advise running CL2 for ~20 hours. Pink noise, white noise, or just a banger on repeat (we quite often use Robyn, The Knife, Childish Gambino), whatever; it does make a mechanical difference.
That and finding the right tips is key.
Excited to know what you think!

Colum

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #127 of 3,158
Just placed my order, look forward to the CL2 :)

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #128 of 3,158
Right out of the box, the Cl2 had no bass.
30 mins in Tupac went from sounding anemic, to having a serious kick.
So these definitely need burn in.
Burn in is real folks.

Hi, yes, agreed!
I'd advise running CL2 for ~20 hours. Pink noise, white noise, or just a banger on repeat (we quite often use Robyn, The Knife, Childish Gambino), whatever; it does make a mechanical difference.
That and finding the right tips is key.
Excited to know what you think!

Colum

Getting a good seal with the right size tips on makes a clear difference especially in the low frequencies. Whenever I feel like the bass isn't really there or that the music lacks energy, I slightly readjust the positioning and that solves the issue. Properly inserted, I find that the CL2s have very good bass.

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #129 of 3,158
Getting a good seal with the right size tips on makes a clear difference especially in the low frequencies. Whenever I feel like the bass isn't really there or that the music lacks energy, I slightly readjust the positioning and that solves the issue. Properly inserted, I find that the CL2s have very good bass.
I am using comply t400 tips.
The driver needs mechanical flexing. I played 3 songs that I know have a good sub bass, and it was absent in all 3. 30 minutes in, it kicked in and the sound gained a nice thickness and weight.
I am gonna leave these running overnight, and then come back to them. :)

Sep 25, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #130 of 3,158
Classical music is incredible on these iems.
I am listening to paganini violin concerto no 1. And these are picking up every micro detail, and the violin is almost crying.
Damn. Worth keeping just for this.
I am gonna stop talking and listen to some music. :)

Sep 25, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #132 of 3,158
To RHA team, any chance at a 4.4 balanced cable for these. With the 4.4 jack becoming more common it would be a great compliment to these! I have one that I use for this, but a RHA design for this would be great!!
I had to buy a 4.4mm litz cable from ALO audio.

Sep 25, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #133 of 3,158
Well what do you know, they actually sound better with the tips they came attached with. Bass is thumping, and highs are sparkly and soaring. Mids slightly forward.
Deep insertion is the key, just like amanand88keys said.
Foam messes with the sound signature.
These are fantastic so far.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #134 of 3,158
I just heard something in this edm track that I dId not think was possible. LSTM, A state of trance, Ibiza 2017.
40 seconds into the song this chime enters the track. This iem manages to play it incredibly well with zero distortion, and perfect clarity. You can hear the reverberations in the chime, the compounding reflections with crystal clear precision. That is right after it managed to slay this drum beat, and the chime continues over the bass line without losing any of its definition.
I have never heard that before on any sound system.
Well done RHA.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back