Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Jun 11, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #2,521 of 3,158
So, after a hiatus from the CL2 love, taking me to the Sony WH1000XM3, then the Sennheiser Momentum TW, and finally to the Sony WI1000X, I'm back in the fold...

I must admit for now that I'm slightly lost - either craving the WI1000X treble in the CL2 or the CL2 midrange in the WI1000X...

The venerable CL2 keeps the music playing at its best overall though :)

Jun 12, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #2,523 of 3,158
So...eh.....is it a crime to run CL2 on BT? lol

Genuine question though: I'm thinking of getting it myself from a brief demo (thanks @szore) and since I'm a student, I like to keep my collection as minimalistic as possible. How's the stock BT cable compare to stock cables (both of them)? I'm aware there might be some loss but just want to know how much.

Jun 13, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #2,524 of 3,158
So...eh.....is it a crime to run CL2 on BT? lol

Genuine question though: I'm thinking of getting it myself from a brief demo (thanks @szore) and since I'm a student, I like to keep my collection as minimalistic as possible. How's the stock BT cable compare to stock cables (both of them)? I'm aware there might be some loss but just want to know how much.

You don’t have LDAC on the RHA BT cable, just APTX and APTX-HD. I find the BT cable to be very good, perhaps 80ish% of the CL2s when wired.
The SQ is quite good, but not as much power, soundstage feels narrower. Still very good. And with the right tips and proper insertion excellent passive isolation.
Hope that helps, let me know if you need any other detail

Jun 13, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #2,525 of 3,158
You don’t have LDAC on the RHA BT cable, just APTX and APTX-HD. I find the BT cable to be very good, perhaps 80ish% of the CL2s when wired.
The SQ is quite good, but not as much power, soundstage feels narrower. Still very good. And with the right tips and proper insertion excellent passive isolation.
I don't believe it has aptX HD, just aptX.

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #2,526 of 3,158

I don't believe it has aptX HD, just aptX.

Yeah it's only AptX. IDK if I can tell a difference between them anyway. Although, I was hoping for like 90% of cable sound.

Have you tried running it with other BT modules like Fiio BTR3 or Radsone ES100 or Shanling M0? I read that CL2 scale with the source, but again, I'd like to keep my inventory small for school :)

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #2,527 of 3,158
Yeah it's only AptX. IDK if I can tell a difference between them anyway. Although, I was hoping for like 90% of cable sound.

Have you tried running it with other BT modules like Fiio BTR3 or Radsone ES100 or Shanling M0? I read that CL2 scale with the source, but again, I'd like to keep my inventory small for school :)

You won't get 90% of the cable sound. I used to quite like the bluetooth option but it's probably around 50% at best of the wired sound. You lose quite a bit of detail in the mids and highs, the bass is present but not as refined when using wired.

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #2,528 of 3,158

If it had aptX HD, it would sound better than just aptX and I would probably use it more, TBHWY.

Jun 13, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #2,529 of 3,158
You won't get 90% of the cable sound. I used to quite like the bluetooth option but it's probably around 50% at best of the wired sound. You lose quite a bit of detail in the mids and highs, the bass is present but not as refined when using wired.

Interesting, I would never expect it to be that low. I still have hope for new tech so I guess I'll test it myself when I get it :)
I do hope for my sake that you're wrong though :frowning2:

If it had aptX HD, it would sound better than just aptX and I would probably use it more, TBHWY.

Can you specify how much is the difference between those two? I'm still under the impression that it wouldn't be that different between AAC, AptX, and LDAC. Again, I'd test it myself further when I pull the trigger :)

Jun 13, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #2,530 of 3,158
A certain member was banned from this forum, and I'm posting this message to protest. NOT RIGHT

Jun 13, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #2,531 of 3,158
Can you specify how much is the difference between those two? I'm still under the impression that it wouldn't be that different between AAC, AptX, and LDAC. Again, I'd test it myself further when I pull the trigger :)
AptX HD is clearly better sounding than aptX. More of everything. It's almost as good as LDAC.

Jun 13, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #2,532 of 3,158
AptX HD is clearly better sounding than aptX. More of everything. It's almost as good as LDAC.

Agreed. Admittedly, it took me some time and much testing to figure out for myself. One of the things I noticed in my own, personal usage, is that AptX-HD maintained a more stable connection than LDAC. I do find AptX as listenable as AAC as a codec. It's been working ok for me with the Flares Pro as a jogging IEM. I don't know that AptX really allows the CL2 to shine. I would be particularly interested in an RHA Bluetooth adapter that utilized AptX-HD or LDAC. Would this be an appropriate time too nudge @RHA Team do you think?

I know that with LDAC, Sony tends to require that codec to take priority over all other codecs where available. I do not think Qualcomm requires this from those who implement AptX-HD.

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #2,533 of 3,158

How would you compare between wired vs LDAC?

Agreed. Admittedly, it took me some time and much testing to figure out for myself. One of the things I noticed in my own, personal usage, is that AptX-HD maintained a more stable connection than LDAC. I do find AptX as listenable as AAC as a codec. It's been working ok for me with the Flares Pro as a jogging IEM. I don't know that AptX really allows the CL2 to shine. I would be particularly interested in an RHA Bluetooth adapter that utilized AptX-HD or LDAC. Would this be an appropriate time too nudge @RHA Team do you think?

I know that with LDAC, Sony tends to require that codec to take priority over all other codecs where available. I do not think Qualcomm requires this from those who implement AptX-HD.

On Android BT settings, we can turn off LDAC so the next highest will play (AptX HD or AptX)

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #2,534 of 3,158
How would you compare between wired vs LDAC?

On Android BT settings, we can turn off LDAC so the next highest will play (AptX HD or AptX)
Why aren't you reading Nietzsche?

Jun 22, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #2,535 of 3,158
Finally got my mitts on a CL2 and opening up with some initial out of the box impressions. Speaking of out of the box, the packaging is certainly generous :)

https://headfonics.com/2019/06/rha-cl2-first-contact/

DSCF0644-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back