Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
May 31, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #2,461 of 3,158
Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #2,462 of 3,158
I just picked up the CL2s after running into a post from @Kitechaser on the Sony WM1A/1Z thread and reading all the posts in this thread.

I do most of my listening to the WM1A wired or via BT paired to the BGVP DM6, MoonDrop Kanas Pro or iSine 20s depending on environment and circumstance.
Like most of us in this hobby a thirst for more detail, larger soundstage, etc typically drives my acquisitions.
Reading about @Kitechaser’s experience with the WM1A and the CL2 piqued my interest.

I’ve had the CL2s for less than 10 hours, so I won’t go into sound impressions now. These need and benefit from burn in.
I took them out of the box and paired them to a custom OFC MMCX to 4.4 pentacon cable and plugged it into the WM1A.
I used one of my usual test playlists with an assortment of genres and then did a bit more critical listening.
Wow! That’s all I’m going to say for now.
I’ll share playlists and some listening notes as I get more hours with the CL2s.
These may just be where I stop buying IEMs and I may even start selling a few that get little to no ear time.
Thank you to all of you who have shared your journey with these IEMs.
Feels like RHA knocked it out of the park with this one

Cheers
Welcome to the club!

May 31, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #2,463 of 3,158
I just picked up the CL2s after running into a post from @Kitechaser on the Sony WM1A/1Z thread and reading all the posts in this thread.

I do most of my listening to the WM1A wired or via BT paired to the BGVP DM6, MoonDrop Kanas Pro or iSine 20s depending on environment and circumstance.
Like most of us in this hobby a thirst for more detail, larger soundstage, etc typically drives my acquisitions.
Reading about @Kitechaser’s experience with the WM1A and the CL2 piqued my interest.

I’ve had the CL2s for less than 10 hours, so I won’t go into sound impressions now. These need and benefit from burn in.
I took them out of the box and paired them to a custom OFC MMCX to 4.4 pentacon cable and plugged it into the WM1A.
I used one of my usual test playlists with an assortment of genres and then did a bit more critical listening.
Wow! That’s all I’m going to say for now.
I’ll share playlists and some listening notes as I get more hours with the CL2s.
These may just be where I stop buying IEMs and I may even start selling a few that get little to no ear time.
Thank you to all of you who have shared your journey with these IEMs.
Feels like RHA knocked it out of the park with this one

Cheers
Play around with tips, if you have spiral dots, they work beautifully here.
I went with a size smaller than I usually wear, for a deeper insertion, and it was instant magic.
Welcome aboard, and I agree @RHA Team knocked it out of the zip code.

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #2,464 of 3,158

Dire Straights "Once upon a time in the West" SACD sounds incredible on the CL2.
The Communique album is where it's at.

Water of love. Dire Straits, Dire Straits album.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #2,465 of 3,158

Thank you for persevering through 164 pages of this thread, many pages of which are quite disheartening and enough to put anyone off.

Thank you also for keeping an open mind and resisting the temptation to go with the crowd or where fashion dictates.

Your ears, (and ultimately your wallet) will thank you. Welcome and enjoy...

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #2,466 of 3,158
@szore I just wanted to circle back to see if you had a chance to write up your impressions and take pictures of your new custom IEM ear sleeves.

Also, @RHA Team , have you seen my earlier posts asking if the CL1 and CL2 chassis are the same size, etc? Or if you have any dead CL2 drivers I could take off of your hands?

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #2,467 of 3,158
@szore I just wanted to circle back to see if you had a chance to write up your impressions and take pictures of your new custom IEM ear sleeves.

Also, @RHA Team , have you seen my earlier posts asking if the CL1 and CL2 chassis are the same size, etc? Or if you have any dead CL2 drivers I could take off of your hands?
I was just thinking of you a few days ago but I couldn't remember who asked me... No, not good at all. To be fair they don't advertise them as audiophile quality they just say they won't fall out, and that is true. But they smeared the sound into Oblivion.

Jun 1, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #2,468 of 3,158
I was just thinking of you a few days ago but I couldn't remember who asked me... No, not good at all. To be fair they don't advertise them as audiophile quality they just say they won't fall out, and that is true. But they smeared the sound into Oblivion.

Bummer. Looks like I will be going the re-shell CAD/3D printing route then. Hopefully I can get my hands on some dead CL2 drivers to get the dimensions, etc.

Thanks for the info.

Jun 1, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #2,469 of 3,158
Bummer. Looks like I will be going the re-shell CAD/3D printing route then. Hopefully I can get my hands on some dead CL2 drivers to get the dimensions, etc.

Thanks for the info.
Yeah, they're a non starter

Jun 3, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #2,470 of 3,158
20190602_150422.jpg

Perfect combo. Listening to the "Wagner/ Dressler : The symphonic ring" album
And it feels like I am there, sitting in the first row. 24/192
A must have album for classical aficionados :)

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #2,471 of 3,158
Wanna add. If you are looking for a great album to listen to....
Rodrigo y Gabriela "Mettavolution" has me damn near breaking out in a spontaneous break dance routine in the local whole foods grocery isle :wink:
High res sounds particularly nice.

I have to admit, if this music doesn't make you move, you`re either asleep or deaf!

Jun 3, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #2,472 of 3,158
Wanna add. If you are looking for a great album to listen to....
Rodrigo y Gabriela "Mettavolution" has me damn near breaking out in a spontaneous break dance routine in the local whole foods grocery isle :wink:
High res sounds particularly nice.

I’ll second this. The timbre of the guitar and texture of the bass is something to behold. Net result is that you forget about the hifi and simply enjoy the music.

Jun 3, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #2,473 of 3,158
I’ll second this. The timbre of the guitar and texture of the bass is something to behold. Net result is that you forget about the hifi and simply enjoy the music.
That is one thing I am constantly amazed by, the tonality of every instrument is exactly how I hear it live.
The tuning just brings cymbals, chimes, string and horned instruments to life, and anyone that has ever been to a jazz club, or listened to music that is live and is not being played over a dynamic speaker, will recognize that sound instantly. :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:
It's something else :wink:

By the way, that whole album is extraordinary, just gets me up and moving every single time.
I am starting some salsa and tango classes next week, let's see if the rubber (my feet) meets the road, and I can do the music some justice.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #2,474 of 3,158
That is one thing I am constantly amazed by, the tonality of every instrument is exactly how I hear it live.
The tuning just brings cymbals, chimes, string and horned instruments to life, and anyone that has ever been to a jazz club, or listened to music that is live and is not being played over a dynamic speaker, will recognize that sound instantly.
It's something else :wink:

By the way, that whole album is extraordinary, just gets me up and moving every single time.
I am starting some salsa and tango classes next week, let's see if the rubber (my feet) meets the road, and I can do the music some justice.
On a good symphonic recording, you can zero in on individual instruments in the orchestra and hear their individual 'tone', and character, quite amazing!

Jun 4, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #2,475 of 3,158

Ahoyhoy, apologies for the delay - I was putting the question to the team. The answer: "the nozzle angle and area around there is very similar, but the way the cable enters the housing is different, so be careful not to get too close to the top of the housing."

Understandably they're a bit more reticent on sending a driver out, it's still quite closely guarded.

Hope that's some help!

Colum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back