Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
May 10, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #2,416 of 3,158
That was from @ANOpax

Funny story behind that. One of the reviewers, who by the way reviewed the CL2 out of an ES100, when told by people on this thread that they loved the CL2 and its tuning, said that it was like having anchovies with ice cream. LOL
Anopax was obviously paying attention.
LOL...

May 10, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #2,417 of 3,158
Funny story behind that. One of the reviewers, who by the way reviewed the CL2 out of an ES100, when told by people on this thread that they loved the CL2 and its tuning, said that it was like having anchovies with ice cream. LOL
Anopax was obviously paying attention.

Hah! Thanks for remembering. And yes, it was a none too subtle dig at the vehemence with which someone had declared the CL2s to be trash by comparing them to anchovies with ice cream.

I guess I should get round to expanding on my impressions to make a review but I kinda feel that I’ve already said all that I need to.

Still loving the CL2 but notice that I’m in a minority when it comes to tips - foam is working best for me. I have very shallow ear canals and foam is giving me the best seal (small InAirs which are working much better than the supplied Comply tips)

May 10, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #2,418 of 3,158
For the record, I love anchovies and would gladly eat them with anything, incluing Marmite (love it) and most ice creams.

Hopefully got an audition with these next week. One worry - The Infamous Hump...

I notice it with my T20s. Doesn't bother me for my usual funk/disco/jazz, but 80s pop and some string-heavy classical can be harsh and/or sibilant.

Had hoped I'd reached an age - 55 - that precluded that sensitivity. Shat hippens.. anyone of a similar age and who has the T20s who can offer an opinion?

Edit - should give my portablesources. A&K SR15, LGV30.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #2,420 of 3,158
My wife has the T20i. I’m 47. I don’t hear a treble hump on those, just as I don’t hear a treble hump on the CL2.
Neither do I.

May 10, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #2,421 of 3,158
My wife has the T20i. I’m 47. I don’t hear a treble hump on those, just as I don’t hear a treble hump on the CL2.

Not quite a treble hump but rather a uppermid hump. It then dips down which is why cymbals dont sound aggressively bright. In fact I think I'd like a tad more lower treble out of these to make cymbals pop.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
May 10, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #2,422 of 3,158
Not quite a treble hump but rather a uppermid hump. It then dips down which is why cymbals dont sound aggressively bright. In fact I think I'd like a tad more lower treble out of these to make cymbals pop.
Everyone's ears are different. With a good quality CU cable, it's all good.

Enjoy the music.

:L3000::L3000::L3000:

May 10, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #2,423 of 3,158
What player are you using it with? On my 1000m the cymbals sound perfect with great timbre.

May 10, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #2,424 of 3,158
What player are you using it with? On my 1000m the cymbals sound perfect with great timbre.

onkyo dpx1, planning to change daps soon since that sucker is a bit too wide to lug around

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
May 10, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #2,425 of 3,158

If I could hear today what I could hear when I was 47 I wouldn't have posted. here. Huuuuge difference.

Hope you're not as dismayed /surprised as me down the line. And I've just realised I'm 56 in 4 weeks....

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #2,426 of 3,158
If I could hear today what I could hear when I was 47 I wouldn't have posted. here. Huuuuge difference.

Hope you're not as dismayed /surprised as me down the line. And I've just realised I'm 56 in 4 weeks....
The only metallic timbre I heard on the CL2, was with the included SPC cables.
Copper cable is smooth as a baby's behind.
At least to my ears.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #2,427 of 3,158
Question/request for the group, which I am pretty sure will be a long shot, but if you do not ask, you definitely will not accomplish your goal.

Does anyone have a bad set of CL2s that they want to get rid of? Maybe the drivers are fried, or something similar.

I do not need them to work, I need something that I can tear apart to get dimensions for the driver, etc (without worrying about getting it put back together and working). With those dimensions it will help immensely with trying to build/print custom shells.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: @RHA Team do you have any dead CL2s to possibly contribute for the above?

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #2,428 of 3,158
Question/request for the group, which I am pretty sure will be a long shot, but if you do not ask, you definitely will not accomplish your goal.

Does anyone have a bad set of CL2s that they want to get rid of? Maybe the drivers are fried, or something similar.

I do not need them to work, I need something that I can tear apart to get dimensions for the driver, etc (without worrying about getting it put back together and working). With those dimensions it will help immensely with trying to build/print custom shells.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Perhaps RHA could help with dimensions?
Couldn’t hurt to ask I suppose.

May 10, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #2,429 of 3,158
Just ordered the PW Audio 1960s 2 wire 4.4mm copper cable.
And now I am officially done spending money on iems.
Pictures and and a final long overdue CL2 review will follow :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back