Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Apr 4, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #2,311 of 3,158
Best cable upgrade for these little guys? Currently using the stock ones (3,5mm)

It really depends on what your preferred sound signature is I think. You're liable to get a lot of differing opinions.

I have a couple of balanced SPC cables from Penon Audio currently in transit. A 16 core, & a 8 core. I'm looking forward to hearing how much of a difference they make over the OEMs (hopefully early next week). I like the OEM SPC cable to a degree and am hoping these new ones will open up that sound even more.

They are the:

https://penonaudio.com/accessories/earphone-cable/isn-audio-h16.html

https://penonaudio.com/accessories/earphone-cable/ourart-copper-mixed-silver-plated-mmcx-cable.html

Apr 7, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #2,313 of 3,158
Hello all,

I’ve taken delivery of my CL2 and am loving them despite only having about 25hrs on them. I’ve heard enough to draw some conclusions and also come up with a hypothesis on why they are such a marmite IEM.

First, some background on my biases and prejudices. I apologise if some of this sounds like a rant and if it is ill informed, please go easy on me and correct me gently!

My main area of listening experience is with what most would consider to be a serious full size rig (Wadia CDP/DAC, Modwright Valve preamp, EAR 509 valve mono blocks feeding Quad ESL989 electrostatic speakers). I prize a liquid and organic sound with a natural timbre. I have played in orchestras and attended enough live concerts to know what a real instrument or performance sounds like.

My headphone experience includes 2 years with hifi man RE01 followed by the last 4 years with Earsonics SM64. I’m not a gear-head so I don’t chop and change equipment lightly.

I’ve had to look into a replacement for my SM64s as I was getting an intermittent problem on one channel. I have auditioned the Earsonics ES3 and InEar SD2 and SD5 as potential replacements.

What has surprised me, coming back to the headphone forae, is how far away from the reproducing the intent of the recording a lot of the products have become. The ethos and approach is totally different to the full size side of things. For example, EQ is anathema to me. So is the idea of V or U shaped tuning. Outside the headphone world, it’s called ‘loudness’ and is performed by the press of a button on cheap Japanese boom boxes. I also don’t subscribe to the idea that a product can be good but only suitable for certain genres of music. If it can’t reproduce everything with aplomb then it can’t be good.

I also find the focus on soundstaging and separation to be an understandable but misleading preoccupation with headphones. It’s understandable because the presentation of headphones ‘inside your head’ makes it easier to analyse the soundstage. It’s misleading because nobody goes to a concert and picks out the instruments’ and vocalists’ positions - because you can’t; the room interaction gets in the way. What seems to have happened is that products now have an over emphasised bass, and major in detail and separation but in the process have lost the musical message by concentrating on the hifi. The fact that Chord is so well regarded makes me wince (and yes, I’ve heard the mojo).

The final thing I find utterly perplexing is the assumption that more BA drivers = better. In the full size speaker world, few drivers = better.

Which brings me to the CL2. One driver. That’s it. I recognised the sound signature instantly - just like that of my Quad ESLs. The music is presented as if cut from the same sonic cloth. There is no crossover to get in the way, no difference in timbre between drivers. No interference, no distortion. The bass is also much more natural and true to life.

Most consumers don’t know what real bass sounds like. They have been conditioned to box colourations and this is why ‘popular’ IEMs with ‘fun’ tuning have a boosted bass response. I will never buy another Earsonics product again if the ES3 is now representative of their ‘house’ sound. It’s a travesty.

And I think this is where people are hearing the CL2 as ‘peaky’. The ability of the driver to go very loud very cleanly is prompting people to listen at higher volumes than normal to get their expected bass punch. What that does is it makes the treble too loud to bear and is crossing a pain threshold.

From what I can tell from sonion’s application notes, the FR that RHA has endowed the CL2 delivers a notionally flat response in the ear. I am certainly not hearing the peakiness that some complain of.

What I am loving about the CL2 is that it captures the performance of the artist. Sure, the hifi attributes are there, but they also gel to immerse you in the performance as a whole and transport you into the emotion of the music. In contrast, the SD5 was supremely competent in extracting all the detail of the performance but it felt like the performers were not in the same band and remained separate. There was no musical ‘whole’.

The CL2 succeeds where multi BA IEMs fail due to the crossoverless top to bottom coherence that a single planar driver provides.

When people criticise the ‘unnatural’ timbre of the driver, I find it hard to understand where this is coming from. Instrumental timbre sounds perfect to me. I do understand the comments about ‘light bass’. Planar bass takes some getting used to but again, it’s acoustically correct.

With the ‘theoretically flat’ tuning of the driver, RHA have created a perfect monitor for listening to your music. Unlike many monitors, it is musically satisfying as well. Not everyone likes the perfection of a freshly churned vanilla ice cream made with best Madagascar vanilla pods. Some people like the addition of anchovies and I’m okay with that. They just won’t like the CL2...
You've thought about this a little, eh?

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #2,314 of 3,158
Best cable upgrade for these little guys? Currently using the stock ones (3,5mm)
I am very happy with my Null Audio OCC copper cables and concur with Kitechaser that high quality copper cables are generally a good choice. Silver cables are more expensive and require careful matching, so if you are new to the whole thing it's a good idea to go for copper.

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #2,315 of 3,158
I have been rather silent on this thread for the past months, but my reason is rather simple: the CL2 are awesome and apart from answering to questions every now and then, I really have nothing else to say. Everything they do sounds right to me.

Apr 8, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #2,316 of 3,158
I have been rather silent on this thread for the past months, but my reason is rather simple: the CL2 are awesome and apart from answering to questions every now and then, I really have nothing else to say. Everything they do sounds right to me.
I wouldn't mind if you recc'd some Jazz Albums every once in a while. The CL2 have turned me into a Jazz fiend, I never really listened to the genre before getting them.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #2,317 of 3,158
Plussound exo copper, Hansound Zen, PW #5 copper are all good options.
Copper cables give the best timbre, at least to my ears.
I'm new to the CL2 but it seems she is really responsive to tip and cable rolling.

Apr 8, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #2,318 of 3,158
Can't wait for you to try them with the EA Cleopatra. Seeing how much my CL2 have changed with this new cable, you are in for a real treat. They sound like a new and improved iem.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #2,319 of 3,158
Sexy cable, sounds better than it looks.
20190408_142111.jpg

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #2,320 of 3,158
Can't wait for you to try them with the EA Cleopatra. Seeing how much my CL2 have changed with this new cable, you are in for a real treat. They sound like a new and improved iem.
Listening to Buddy Rich's drum solo in Toot Toot Tootsie off the Compact Jazz album, and the tonality and microdetail is astonishing. I can imagine tiny instruments inside my head playing... The high hat and snare drum are so crisp, and those horns sound great...

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #2,321 of 3,158
Listening to Buddy Rich's drum solo in Toot Toot Tootsie of the Compact Jazz album, and the tonality and microdetail is astonishing. I can imagine tiny instruments inside my head playing... The high hat and snare drum is so crisp, and those horns sound great...
Downloading the SACD version right now. I was up laying in bed at 3 AM last night, listening to Beth Hart "Good Day to Cry" tears rolling down my cheeks. Such an emotional performance, and the CL2 just brings it to life as a complete whole. (I am not a crier in the least) If I close my eyes, I am there with her :)
Beth Hart "Picture in a Frame" is just as good, just gets you going.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #2,322 of 3,158
Downloading the SACD version right now. I was up laying in bed at 3 AM last night, listening to Beth Hart "Good Day to Cry" tears rolling down my cheeks. Such an emotional performance, and the CL2 just brings it to life as a complete whole. (I am not a crier in the least) If I close my eyes, I am there with her :)
Beth Hart "Picture in a Frame" is just as good, just gets you going.
Check me on that Buddy Rich album, does the sound stage seem super wide?... Didn't think the CL2 could present such a wide ss.

Apr 8, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #2,323 of 3,158
Check me on that Buddy Rich album, does the sound stage seem super wide?... Didn't think the CL2 could present such a wide ss.
Oh you have no idea. When I paired the CL2 with the Sony TA-ZH1ES, the soundstage opened up like I could not believe. It sounded wider than all the Full size cans I listened to that day, in the 3k plus range.
I'll check it when it finishes downloading for sure.

Try pairing it with that amp at Audio46 when you go cable hunting. If they have it.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #2,324 of 3,158
I wouldn't mind if you recc'd some Jazz Albums every once in a while. The CL2 have turned me into a Jazz fiend, I never really listened to the genre before getting them.
A friend of mine has recently asked me to do the same, to give her a list of jazz albums that I would recommend listening to (at least once :wink: ). I am going through my collection today and then I'll send my selection to you too.

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #2,325 of 3,158
Just posted my review of the CL2 for any that are interested:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/21889/

My apologies for the lengthy delay. Normally I have always been extremely punctual with my reviews, but I've been going through some pretty horrendous health and personal issues for an extended period now. Pretty much every time consuming task has been put on hold for months as a result. Glad to finally get it published, and apologies again that it's not as comprehensive as I would normally have liked!

Thanks to Colum for the opportunity to participate in the review tour and the best of luck to him and the team with the CL2.
Thanks also to the people on this thread for all the tips and tweaks and enthusiasm :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back