Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Nov 1, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #886 of 3,158
I've been realising over the past couple of days just how much synergy there is with the Sony WM1A and the CL2... Definitely the best I've heard in the portable realm, PRaT off of the scale, and with cable and tip replacement, awesome tonality - right now I really cannot find any chinks in the armour!
Which firmware version on wm1a? Also what cable did you swap with?

Also to another comment about cables not making any change - yes it doesn't alter the sound signature drastically. But helps fine tune the sound to your preference. Add to it to the comfort/ergonomics of after market cables, then it is a good option.

Same goes with burn in of iems or daps. 64audio u4se underwent a shift in its sound after about 200-250 hours. And the conventional understanding is that ba drivers don't need burn in.

Also iBasso advises burn in of their dap. But I didn't hear much difference in the dap or the amp modules except the sound getting a little tighter.

But with Sony wm1z and wm1a, I could hear significant sound signature changes at 200,300 & 400 hours. These players definitely need burn in.

So I have learnt not to accept or dismiss blindly but hear it to make my decision

Nov 1, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #887 of 3,158
I have the CB12. I will try it later this afternoon when I get home and let you know my impression of the pairing.
I tried both the CB12 and PlusSound copper and both sounded fine with my CL2. Tonality was fine out of both my Pono Player and EarStudio balanced outputs. The CB12 is a very nice cable in all respects; no earhooks, very supple and well-crafted terminations. IMO, you can pay more but likely not get better. FWIW, tips and insertion depth make far more difference in SQ than cable swapping.

Nov 2, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #888 of 3,158
Hopefully people aren’t thinking you have to buy after market cables for these to shine. Personally I don’t think cables make a difference at all (science) and these are remarkable earphones with the stock cables.

Ultimately, I think you should follow your ears, and certainly don't want to get into yet another Head-fi cable debate, but I do want to emphasize the above too. I don't think the CL2's are quite for everyone, because of that upper mids bump, but if it doesn't bother you - or you don't mind a little EQ - they are spectcular. Still the most revealing headphones in my arsenal, except for maybe the Hifiman Arya I just started tes
I am, comments in the thread above yours about the treble being grainy and metallic is something I've experienced with RHA IEM's before, I sold my T20 because of this. If a replacement cable fixes and smooths this out then that is something I would have to invest in (I don't own the CL2 at the moment and I've never heard it)

Its been aawhile since I heard the T20, but I don't think the treble is at all like that on the T20's and certainly not grainy or metallic. People have commented on the upper mids/lower treble, mainly, where there is a bit of a bump. This to me affects more some female vocals and can make things shouty with a poor fit or bad tips, but what I consider to be treble - cymbals and such - is actually some of the best I've heard on any headphone or IEM.

Nov 2, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #889 of 3,158
What part of the frequency are people referring to?

Screenshot_20181101-221515_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #890 of 3,158
I am finding female vocals to be particularly good on the CL2.
And the sound has never been shouty, even for a second.
I think people are having problems with their tips if anything to be honest.
I haven't had a bad minute of use since I switched over to spiral dots.
These require deep insertion with wide tips for the best sound.

Nov 2, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #891 of 3,158
I find female vocals, and instruments in that upper mid/lower treble range, to be shrill. I've tried different tips and cables. They alter the sound slightly but the conclusion is still there. But they're still new and I'm still in the process of burning them in, I'll report back if anything improves.

I've also been comparing them to the IE 800 S. Senn has a win in the treble detail and clearness, but the CL2 is certainly more engaging. The CL2 has some of the best imaging I've heard in an IEM, and soundstage is large. It aims for full-on headphones. I'm really enjoying the bass too. It's just right: well-defined and not overdone. If only the upper mid/lower treble wasn't so shrill and unnatural, I'd be in love. Darn it, so close.

Nov 2, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #892 of 3,158
I find female vocals, and instruments in that upper mid/lower treble range, to be shrill. I've tried different tips and cables. They alter the sound slightly but the conclusion is still there. But they're still new and I'm still in the process of burning them in, I'll report back if anything improves.

I've also been comparing them to the IE 800 S. Senn has a win in the treble detail and clearness, but the CL2 is certainly more engaging. The CL2 has some of the best imaging I've heard in an IEM, and soundstage is large. It aims for full-on headphones. I'm really enjoying the bass too. It's just right: well-defined and not overdone. If only the upper mid/lower treble wasn't so shrill and unnatural, I'd be in love. Darn it, so close.
How many hours of use do you have?

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #893 of 3,158
Nov 2, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #894 of 3,158
Something like 80 hours.
You have a ways to go. Try some pink noise and tone sweeps.
It really helped my set. Evened out the sound, even after 350 hours of use.
Either way, interested to see how these change for you.

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #895 of 3,158
I myself can say that when I first got these they sounded quite peaky compared to my AK T8ie mkII, it’s mentioned in this very thread, however lots of playback time, lots of tip rolling and (most importantly to me to sort out the fit / get rid of the earhooks) a cable swap have turned these into very different animals, now it is the AKs that sound peaky.

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #896 of 3,158
I myself can say that when I first got these they sounded quite peaky compared to my AK T8ie mkII, it’s mentioned in this very thread, however lots of playback time, lots of tip rolling and (most importantly to me to sort out the fit / get rid of the earhooks) a cable swap have turned these into very different animals, now it is the AKs that sound peaky.
That's what I find bewildering. I am not hearing that high mid bump that people keep referring to.
Maybe it was there before they got a proper burn in, but I don't really remember it. The only time i thought the mids were off, was when i switched to new copper cables, and even that went away after 10-15 hours of use.

Edit: Estas Tonne "mother of souls" is a downright religious experience on these.
Guitars give me goosebumps on the CL2.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #897 of 3,158
That's what I find bewildering. I am not hearing that high mid bump that people keep referring to.
Maybe it was there before they got a proper burn in, but I don't really remember it. The only time i thought the mids were off, was when i switched to new copper cables, and even that went away after 10-15 hours of use.

Edit: Estas Tonne "mother of souls" is a downright religious experience on these.
Guitars give me goosebumps on the CL2.

There is no permanent peak that would qualify as a tuning mistake (like the IE800 has in the treble), as I wrote RHA has walked a very fine line with the upper mids tuning, and it's tuned for clarity.
It's only on some recordings that you might have issues with it, as several of us experienced. I have something like 300 hours burn in on my unit so I guess it's fully burnt in :p

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #898 of 3,158
I tried both the CB12 and PlusSound copper and both sounded fine with my CL2. Tonality was fine out of both my Pono Player and EarStudio balanced outputs. The CB12 is a very nice cable in all respects; no earhooks, very supple and well-crafted terminations. IMO, you can pay more but likely not get better. FWIW, tips and insertion depth make far more difference in SQ than cable swapping.

Thanks very much for the reply! Just wondering, do you notice any particular differences between the stock cable (plus the extra one they bundle with the CL2) and the CB12? :)

Nov 2, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #899 of 3,158
Listening to Melanie de biasio "no deal" album
where u can hear all the highs
try to listen to this album and see if the cl2 high is picky
i would say the opposite ,high is just sublime.

Nov 2, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #900 of 3,158
Listening to Melanie de biasio "no deal" album
where u can hear all the highs
try to listen to this album and see if the cl2 high is picky
i would say the opposite ,high is just sublime.

On well mastered stuff, CL2 is beautiful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back