Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Nov 1, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #871 of 3,158
I'm interested how exactly they've changed for people with burn in. I've been running mine, in hopes that the piercing treble smooths out. It's gotten better but not quite where I'd like it. Dunno how much more it can change.

I'm starting to wonder if these aren't for my ears. I'm sensitive to treble, but typically it has been for sparkly highs, not lower treble like these. I was wondering if I got a dud unit, but both sides sound the same to me. There's harshness in the lower treble region that doesn't sound right to me.

Anyone else have this experience, or just me?

With burn in the CL2 open up, treble gets smoother and bass gets more prominent.
As others have already advised:

- Change cable. Pure copper or smooth spc/silver make a big difference. A good choice for pure copper would be alo copper cable
- try different tips. My favourite are spiral dots, tennmak gray and shure silicon tips. The shure silicon (small for deep fit) are not easy to put on as they have small bores but they are the warmest of all the tips I tried and make the sound smooth. However I prefer the spiral and tennmak as the sound is more transparent.

Nov 1, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #872 of 3,158
Eric Clapton "Double Trouble" live on the CL2 gives me goosebumps.
I would buy these just to play this track over and over and over again.
Electric guitars just cry on this planar.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #873 of 3,158
Just curious; do any of you people have iBasso cables? The CB12, CB12s or CB13?
I've always admired the quality/value of these cables. However, I've never had any other MMCX IEM's to test them with, so I can't really comment on any way in which they affect sound quality (although reviewer feedback seems good).

If you have them, would you mind trying with the CL2 and comparing with stock cables (and/or other cables you've tried with CL2!).
From the comments here, I was wondering if they might be a good match for the CL2 (and it would save me needing to buy a new cable!) :)

Nov 1, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #874 of 3,158
The other day I had an interesting experience. I was on the train and took out the CL2 to enjoy some music, but quickly noticed that something was off. A quite familiar piece sounded narrow, thick, overly warm and just wrong. A far cry from the clarity I am used to and clearly not how I had remembered this piece! I tried to find a solution and quickly discovered that I had inserted the CL2s too deeply, even more so on the left ear, and this significantly changed the signature. Oddly, this time I didn't physically feel that the insertion was wrong (usually I do), but I could definitely hear it. This problem was not unlike what one can experience with bad loudspeaker placement, as the angle and distance to the ears is crucial there as well. I have loudspeakers that allow me to adjust the midrange horns independently from the the speaker chassis, and I know from experience that each adjustement has its own effect. With the CL2 - and maybe IEMs in general - the changes are even more drastic.

Bottom line: insert your CL2s correctly.

Nov 1, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #875 of 3,158
Just curious; do any of you people have iBasso cables? The CB12, CB12s or CB13?
I've always admired the quality/value of these cables. However, I've never had any other MMCX IEM's to test them with, so I can't really comment on any way in which they affect sound quality (although reviewer feedback seems good).

If you have them, would you mind trying with the CL2 and comparing with stock cables (and/or other cables you've tried with CL2!).
From the comments here, I was wondering if they might be a good match for the CL2 (and it would save me needing to buy a new cable!) :)
I have the CB12. I will try it later this afternoon when I get home and let you know my impression of the pairing.

Nov 1, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #876 of 3,158
I've been realising over the past couple of days just how much synergy there is with the Sony WM1A and the CL2... Definitely the best I've heard in the portable realm, PRaT off of the scale, and with cable and tip replacement, awesome tonality - right now I really cannot find any chinks in the armour!

Nov 1, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #877 of 3,158
Hopefully people aren’t thinking you have to buy after market cables for these to shine. Personally I don’t think cables make a difference at all (science) and these are remarkable earphones with the stock cables.

Nov 1, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #878 of 3,158
Hopefully people aren’t thinking you have to buy after market cables for these to shine. Personally I don’t think cables make a difference at all (science) and these are remarkable earphones with the stock cables.

I am, comments in the thread above yours about the treble being grainy and metallic is something I've experienced with RHA IEM's before, I sold my T20 because of this. If a replacement cable fixes and smooths this out then that is something I would have to invest in (I don't own the CL2 at the moment and I've never heard it)

Nov 1, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #879 of 3,158
CL2 treble is nither grainy nor metallic
Just its not overly thick
:L3000:

Nov 1, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #882 of 3,158
Yeah, more about the soundstage.... How does it compare to something like the Andromeda or other TOTL in ears? One reviewer said it doesn't quite have the same staging capabilities as the oppo pm-3, which made me go :thinking:.

The pm-3 to my ears had a very limited soundstage.

My ibasso it04 and isine20 and Andromedas all dwarfed the staging capabilities of the pm-3. My tfz s5 had clearly better staging....

Staging is probably the single most important thing to me in terms of headphones. I'd say currently the Andromedas slightly outdid the staging of the isine20, but they're very different, how does the cl2 compare, stagewise to existing BA and open planar style sets like the Andromedas or isine 20?

Nov 1, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #883 of 3,158
CL2 tereble is airy detailed extended
Not picky not mettalic
Atleast my ears r happy with them
Yes some people r sensitive to highs but i dont find them overly bright

Nov 1, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #884 of 3,158
CL2 tereble is airy detailed extended
Not picky not mettalic
Atleast my ears r happy with them
Yes some people r sensitive to highs but i dont find them overly bright

Actually I think the upper mids can be mettalic with the stock cable, at least the timbre is off.
I have covered this in my review, I think the upper treble of the CL2 are brilliant and provide a lot of air but they're never harsh as the lower treble is more (too?) conservatively tuned.

Nov 1, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #885 of 3,158
Nothing to do with the composition of the metallic element of the cable to me, but the over zealous rigidness of the earhooks that don't allow for me to get a good fit... Removing the issue improves the sound to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back