Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Oct 3, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #317 of 3,158
@waveSounds So generous of you... not only do I like them but I did have to go through delivery hassle so nobody touches them until the 21st of october french meetup :p (@lafeuill glad to see you there!)

I have quite a bit on my todo list with those :
  • check the copper cable with AMP7, I suspect it will be beneficial and I am not a huge fan of SPC cables.
  • check how it pairs with Mojo, I suspect this is going to be a real treat
  • Go through a whole lot of musical genres, so far CL2 is just amazing with Jazz I suspect it's going to be just as good for classical and then I wouldn't be surprised if it's a great all rounder
One thing I checked is the bluetooth neckband and I must say, it's not half as bad as I thought it would be. Compared to the Flares Pro, it has much more driving power, actually quite impressive. The sound is smoother and bass is not as controlled and clean (there is some boost here in mid bass) and it doesn't extend as much be the CL2 is still there. With BT It's closer to the LCD i4 with the lightning cable which is rather a great result ! This is good news, as it means I can take the CL2 for non critical listening at work or while traveling when I don't want to carry a pricey DAP around. Handy option to have.

Edit : Ordered Hansound Audio Zen 4 wire cable for the CL2, now the wait begins :p

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #318 of 3,158
How's the soundstage relative to the iSines?

Just tried to compare them. As I said the test is difficult to conduct due to the different connections, and some unfair advantages IMO.

Ran both the CL2's and iSines out of a Sony NW-ZX300 on 3.5 mm jack. Clear winner is the CL2's. Bass is better, sub bass is lacking in both, overall, its not muddy or thick, just reduced. The CL2's have better instrument separation, and you can better fix instrument location. Without ever hearing them both pushed they would both be very good, but not really anything to write about. They both suffer from a lack of power, and suffer terribly.

I ran the CL2's out of the balanced output and they shine. everything just opened up, I had to reduce the volume some 20 levels. I had been using the volume near 90 of 120 on high gain for both IEMs, with the balanced I turned it down to around 65. I had the same or very near EQ settings on both devices (as close as I could using the Audeze app). When testing the iSines on my old iPhone with the lightning port and cypher cable they had slight edge on soundstage, but also do not seal well. They are almost an open back (sound does leak, both ways). I had a fan running and I could clearly hear it with the iSine's, not interference, just the blades moving the air. Volume was just past half, so they both got more power, and a well needed push. The winner here was not so clear IMO, but I prefer the CL2's, maybe because they are newer toy.

I have been collecting IEM's and headphones in general for a few years, and till now nothing has made me think of selling any of them. The CL2's have started a spark, maybe its the combination of the Sony, and CL2's.

The test was conducted using Jethro Tull's greatest hits, Bungle in the Jungle track, and Broadsword, on a loop.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #320 of 3,158
Just tried to compare them. As I said the test is difficult to conduct due to the different connections, and some unfair advantages IMO.

Ran both the CL2's and iSines out of a Sony NW-ZX300 on 3.5 mm jack. Clear winner is the CL2's. Bass is better, sub bass is lacking in both, overall, its not muddy or thick, just reduced. The CL2's have better instrument separation, and you can better fix instrument location. Without ever hearing them both pushed they would both be very good, but not really anything to write about. They both suffer from a lack of power, and suffer terribly.

I ran the CL2's out of the balanced output and they shine. everything just opened up, I had to reduce the volume some 20 levels. I had been using the volume near 90 of 120 on high gain for both IEMs, with the balanced I turned it down to around 65. I had the same or very near EQ settings on both devices (as close as I could using the Audeze app). When testing the iSines on my old iPhone with the lightning port and cypher cable they had slight edge on soundstage, but also do not seal well. They are almost an open back (sound does leak, both ways). I had a fan running and I could clearly hear it with the iSine's, not interference, just the blades moving the air. Volume was just past half, so they both got more power, and a well needed push. The winner here was not so clear IMO, but I prefer the CL2's, maybe because they are newer toy.

I have been collecting IEM's and headphones in general for a few years, and till now nothing has made me think of selling any of them. The CL2's have started a spark, maybe its the combination of the Sony, and CL2's.

The test was conducted using Jethro Tull's greatest hits, Bungle in the Jungle track, and Broadsword, on a loop.

Nice, thanks! I like the iSine a lot (currently used mostly balanced with an ALO CDM), but the lack of isolation means they're only appropriate in some situations.

Oct 3, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #321 of 3,158
Nice, thanks! I like the iSine a lot (currently used mostly balanced with an ALO CDM), but the lack of isolation means they're only appropriate in some situations.

I really like the iSines too, they were my favorite IEM, but the plastic ear hooks hurt my ears and the open concept as you said was not appropriate in all situations.

Oct 3, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #322 of 3,158
Is that the pure silver cable?

Nope, given the signature of the CL2 and my own preferences I went for a copper cable that brings body and warmth with emphasis on vocal presence and should smoothen the highs a tad (this is based on @flinkenick's review). I have a hunch it will be happily married to the CL2 for some reason :)

I already prefer the RHA copper cable even if it's not balanced, as I said SPC tend to artifically boost detail and for me, the CL2 doesn't need it. Given my own preferences I'll go toward a tad more warmth, body and texture rather than sharpness, air and energy up top. YMMV.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #323 of 3,158
I really like the iSines too, they were my favorite IEM, but the plastic ear hooks hurt my ears and the open concept as you said was not appropriate in all situations.
Are you using the klipsch oval tips?
Did they fit the CL2?
I need to find some comfortable tips.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #324 of 3,158
Are you using the klipsch oval tips?
Did they fit the CL2?
I need to find some comfortable tips.

Yes, to both. They took a little bit of work to get on as the hole is smaller, but they do fit on the CL2's

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #325 of 3,158
Yes, to both. They took a little bit of work to get on as the hole is smaller, but they do fit on the CL2's
How's the bass response and trebble with the smaller bore. Soundstage

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #326 of 3,158
How's the bass response and trebble with the smaller bore. Soundstage

I think they are good, in all aspects of sound. the isolation is very good. I couldn't get a good fit with the RHA tips. The Klispch tips fit my ears, I have to dig them out, no slip

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #327 of 3,158
I think they are good, in all aspects of sound. the isolation is very good. I couldn't get a good fit with the RHA tips. The Klispch tips fit my ears, I have to dig them out, no slip
Cool thanks. And mediums run standard size?
That is what I use.
I am gonna order some.

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #328 of 3,158
Cool thanks. And mediums run standard size?
That is what I use.
I am gonna order some.
I use the large, on both the RHA double flange, and the Klispch, both seemed best for me so if mediums from RHA worked for you I would stay with that size.

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #329 of 3,158
I use the large, on both the RHA double flange, and the Klispch, both seemed best for me so if mediums from RHA worked for you I would stay with that size.
Sweet. Just ordered them. Hopefully they work for me.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #330 of 3,158
So first impressions with the CL2… out of DX200Ti / AMP8 balanced with Tennmaks one word : extended!
Do you have other DAP or Amp to try? I am considering purchasing DX200/AMP8 to drive CL2. Carrying iDSD is too cumbersome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back