Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Oct 10, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #2,941 of 3,158
I was going to wait a bit longer before I posted anything, but since you asked, I received my custom sleeves for my CL2's on Tuesday and have been doing some listening tests with them to try to give some impressions for the thread.

I had been looking into trying to make my own in CAD and get them 3D printed, but I kept running into roadblocks. By pure chance I came across a company from Boulder at RMAF that does custom earplugs, and also works with another company (either Final Audio or an associate of theirs) to make IEM ear sleeves.

I gave them my CL2's for a couple of weeks so they could be scanned, and they took ear impressions at RMAF to be scanned as well so everything could be matched up properly.

The fit is perfect, it just took some getting used to having the sleeves go that far in my ear. It takes a few tries to get the process down for insertion/removal, but it gets to be simple.

They are 3D printed from silicone and are easy to clean with some warm water and a Q-Tip.

As for sound, they do sound very good, but I am definitely noticing differences from my SpinFits. With the SpinFits I do not hear the 4k hump others do (I am guessing because of how large my ear canals are), but with these I am hearing some kind of mid bump, I think because of how far the sleeves reach into my ears, negating the natural size/shape of my canals. There is still great low end extension, but the mid bump is negating some of the high end extension I think. For some this may not be a big deal because they have already negated the mid issues via EQ.

The sound is not bad, just enough of a difference to be noticeable.

I am going to reach out to the company to see if there are any alterations that can be done to shorten the pieces, or adjust the bore diameter for any frequency adjustments.

If anyone is interested, the company is E.A.R. Inc in Boulder, CO. You would just send them some ear impressions and they build off of that, which takes around 2 weeks after receipt of impressions (now that they have scan files from my CL2's). They gave me a coupon code for $20 off to share, so if you are interested PM me and I can give it to you.

If you have any questions let me know.

They look sweet.

Oct 12, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #2,942 of 3,158
To the ones that have a WM1A, give Firmware 1.2 a shot.
Great synergy with the CL2.
More BASS, fuller sound, more Coherent, Vocals are smoother and emotionally expressive.
More Organic presentation, just sublime.
Compared to the 3.01. Both Direct Source on.

Gregory Porter sounds amazing.....HD Tracks.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #2,943 of 3,158
After some tinkering around on both my desktop and portable rigs I was able to get the new sleeves EQ'd close to the sound I had with the SpinFits, but I am not a fan of EQ.

I am also too OCD to leave it alone, so today I took my Dremel and drilled out the bores to try to shape them into a "horn" type setup. I almost doubled the inner diameter (to 4mm) for the last 5mm of the bore, and as you can see in the picture below on the right, I flared out the end.

To my complete amazement they sound really good with these changes. I am going through my test tracks right now and I think these now sound as good as the SpinFits do. The mid hump has been tamed, and high-end extension is back, with no sacrifice to the low-end.

I have a feeling most people will not have to go to this extreme to make these sound good as I think my hearing is very different from most, so I still wholeheartedly recommend these. Again, if anyone is interested, PM me for a discount code.

LRM_EXPORT_580062728512276_20191012_181609875.jpeg

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #2,944 of 3,158
After some tinkering around on both my desktop and portable rigs I was able to get the new sleeves EQ'd close to the sound I had with the SpinFits, but I am not a fan of EQ.

I am also too OCD to leave it alone, so today I took my Dremel and drilled out the bores to try to shape them into a "horn" type setup. I almost doubled the inner diameter (to 4mm) for the last 5mm of the bore, and as you can see in the picture below on the right, I flared out the end.

To my complete amazement they sound really good with these changes. I am going through my test tracks right now and I think these now sound as good as the SpinFits do. The mid hump has been tamed, and high-end extension is back, with no sacrifice to the low-end.

I have a feeling most people will not have to go to this extreme to make these sound good as I think my hearing is very different from most, so I still wholeheartedly recommend these. Again, if anyone is interested, PM me for a discount code.

cl2 shape itself is one of the most comfortable iem ive ever had though

edit: always tempted to make a custom tip but never pull a trigger yet :/

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #2,945 of 3,158

If the Spiral Dots didn't fit me as well as they do, I would be getting these tips 100%. They look very nice

On another thought, I am absolutely loving the 1.20 firmware for the WM1A, it is an incredible match with the CL2.
Been listening to the combo all day now, simply cannot put it down.

Oct 13, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #2,946 of 3,158
I'm considering buying Cozoy DAC from Linsoul. Has anyone had any experience with it, especially with CL2?
upload_2019-10-12_23-28-42.png
Both P1 & CL2 sound pretty good with Creative Super X-fi but SXFI cannot go above 48Ksps, so I'm missing out on my portable setup. CL2 with Monster tips is surprisingly comfortable and isolation is on par with my daily driver - Roland. Also, has anyone compared CL2 with Obravo Cupid?
(The cable on the pic is 12" Fiio spc which I additionally secured with heat-shrink)
XyYOaos5Kj6eH0LQCnZvmIBQM_rgVE03z-bFaE9m_ookGS9ig-3qvp7mB2ygZBsKJf6SYAh5AGjSOMPXz5bhzGa0KnyHJ8mzmgaxoukFIC2Xdl6CUdE-F-pVzxLg85ajFFT11zArX3zv-wkGsCtFgKGK0Jhvcv5OYjU0-0Str3_fc8Uiwy8t5FtTszJ5YQrgKvsev2Q2f2WlMzPwq7DYTNi6haUgrlG_3FmMw0jV1Yz7_gYtYKP8Mbjrrd_OLK6sN-xADPs78fHCvJL9zJd5VL_F_FypPtXqy7yCFf7UcvhmeeOUZzPXlx9AezkqRVu6PWmZgUxoU4ae_mPc_RTvxfR0CUCsSpNSFpbdk1yRXL_rGQa8a9sz6EgM-Cl4uEZEKx-c2mpAP9jJQUT-Tq5Ckzg4C__fywaNmWN0UTTTyyIzuKEoXWrYPvsK-_3vcn0IXClg0GotTt4NN3lef2Zlb9tWsmjkbmQT40wfMwSfUUs_yqwrn1QD8r9YYpFjNvX5fU2PklkQnmf3l2aSbPmw-Z5HS-kamrB80P3msPM_D6fMIxtOTdMR1wAjYMHW7RvzOIVWG6UaqDitKUnSSvxFcEfL-DJxP-vwsQ5vxPkfNO7rBEK-7RihXwSZu6V3MJ9qZ1QPQpSrugbIUa0HiI-sZV3rcFArQbHSbDmzkueJqRP2aMjaVFifVw=w3117-h2014-no

Oct 13, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #2,948 of 3,158
How does this compare to sony m9?
Totally different tuning. CL2 has boosted upper midrange. The female vocals are mostly inside our head. M9 is the most balance iem ive ever had.

im leaning toward m9 personally due to relax but clear sounding. The spatial cues/imaging of m9 is almost on par as kse1200. Meanwhile, cl2 is really intimate sounding. I would say intense intimate.

Oct 13, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #2,951 of 3,158
Sorry for beating a dead horse....
But just switched to Firmware 2.0 with the WM1A...and it's a really good match with the CL2.
How I would rate all the firmware paired with the CL2 is as such
2.0>1.2>3.01>1.02....3.0 and 3.02 for me were not enjoyable in the least.

2.0 has the bass that the CL2 needs, and Holographic 3D Staging. Resolution is higher than the 1.2
2.0 also gets rid of some of the 1.2 Mid-Bass bloat.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #2,952 of 3,158
Oct 15, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #2,953 of 3,158
I'm considering buying Cozoy DAC from Linsoul. Has anyone had any experience with it, especially with CL2?

Both P1 & CL2 sound pretty good with Creative Super X-fi but SXFI cannot go above 48Ksps, so I'm missing out on my portable setup. CL2 with Monster tips is surprisingly comfortable and isolation is on par with my daily driver - Roland. Also, has anyone compared CL2 with Obravo Cupid?
(The cable on the pic is 12" Fiio spc which I additionally secured with heat-shrink)
XyYOaos5Kj6eH0LQCnZvmIBQM_rgVE03z-bFaE9m_ookGS9ig-3qvp7mB2ygZBsKJf6SYAh5AGjSOMPXz5bhzGa0KnyHJ8mzmgaxoukFIC2Xdl6CUdE-F-pVzxLg85ajFFT11zArX3zv-wkGsCtFgKGK0Jhvcv5OYjU0-0Str3_fc8Uiwy8t5FtTszJ5YQrgKvsev2Q2f2WlMzPwq7DYTNi6haUgrlG_3FmMw0jV1Yz7_gYtYKP8Mbjrrd_OLK6sN-xADPs78fHCvJL9zJd5VL_F_FypPtXqy7yCFf7UcvhmeeOUZzPXlx9AezkqRVu6PWmZgUxoU4ae_mPc_RTvxfR0CUCsSpNSFpbdk1yRXL_rGQa8a9sz6EgM-Cl4uEZEKx-c2mpAP9jJQUT-Tq5Ckzg4C__fywaNmWN0UTTTyyIzuKEoXWrYPvsK-_3vcn0IXClg0GotTt4NN3lef2Zlb9tWsmjkbmQT40wfMwSfUUs_yqwrn1QD8r9YYpFjNvX5fU2PklkQnmf3l2aSbPmw-Z5HS-kamrB80P3msPM_D6fMIxtOTdMR1wAjYMHW7RvzOIVWG6UaqDitKUnSSvxFcEfL-DJxP-vwsQ5vxPkfNO7rBEK-7RihXwSZu6V3MJ9qZ1QPQpSrugbIUa0HiI-sZV3rcFArQbHSbDmzkueJqRP2aMjaVFifVw=w3117-h2014-no
Hi there, I tried this and the dragon fly cobalt on my iPhone with tidal. It was excellent. I had a really tough time deciding between this and. The cobalt. It was very detailed but wasn’t quite as wide a sound stage as the dragon fly - but a bit brighter. I ultimately went with the dragon fly due to its ability for MQA but it took me a good 3 hours to decide! PS this was with my CL2’s.

Oct 15, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #2,955 of 3,158
Im not really sure , maybe I just keep them in my collection. I like them , but I got recently 2 new iems , which I adore more , and with my legend x it makes 3 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back