Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Jan 20, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #2,026 of 3,158

This Johannes Brahms : Violin Concerto in D Major, Op. 77 rendition is sounding especially good today. Drivers are opening up really nicely. Violin is simply crying.
Hoping I'll be back to pre replacement fidelity and more in a short few days.
Just lovely.

@lithiumnk try using the EDM method of burn in, it is super effective and fast. Just works.

I might have just stumbled onto something here. 24 hours of max volume, high gain, zx300, EDM blasting through these, and micro details are through the roof. I have never heard them sound as good as they sound right now. Itll be very interesting when @cj3209 and I meet up and we can compare our CL2s. Really curious as to what he will say.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #2,027 of 3,158
I personally do not recommend full volume on high gain on the Sony.

I listen at eccentric levels, and I can hear the drivers sounding not so happy at volume 100 at high gain... 120 would probably be toasting them a little.

Last thing you'd want is for someone to get them, thrash the hell out of them, and find they have a random track that puts more distortion into them than they're happy to accept and cook the drivers.

Jan 21, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #2,028 of 3,158
Yeah no joke, they sound incredible right now. I didn't wanna sit through another 300 hours of burn in, and pretty much got frustrated into doing this. (Had 900 hours before I sent them in)
They are so Damn responsive right now, every detail, bass vibration is just there in oodles.
The CL2 do not have coils, maybe that played a part in it, but I am sure they are designed to handle more stress than a ZX300 can put on them, even at full volume.
Yeah, but you are right, better safe than sorry. Either way, I think EDM is much more effective than pink noise at burning these in.

Edit: I wouldn't do full volume out of the box anyways, maybe ease up into it slowly. Over a few days.

Also I still can't believe you listen to them anywhere close to a 100 on high gain.
I'm at 90 low gain, and max 95 on some albums with low volume, on the ZX300, let alone the WM1A.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #2,029 of 3,158
I sit 90% of my time at 85/120 on high gain - they sing sweetly there!

Some music just demands to be listened to more loudly - that is when i go up to 100 - that isn't very often though, and not for very long :)

Jan 21, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #2,030 of 3,158
Most of my listening is between 60-70 high gain on the WM1a

Jan 21, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #2,031 of 3,158
:deadhorse:
Most of my listening is between 60-70 high gain on the WM1a
That's about my listening volume.
At the moment I am building a 2 channel speaker system, as soon as its done, I'll be getting my WM1A. The combo you guys have is special :) 1 level above the ZX300, which is no slouch either.
@Duncan still needs a copper cable :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::ksc75smile:

Jan 21, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #2,032 of 3,158
I'm getting a new QLED (Q9FN) TV on Thursday hopefully (waiting on a cheque to clear, and - yes, to the Americans in the room, that is the correct way to spell it lol), but even though that'll be cool, I think that the WM1A / CL2 combo will provide me with more enjoyment.

I am starting to question (especially knowing that I have much higher cost IEMs that don't appease me as much as these do), what exactly I'd need to do to "upgrade".

Jan 21, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #2,033 of 3,158
@Duncan those are the questions you ponder when you have...
Already caught the dragon.

Good place to be.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #2,034 of 3,158
@Kitechaser I’ve still not got a copper cable yet either, think I’m using the cable from amazon as @Duncan

I can’t decide on which one to buy, I don’t want to spend a great deal, it’s a Scottish thing!!

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #2,035 of 3,158
@Kitechaser I’ve still not got a copper cable yet either, think I’m using the cable from amazon as @Duncan

I can’t decide on which one to buy, I don’t want to spend a great deal, it’s a Scottish thing!!
Maybe @Dsnuts can help out this thread by recommending some good OCC Copper cables. He always knows about all the crazy deals.
Wonder what he has in his bag of tricks :wink:

Jan 21, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #2,036 of 3,158
This looks like a pretty solid cable.
Also @mahesh is selling a copper cable if someone needs one.

Another cheaper one.

I know a lot of people are also buying this one.

@McCol and @Duncan

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #2,037 of 3,158
You guys know there's a thread about lower priced cables, which still offer good quality, right?

Hakuzen, in particular, has measured the resistance of quite a few (lower resistance=higher conductivity, so generally better - though one then also has to take into account the quality of the manufacturing - one of the samples of his top rated one, for instance, had some problems and he had to return it).

I have both of this 2 top rated (lower conductivity) copper cables, and they're nice (and the sample I got of his first one was good, thankfully, in my case :)) .

Here's the thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low-end-cheap-generic-otherwise-bang-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/

From memory, also, I think that @hakuzen said that neotech (the first cable that @Kitechaser linked) is good stuff, but expensive - and I confess to not having a clue if the extra cost is justified by the extra "goodness" :) ... maybe hakuzen could chime in on that.

Jan 22, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #2,038 of 3,158

This song sounds great on my CL2 now. Songs that's sounded harsh before sound great. Weird
I think blasting the Driver with high volume EDM opened it up completely.
This song sounds incredible, almost 3d in depth.
I have a Halo 4 soundtrack on my player Flac version, and same thing, it sounded weird and harsh, and now has great depth and clarity.
If people can list more tracks that sound harsh for them, it'd be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #2,039 of 3,158
@Tragic sent me a link to this song that sounds harsh on his set.

On mine it doesn't, at all.
It's a mediocre song, but that's besides the point.

Now who is going to be the brave person who follows my lead and does the EDM burn?
Any takers....

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #2,040 of 3,158
@Tragic sent me a link to this song that sounds harsh on his set.

On mine it doesn't, at all.
It's a mediocre song, but that's besides the point.

Now who is going to be the brave person who follows my lead and does the EDM burn?
Any takers....

I'm curious how an EDM track (with no vocals) is supposed to sound objectively 'harsh?' I would attribute any harshness to the electronics used and not a fault of the iem. Let me find some tracks that are still a bit harsh on my CL2s...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back