Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Jan 16, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #2,012 of 3,158

Euphoria for Classical? Any other agree :)

Oh yes, absolutely. The only thing I would say is that this is one of the few iems where I would strongly advise against using foam tips as they completely change the sound signature and to my ears kill the bass.
With the right silicone tips the bass is damn near basshead levels.
Guitars are goosebump levels every single time, unless, again, I wear foams.
That is how my ears hear the CL2 with the packaged comply tips and it's even worse with the T400s.
Classical music is just a joy to listen to.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #2,013 of 3,158
Listening to (well, watching) my BR rip of Beth Hart live at the Royal Albert Hall on the Xperia XZ3 via LDAC into the WM1A and CL2 is both a visual and aural delight.

I cannot conceive right now how I would improve on this for a commuting experience.

Jan 17, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #2,014 of 3,158
Just got my CL2 back.
Damn, it sounds good :)
I've been mostly listening to my 2 channel speaker setup, and the Solaris for a bit,
After putting these back into my ears, I clearly see a need to raise my game on the Floor speaker level.
Any music below this SQ is just no longer acceptable to my ears.
@Duncan we are spoiled rotten :wink:
Bless the Audio Gods!

Looking at these, would be nice a few months down the road.

Sounds great on the CL2.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #2,015 of 3,158
Okay so unless I am mistaken, to me it sounds like either the right bud has been retuned or also swapped out.
The CL2 sound a bit bass lite.
Otherwise, they sound incredible, soundstage is wider, and more even. Bass is placed center stage, was stage right before.
Will have to burn them in for 200 hours.
Will be interesting to see how they change again.

Edit: yup the DSP options on my ZX300 sound better than direct out.
This is the same thing that happened the first time with the CL2.
After 200 hours the DSP started sounding wrong, and direct out was the only way to go.
I am having to burn these in again..... oh well, no way around it.
Also proves that this was no brain burn in, the drivers go through a change, it's a physical process.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #2,016 of 3,158
Ran the cascade files on the CL2 for 15 hours last night (high volume), and it opened up the drivers.
Bass is back to where I remember it (and more, The drivers probably hadn't been used much for a few weeks and needed a good excercise)
Soundstage is wide open, more than it was before I sent them in. They are putting a smile to my face ear to ear.
Just MAGIC, pure magic.
My right driver is in fact the original, and left was the only one replaced.
I maintain more than ever, that this is the summit of IEM sound, just doesn't get any better than this :)
Bass response is just perfect for my ears, anything more than this is a good recipe for ear damage. (Hands down no.1 on my list)
Thank you @RHA Team for taking care of this, very very happy with the replacement.

Edit: Running everything through a ZX300. Still. ALO Audio Copper cable.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #2,017 of 3,158
Listened to the CL2s for 4 hours straight yesterday ...usually I get tired with most iems after an hour or so but the CL2s are very engaging and, for me, non-fatiguing which is a pretty good feat. Trying out some different cables for the best balanced sound for me. So far, I've tried the RHA OEM Silver and Copper cables (Copper was better for me) and two silver cables (Whiplash TWAg V3 and Plussound EXO silver & gold). I have another cable coming in a few days, silver/gold with copper (EA Lionheart). So far, I like the Plussound cable the best. I'll probably have a few cables up for sale later on...lol...

Back to the music...

:L3000::L3000::L3000:

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #2,018 of 3,158
Listened to the CL2s for 4 hours straight yesterday ...usually I get tired with most iems after an hour or so but the CL2s are very engaging and, for me, non-fatiguing which is a pretty good feat. Trying out some different cables for the best balanced sound for me. So far, I've tried the RHA OEM Silver and Copper cables (Copper was better for me) and two silver cables (Whiplash TWAg V3 and Plussound EXO silver & gold). I have another cable coming in a few days, silver/gold with copper (EA Lionheart). So far, I like the Plussound cable the best. I'll probably have a few cables up for sale later on...lol...

Back to the music...

:L3000::L3000::L3000:
We have to meet up soon, so you can try out my cable, and I can get an audition of yours. Also looking forward to giving the LCDi4 a listen :) Monday hopefully
+1 on iem fatigue. Or lack there of

Jan 18, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #2,019 of 3,158
Monday sounds good.
:)

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #2,020 of 3,158
@Kitechaser I have a strong feeling that you will not like lcdi4(with/without EQ).
Best of luck!

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #2,021 of 3,158
@Kitechaser I have a strong feeling that you will not like lcdi4(with/without EQ).
Best of luck!
Why do you say that? How would you say they are different?
I'm very interested In hearing your take on the CL2 while we are are at it :)
Seeing how you've had a bit more time with it.
Edit: I am excited to give it a listen, and will give it fair shake :)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #2,022 of 3,158
LCD i4 is more forgiving ... sounds good with all genres and does not require good recordings .. CL2s are analytical planars ( sounds odd)..
CL2s vocals are more forward and revealing as compared to lcdi4(EQed) but lacks the openness.. they have more energy up top ... lacks the mid bass impact but have a wonderful sub bass...
These are my observations with a stock unbalanced copper cable and burn in of around 100 hours.
I love my CL2s and I know cable rolling and further burn in will definitely improve them...

Jan 19, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #2,023 of 3,158
LCD i4 is more forgiving ... sounds good with all genres and does not require good recordings .. CL2s are analytical planars ( sounds odd)..
CL2s vocals are more forward and revealing as compared to lcdi4(EQed) but lacks the openness.. they have more energy up top ... lacks the mid bass impact but have a wonderful sub bass...
These are my observations with a stock unbalanced copper cable and burn in of around 100 hours.
I love my CL2s and I know cable rolling and further burn in will definitely improve them...
Good to know...

Killer question though, does the CL2 trounce the i4 for VFM - being only 1/3 the price, I'd imagine so!

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #2,024 of 3,158
I've listened to the signature you are describing my whole life :) I like it very much.
The only thing is, i think the CL2 signature is so unique, that it has me listening to all my music in a completely different way.
The pull back on the Mid bass brings with it clarity and separation, and I am just loving the bass textures on all the string instruments, pianos, the thumps of drums, the reverberations that come through so clearly. Usual tunings on the Mid bass would have covered it all up. It's a trade off alright, but to me, it is a very strategic and kind of like a genius one.
The mid bass does open up with more use, but itll never intrude on the higher frequencies, this driver just keeps on getting better till about 300-350 or so hours.
Keep the burn going, and tips make a huge difference. More than most people would believe.
Like @Duncan said, just a steal for the price they are asking.
For me personally Classical, Blues, Jazz, Instrumentals, Movie Soundtracks, Vocals, Ambient, Rock, well mastered EDM, big thumbs up :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

ADD: Burn in is a giant P.I.T.A.
I am having to do it all over again :frowning2:
Left driver is new

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #2,025 of 3,158
Okay, so I don't think the pink noise is doing much, going back to blasting them with Higher Volume EDM.
Gotta get the driver to flex and loosen up.

ADD: yeah pink noise is horsecrap.
The driver needs a good old thump, running it on high gain max volume on the ZX300, it's designed to tolerate a lot more stress than what this player can provide.
Did 6 hours and micro details on the bass, especially guitars and violins have started becoming way more audible. They went from sounding flat to having more soul and textures. Just an increase in bass quality in general. Yeah this is the way to go, no question. The 16um diaphragm needs a good kick in the behind to loosen up.
Will be running it like this whenever it's not in use over the next week to 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back