InEarZ (Fisher Hearing) Custom Remold Owner's Thread
Jan 21, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #811 of 3,191

Quote:
Can anyone who has reshelled customs via Fisher tell me about the sound quality in comparison to their existing universals? (e.g. reshelled ES3X v. stock TF10 or something like that.)

I've had my re-shelled TF-10 for about two months now, sound generally is about the same, but with one major change.  I think my challenge to getting good sound from my TF-10 was fit.  I constantly had to fiddle with them to keep them seated properly to get good bass response.  With the customs, they fit solid and don't lose their seal.  This makes a huge difference.  I might say the highs maybe aren't as bright, its hard to say (I'm no connisseur), really they sound so much better over most of the time that I cannot complain. 

BTW, fit was perfect and Kaysen did a great job at answering questions.  Finish/detailing could be better, but part of that was in my choices and I'm living just fine with them.  I like the Fisher cable, not sure how it compares to high end ones, but much better than stock TF-10.  Overall a very worth it for me.

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #812 of 3,191
Can I get in on this group buy?

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #813 of 3,191
I'll PM you all the details as soon as I get home. It's just too tediously do this on my iphone. It's extremely glitchy on headfi :p

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #814 of 3,191
I'm thinking about joining the group buy if I can get the money together quickly and I was wondering about cables. I hear some cables can bring up the midrange on the tf10's and I was wondering if I were to join the group buy should I just get it with the original tf10 cable and if I do, will that allow me to buy/fit better cables down the road?

Small edit: What cable would you suggest to help the mids also? Im not looking for a HUGE difference like a 3 driver unique melody remold would do but I generally like my headphones to be more even sounding.

I hope I can enter the group buy, about a year ago I wanted to get my custom 3's remolded by them (since theyre only about 15 minutes away) but money and school got a little rocky so I ended up not doing it.

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #817 of 3,191
Good afternoon,

Looks like you guys are having some fun with the remold process.

1. I am not sure how different my remolded TF-10's sound from the stock.  It is just that the stock ones were so uncomfortable that they were almost worthless.  If you cant listen to them for long periods of time pain free how good are they?

2. The remolded ones sound great.  Please note that the improvement in quality made the purchase of the dock and the amp all the more justifiable and now I always listen through the dock and amp.  I am not looking for anything else until these break.  Hopefully that will be a long time.

3. I bought the cable from "ChrisHimself" (AudioLounge).  It is pure silver.  It is stiff compared to the cable I had originally (the UE cable), and very stiff compared to the cable from Kaysan.  The cable had to go back to "ChrisHimself" for a bit of correction.  For the short time I had it, it was NIRVANA!!  And I do not mean the group from Seattle.  I knew intuitively that good cables could a difference.  I now know that great cables make a huge difference.  Clarity, detail, definition, especially in the critical midrange, everything is now in balance at least to my hearing.  For $100.00 you get $500.00 worth of correction.  The cable was a bargain!  I can't wait until I get it back.  (Need an example? I lost my ER-4p's and I was heartbroken - my primary for 3 years.  They are somewhere in the house and I will find them.  These are much much better - I do not miss the ER-4p's at all anymore.)  

4. I sure hope the guy from the bay area did not go to a place to get his impressions that I suggested.  The tech who did mine used the bite block and cotton dams as requested in the instructions.  Please note that if you want a good custom IEM you NEED a good impression.  Stand your ground.  FWIW if you hear air leaking into the ear during the molding process of the impression you will have a leaking IEM.  Make them do the impression again.  Hold still and keep the seal during the impression process.  You will be glad you did.  My remolds go in like they are magnetic to my ears.  Taking them out it has almost like a vacuum seal.  If yours are not like that get them redone.  Also, if the nozzles where the sound comes out press against the skin inside your ear they may be too long and you are going to have diminished high frequency response.  If you have to mess with them to get them just right in your ears they need to be redone.  Do not settle for less than great.

Bottom line, these are great transducers for listening to music.  If they are not satisfactory a better impression, a remold, a better cable, an amp, and dewaxing your ears may be just the thing.  I don't know if they are as good as the best JH's, Westones, UE customs, or UM's (or any other top models) - I have not heard those.  I have heard Shures and Etymotics and these are better; and I am satisfied, very satisfied.

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #818 of 3,191
Glad to see so many of you guys are getting the TF10 remolded.  It's been about 4 months with mine and I am as happy now as I was back when I got them.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #821 of 3,191

Quote:
I am not sure I could handle getting customs. The time having them gone would be brutal. Not to mention its not a one time deal since your ears can change and having them re-fitted would mean even more time without them.

Absence makes the heart (and ears!) grow fonder.  I think it's a great opportunity to switch to a different style IEM and appreciate the subtle (or not so subtle!) differences they offer.  Enjoying some cheap ($9)  Bass Freq V-modas and the air they move vs. the BA TF10's.  Got these to tide me over during the reshell.  Shipping delays kept me from doing the reshell before wife and I go on a vacation for couple weeks, but will still do it when I return.

Yes, the ears are the only body part that continues to enlarge as we age so resizing is therefore mandatory and intuitively obvious, but unless you're a teenager, by the time you need to do that subsequent reshell, technology will most likely necessitate a new set of whatever it is you prefer to listen to your audio through, so it should be a budgeted expense.  It is for me, anyway, 

If you like the stocks that much, do what I did and buy another pair and put em on a shelf till you need them!

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #822 of 3,191

Quote:
I am not sure I could handle getting customs. The time having them gone would be brutal. Not to mention its not a one time deal since your ears can change and having them re-fitted would mean even more time without them.

To be honest... your ears dont change enough to get them refitted for at least 5 years or so. the changes are so slight you wouldn't really notice. The only time you would have a drastic change in size is when you loose or gain a lot of weight.

Think about it... people buy hearing aids from us and keep them for 6-10 years without a refit. And most hearing aid wearers are very aware of fit, for vanity reasons.

Time without iems= 3to4 weeks
Time with a comfortable headphone you can wear for hours = ? (it's up to you) :)

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #823 of 3,191
My weight has crept up on me the last five years, so I want to lose about 50 pounds.  If someone loses a large amount of weight, how does that affect the fit of the custom IEM?  Would it fit tighter or looser after the weight loss?

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #824 of 3,191
I lost a fairly significant amount of weight after getting my impressions done (35 lbs), and then had my customs done and the fit is still spot on.  I dunno if this helps you or not, but I thought I'd share.

Quote:
My weight has crept up on me the last five years, so I want to lose about 50 pounds.  If someone loses a large amount of weight, how does that affect the fit of the custom IEM?  Would it fit tighter or looser after the weight loss?

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #825 of 3,191

Quote:
I lost a fairly significant amount of weight after getting my impressions done (35 lbs), and then had my customs done and the fit is still spot on.  I dunno if this helps you or not, but I thought I'd share.

Did you cut back on da KimChee. :wink:

Ate Korean food this past week. Good 2 portions of KimChee :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back