InEarZ (Fisher Hearing) Custom Remold Owner's Thread
Jan 27, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #841 of 3,191
this may sound stupid but have you tried to bend in the contacts in the socket closer with a pen or bend the connector on the plug outwards to get them to stay? it isn't the best fix but if it can get the plug to stay it should be fine.

(Usually run into the same problem on my RC connectors)

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #842 of 3,191
Are your IEM's still within the 1 year warranty? If they are, I'd definitely contact Kaysen about this. 

Quote:
So, the right cable is snug and is fine, and I guess the left socket (the one that fell off) didn't actually have loose sockets. It was ripped out somehow (though that doesn't make sense as the headphones were underneath my shirt to prevent it from getting caught/snagged anywhere). The left connector has bent pins and the pins have a bit of plastic in between them that they ripped out of the earpiece socket. The earpiece socket holes look odd (a little sliver/section of the metal socket holes have been pulled out of each hole) and there's some plastic chunks missing off the earpiece as well.

Here are some pics:

And here is the other earpiece, which is normal and shows no plastic that has been broken off around the socket edge:

I'm pretty irritated now. Even if I can straighten out the pins, I don't know if they'll stay in the socket anymore. Sucks, too, since I really liked these headphones.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #843 of 3,191
This sort of issue is why I prefer a decent guarantee to removeable cables.  Never seen the point myself.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #844 of 3,191

Quote:
So, the right cable is snug and is fine, and I guess the left socket (the one that fell off) didn't actually have loose sockets. It was ripped out somehow (though that doesn't make sense as the headphones were underneath my shirt to prevent it from getting caught/snagged anywhere). The left connector has bent pins and the pins have a bit of plastic in between them that they ripped out of the earpiece socket. The earpiece socket holes look odd (a little sliver/section of the metal socket holes have been pulled out of each hole) and there's some plastic chunks missing off the earpiece as well.

Really nice set of headphones. Very nicely finished.

The old design (pre 9/2009) sockets must be fairly fragile.

It makes sense to minimize the plug as much as possible, but then what would we grip when we install or remove the cables from the body?

I wonder if there is a pre 9/2009 UE type cable connector with a right angle end.  Since custom IEMs are designed to have the cable sweep over the ears, I figure a right angle plug would remove a bit more stress on the socket.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #845 of 3,191
Very interesting, I emailed them on Friday to see what the prices and details are, I hope to hear back from them soon.  I'm pretty sure they are slammed right now, I don't want to do without my TF10 for a month lol.

Quote:
During my last email exchange with them, i was told they can add drivers if desired. you will have to email them for options and price.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #846 of 3,191

Quote:
Are your IEM's still within the 1 year warranty? If they are, I'd definitely contact Kaysen about this. 

Yes, the headphones are only 4 months old. I'm not sure if they'll want to warranty it because they might just say it was my fault that the earpiece got ripped out somehow like that. I've gotten the headphones snagged on things before, but usually the ear loop on the cable catches and the earpieces themselves are untouched.

I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. Also, I didn't take pictures of this, but the two little socket holes were actually yanked up and broke free of the solder that connects the socket tubes/holes to the wires. There's still a few strands of wire holding them on so the sound should work...

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #847 of 3,191

Quote:

Really nice set of headphones. Very nicely finished.

The old design (pre 9/2009) sockets must be fairly fragile.

It makes sense to minimize the plug as much as possible, but then what would we grip when we install or remove the cables from the body?

I wonder if there is a pre 9/2009 UE type cable connector with a right angle end.  Since custom IEMs are designed to have the cable sweep over the ears, I figure a right angle plug would remove a bit more stress on the socket.

Thanks, they actually caused me to sell off most of my other IEM's and portables.

My original TF10's were bought in July of last year (2011) so if they did change the design, mine probably were the "new" design, but either way it doesn't matter as I had the inearz/westone sockets and pins installed instead of the original UE pins.

Having a right angle connector on the cable would be a good idea, but the earpieces themselves would have to be redesigned. The sockets would have to be moved to get the 90 degree connectors to work.

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #848 of 3,191
Woops, sorry, I meant 9/2010.  I think all of the universal Triple-Fi's use the old socket.

Old Plug ^

New Plug ^  (Looks like it is angled, after all)

Oh, it looks like UE does use angled plugs on their UE18 Pro Custom line.  Definitely a smart move.

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #849 of 3,191
Anyone who owns the new style right angle UE cable....
would it be possible to cut the female "flare" off of the new style UE cables? creating an old style compatible plug with a short angle? seems like this would be real strong and if the height/angle works with going over the ear, it would be a good alternative to the standard straight plug.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #851 of 3,191
That awesome, I havent seen a cable first person so i didnt know the shape of the inside, some careful file work could produce some great results. Especially for the majority of TF10 reshellers cause often Fisher leaves that slightl raised connector port, you could file off the new UE cables and leave just a little recess, and it would have a nice small male female connection for strength and support. Like a half and half. Plus it makes the cables usable if someone got one by mistake. Definately let me know on that when you get your shells back.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #852 of 3,191
Bad things are starting to happen. I sent an email about getting a possible reshell done. If I get the right answers my wallet might get lighter. I want to see if they can do a solid black color, then do a swirl in blue and white, the colors in the link below of my pool cue.

http://www.robinsoncues.com/catalog/e61.html

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #853 of 3,191
delete

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #855 of 3,191

Quote:
What is the price of remolding? Are there any discounts for international buyers? Maybe for head-fi users?

The group buy price is $85 + free artwork. Impressions from an audiologist is $50 for the place I called. Shipping is going to be around $18 for me if I choose Next Day. The group buy is valid till Feb 29th. You can contact InEarZ if you need more info.

http://www.inearz.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back