In your opinion, can open headphone + desktop amp for $450-500 clearly "beat" Se535 or Westone 4?
Mar 30, 2011 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

imackler

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all! I'm toying with the idea of switching from iems to open cans.

My audio experience has been exclusively iems. But I just sit in an office all day. I have to be able to hear the phone or the door knock which almost makes the iems a disadvantage. I'll keep the ER4P for working at a coffee shop, etc.

Now, I know that iems and earphones have different strengths. But I would hate to take a lateral move though in sound quality. I want something bigger and better.

So far my favorite earphones have been the SE535, Westone 4 and the ER4P. I think the Se535 is the sound signature I like the most, though something between the W4, w/ controlled bass and extended treble, and SE535, with its lush mids, would be perfect. I have liked etymotics a lot, too, though I have yet to hear the ER4S.

I listen to mostly classical, lots of jazz, and some folk/rock/world (anything from Loreena Mckennit to Radiohead). I have mostly lossless on my ipod classic, though some 320bps. I'm not in need of a dac yet since i'm listening from the Ipod Classic, though I will probably move away from the classic when it croaks and get a DAC.

I'm looking at around $450-500 for desktop amp and headphones. It'll be tight but I hope I can get it done with your help! If of course, its recommended!

From reading up, good options for me seem to be DT880 (600 ohm) and HD600. I'm open to others and almost completely unaware as to what would be a good amp. I hate to mention the E9 because I don't want to limit people's input but I have been considering it.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back