In your opinion, at which price point do headphones provide the greatest value?
Aug 21, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #16 of 51
The Wuss, I agree. However a lot of us aren't putting down the cash for the Ed. 10 and many others. I might pick up another flagship headphone, but my audio cash is going towards speakers at the moment. I don't see that changing unless something really good turns up.

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #18 of 51
When I purchased the AKG K 1000 recently at $850, I was simply in awe, and didn't realize that a pair of headphones could so faithfully and realistically
elevate the listening experience to such aural heights - nothing has touched them since, not even the LCD-2's I must admit.

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #19 of 51
I would say the $300 range is right about where the point of diminishing returns is. Under $300 you've got the DT880, HD650, D2000, K701/702... all the nice headphones of yesteryear are here.

Aug 22, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #20 of 51

Quote:
Not a great question really. It completely depends on what you want. If you don't care about what more expensive cans delver, then.....

Quote:
I think its a great question. you know, there is such a thing as diminishing returns.

Agree, it's a very good and relevant question for anyone new to this. I also agree it's around $400 (Aus prices tend to be higher). Having access to Headphonic, I've heard a lot of products, and to my ears, diminishing returns kicks in around 400.

More expensive phones are technically better in what they do, but I haven't enjoyed any of them. Even for those wanting that in a headphone, $800 phone isn't going to be 100% better than a $400 one. Unless the gauge is enjoyment, and for that, we pay whatever the asking price is for it, and a $ 4 $ improvement is moot.

Aug 22, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #21 of 51

Quote:
  The headphone manufacturers need to lower prices before more people switch to speakers.

People use headphones for often a special reason, not that they can't find a speaker that they like for their budget, IMO. Also, many of us HP fans also use speakers. This subject has been done to death so I should stop here.

To comment on the subject, I say $300~$400 is a nice range.

Aug 22, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #22 of 51
Hmm... interesting question.  Financial status can certainly play a part.  I've always contended that there a number of fine headphones at budget prices but what I consider to be "budget prices" may be considered expensive by others.

There are a number of very capable headphones in the $150-$200 range and I have a lot of fun trying out headphones in this range.  One of them being a fav fun sounding, head bobbing 'phone - Shure's 750DJ.

I have made a conscious effort to avoid going all out in this hobby.  First, I really don't think I have the level of critical listening skills that others do here. So I have kept myself to a more lower high-end level.  I am totally contented with my DT990/600.  Love my RS1s as well.  I do have interest in the T1s but spending that much money certainly gives me pause.  The key question - will I really get out of the T1 a level of enjoyment that justifies spending that much money? Only I can decide that of course but sometimes I find others let themselves get talked into that it is justified.  Then they get in over their heads.

Personally, I am around the $500 or so range where I feel there are enough choices of headphones that I can hone in on what I really enjoy.  Above that becomes a manner of diminishing returns where I just don't find it worth - for me - to spend more.  Uh... except perhaps the T1s. 
redface.gif

Aug 22, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #23 of 51
My K701 certainly have a good quality/price ratio (more so than my HD595), but the HD800 are so much better that, at 3.4x the K701's price, I still consider they provide great value.

Now compared to speakers, I couldn't say, but my "listening room" is so acoustically poor that I feel it would be a waste for me to have quality speakers.

Aug 22, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #25 of 51

Quote:

Would you care to name some of those speakers?  I'd be interested in your opinion.

Thanks.

I have the Maggie MMG for a 600.00 speaker they are ultra revealing with super detail and you are there live feeling. I do use a sub to fill in the bass. My T1 is a 1300.00 can and comes closest to the maggies but do not have the soundstage height or depth and inner detail the Maggies have.

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #27 of 51
I'm with the consensus on this one.  I feel that 300-500 range headphone will get you 95% of the way to the big boys.

In anything audio, it's that last 5% that costs a fortune.  For some, it's worth it; others, not.

Aug 22, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #29 of 51
Somewhere around $3-400.  Higher and the law of diminishing returns hit in.

Aug 22, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #30 of 51
Quote:
People use headphones for often a special reason, not that they can't find a speaker that they like for their budget, IMO. Also, many of us HP fans also use speakers. This subject has been done to death so I should stop here.

To comment on the subject, I say $300~$400 is a nice range.

Agree. The reason we are willing to spend that much of money on headphones is due to wanting equal performance as out of speakers often.

2-400 for dynamic headphones and 955$ for the orthodynamics  I say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back