IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #1,426 of 3,340
With the gray / blue filter I get enough low and a lot of detail, it's what I'm using most of the time. I also use the pink zenith filter and it works very well.
Black, blue and red filters are too much for me.

Jan 5, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #1,427 of 3,340
I personally found blue bottom best for edm. I really dont think it has less subbass then black, just elevated midbass for that slam. Reason i say this , i found that wide bore tips affect subbass quite a bit.
CA Atlas were midbass monsters and had less sub bass, than rah blue or black. The minutes you put on sometinng like spiral dots or whirlwinds/tornados subbass on Atlas becomes quite shallow while on Rah with blue there is still plenty of subbass.

Now after good burn in and with right tips blue i think is ultimate bass filter for what i listen, which is mainly EDM.
I sometimes do listen to classic but i think cans will always do better job regardless of iems.

That said when i went through some posted non-electronic songs in here. Like jazz ect. I see why some prefer less bassy filters and i would agree that too much bass make it feel a bit unnatural.

I went back to Zeniths briefly yesterday and it just made me realize how well controlled and punchier bass is on Rah also the planar beauty makes it so much richer in mids i dont think i will miss my Zeniths anymore if i sell the today. Not that Z's are bad its just Rah are amazing leap forward in everything. I really wish Semper could do that to Rah lol.

I would like nothing better than IEMs being on equal footing with over ears. I hate hot ears with cans. With the humid climate here in Hong Kong I don't think it's well suited for over ears.
Over the past 2 years, I have seen so many changes with DD, BA, ceramics, planars, Estats etc for IEM that it's getting all too exciting. I have a buddy that I frequently get together with at lunchtimes and our conversation always moves towards IEMs v OTE.
I have to say now that I have the RAH it's added a big tick to the IEM side.

With Bob's IMR timetable laid ahead for this year, I hope this Rah group can progress to a more general IMR group. I doubt I will be able to afford trying out every model, but I'm quite keen on hearing everybody's experience and comparisons. Bob's boutique style makes it practically impossible to pop into a audio store or hifi show to try out his products.
Semper does sound like a dream headset. My feeling is a chifi with a similar setup could be released within this year too.

Jan 5, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #1,430 of 3,340
I would like nothing better than IEMs being on equal footing with over ears. I hate hot ears with cans. With the humid climate here in Hong Kong I don't think it's well suited for over ears.
Over the past 2 years, I have seen so many changes with DD, BA, ceramics, planars, Estats etc for IEM that it's getting all too exciting. I have a buddy that I frequently get together with at lunchtimes and our conversation always moves towards IEMs v OTE.
I have to say now that I have the RAH it's added a big tick to the IEM side.

With Bob's IMR timetable laid ahead for this year, I hope this Rah group can progress to a more general IMR group. I doubt I will be able to afford trying out every model, but I'm quite keen on hearing everybody's experience and comparisons. Bob's boutique style makes it practically impossible to pop into a audio store or hifi show to try out his products.
Semper does sound like a dream headset. My feeling is a chifi with a similar setup could be released within this year too.
I will always prefer iems. Cans cannot give that in your face bass. And they are horrible on the go. Which is where i listen to music most. Just was saying that cans suit some genres more.

They both have cons and pros but due to obvious physical factors they will never replace each other.

Jan 5, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #1,431 of 3,340
@Skullar Yes agreed. Before the Rah I was very much considering an over ears planar, but my interest as waned a little

Jan 5, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #1,432 of 3,340
I will always prefer iems. Cans cannot give that in your face bass. And they are horrible on the go. Which is where i listen to music most. Just was saying that cans suit some genres more.

They both have cons and pros but due to obvious physical factors they will never replace each other.

If you want cans experience then get the Rah.
If you want the IEM experience then get the Aten.

Jan 5, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #1,434 of 3,340
What a song! Sad that it’s such a hard time for Australia and the world itself right now

Nice share!
My hometown is Perth :) This band formed 1 year after my eldest daughter was born.
Lucky for Perth they have escaped the brunt of the fires.
My daughter is now in Melbourne and she was gutted when the Falls Music Festival was cancelled there as a result of the fires! These fires are horrific! It's been rather upsetting to watch.
.....Oops and Karnivool credits to @HungryPanda

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #1,435 of 3,340
The current 50% price of the Aten’s has to be the bargain of the century at the moment. According to bob the are sat just above the Red which will cost you slightly more. Yet they are so close to the Rah it’s quite scary. I don’t think I could actually say one is better than the other. Both excel at their own thing that choosing a favourite is impossible. I enjoy all my music on both equally as the other just in a slightly different way. Where as I can say they are both better than Zenith because I enjoy some of my music and some ever so slightly better than the others but I need a specific mood for the Zenith. The Rah and Aten can be used pretty much anytime for everything but the Aten are more the everyday useable and the Rah are specific mood of give me everything at full force.

Jan 5, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #1,436 of 3,340
The current 50% price of the Aten’s has to be the bargain of the century at the moment. According to bob the are sat just above the Red which will cost you slightly more. Yet they are so close to the Rah it’s quite scary. I don’t think I could actually say one is better than the other. Both excel at their own thing that choosing a favourite is impossible. I enjoy all my music on both equally as the other just in a slightly different way. Where as I can say they are both better than Zenith because I enjoy some of my music and some ever so slightly better than the others but I need a specific mood for the Zenith. The Rah and Aten can be used pretty much anytime for everything but the Aten are more the everyday useable and the Rah are specific mood of give me everything at full force.
There's a used pair of Aten on ebay for £150. I'm tempted at that price just to have a spare set.

Jan 5, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #1,438 of 3,340
I’m unsure if you’re saying to buy the used eBay pair but buying a used pair from IMR direct will save you £25
I've not looked on the IMR site since I got the RAH so I didn't realise he was selling them so cheap. I Just noticed the Aten on ebay last night when I was on looking at something for my Hifi.

Jan 5, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #1,439 of 3,340

Have to put both versions here.
The original sounds great musically
The 2010 version is great acoustic and vocal version

Jan 5, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #1,440 of 3,340
If you want cans experience then get the Rah.
If you want the IEM experience then get the Aten.

The Rah really is a can experience how it presents the music. Just like a huge 100mm+ planar driver.

But for the unique iem experience I would say go for a crossover hybrid with seperation effects like the Ej07. Not the atens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back