IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #1,456 of 3,340
Jan 5, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #1,457 of 3,340
@jon parker do you prefer R2 Red to Rah?

Its hard to say. The Rah's are technically better but the Red2's are smoother and more natural. They are both beyond superb and both offer slightly but definite differences
They both keep changing as the burn in continues as well so its hard to say 100% !
I'll write a review of the Reds when they are fully burned in. But they keep surpassing my expectations

Jan 5, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #1,458 of 3,340
A question for everyone who says they have a better fit and comfort with Rah over Aten/Zenith.

What to you makes it a better fit?

As far as I can work out you all should be getting a much deeper insertion giving you a more secure feeling if you are wearing them over ear and the cable connector is against your ear rather than hanging freely in the air.

Jan 5, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #1,459 of 3,340
I don’t know. Still upset about the treble on the rah. Don’t think I’ll be prebuying anymore without hearing impressions. I loved the aten. Let down by the rah for no treble and sound leakage

Uh oh. You are giving me buyer's remorse LOL!

Jan 5, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #1,460 of 3,340
I cannot comment on R2. I only have R1z and Rah. Zenith was a challenge because of weird stem angle but Rah is worse. You need to have ear canal angle at least 45 degree forward for it to fit, so for me it's unwearable as intended.:triportsad:. I swapped channels, attached cable(without ear-hook) because ear hook would be 90 degree away from intended direction (so stock cables are no-go). I'm going to attach some sort of rubber wing to keep it in but for now at least I made it work and sound makes it worth it still. (Yea, it looks ugly, so I spare you from pictures)
The metal housing has to go, for me to consider buying any more of IMRs. Why, WHY not use now popular resin custom-universal shape?

Jan 5, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #1,461 of 3,340
A question for everyone who says they have a better fit and comfort with Rah over Aten/Zenith.

What to you makes it a better fit?

As far as I can work out you all should be getting a much deeper insertion giving you a more secure feeling if you are wearing them over ear and the cable connector is against your ear rather than hanging freely in the air.

For me, the Rahs fits better than the Zeniths. The Zeniths always felt like they were going to fall off my ears due to the twist-able mechanism and how much it protruded, I had to use foams as silicons couldn't hold in the weight. So the Rahs definitely fit better. Of all the IEMs I have owned, the pair that fit the absolute best were Toneking T88K, they were heavier than the Rahs, but the way they were molded, they fit almost like CIEMs in my ears. Too bad they only lasted 3 weeks before a BA failed out and had to be sent back for a refund.

Jan 5, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #1,462 of 3,340
Since I changed the filters from the zenith to aten filters, fit became perfect, I was actually going for a walk today with em and couldn’t believe how good they came to be with time, those drivers changed so much, when I got them I couldn’t believe people liked them, I thought they sounded horrid... and here we are... many many many hours after

Jan 5, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #1,463 of 3,340
The metal housing has to go, for me to consider buying any more of IMRs. Why, WHY not use now popular resin custom-universal shape?
I think the metal housing is one of the signature qualities of IMR IEMs. I hate the cheap feeling of resin, especially at a three or even four digit asking price.
Also i don't see how resin would make them fit much better, its not like they will get smaller or something.

Jan 5, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #1,464 of 3,340
I’m so close to sending them back due to fit reasons. I love the sound but I’m starting to rip them out of my ears now.

I love the metal chassis too, comparing to the Zenith pretty much all the stem and shape on the back half is identical, you would say they fit in the same but the Rah will insert deeper because the 2 pin cable connector is sat further away from the ear due to the increased depth of the Rah chassis.

The increased depth is only an issue due to the tips, the actual metal of the filter is not a problem as I first thought. I made my own TWS short height style tip out of the double flange to test depth with the end of the tip sat 1mm protruding from the end of the filter, this was just borderline ok, a shorter filter would still be better. The tips didn’t seal properly though so the sound was weird.

@Skullar i believe you mentioned you were getting some TWS tips for sound purposes, how have you found them to work out if you have them and if it was you?

Anybody know of any short height tips or used Spinfit CP360?

These Aten still are mega and fit sooooo nice.

Jan 5, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #1,467 of 3,340
I think the metal housing is one of the signature qualities of IMR IEMs. I hate the cheap feeling of resin, especially at a three or even four digit asking price.
Also i don't see how resin would make them fit much better, its not like they will get smaller or something.
I agree, it's a signature and they built like a tank but my ibasso it04, Audiosense T800, Guideray GRI are larger and fit perfectly. Even something like FiiO FH7(albeit also metal) fits sooo much better. It's the angle of the stem that is the problem.

Jan 5, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #1,468 of 3,340
And BTW EE Legend X is way bigger and nobody complaints how that $2000 resin shell fits or feels cheap... (including myself)
And my Fearless Roland that has 1DD,2BA & 2EST is bigger and its resin shell feels expensive and fits perfectly.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #1,469 of 3,340
I’m so close to sending them back due to fit reasons. I love the sound but I’m starting to rip them out of my ears now.

I love the metal chassis too, comparing to the Zenith pretty much all the stem and shape on the back half is identical, you would say they fit in the same but the Rah will insert deeper because the 2 pin cable connector is sat further away from the ear due to the increased depth of the Rah chassis.

The increased depth is only an issue due to the tips, the actual metal of the filter is not a problem as I first thought. I made my own TWS short height style tip out of the double flange to test depth with the end of the tip sat 1mm protruding from the end of the filter, this was just borderline ok, a shorter filter would still be better. The tips didn’t seal properly though so the sound was weird.

@Skullar i believe you mentioned you were getting some TWS tips for sound purposes, how have you found them to work out if you have them and if it was you?

Anybody know of any short height tips or used Spinfit CP360?

These Aten still are mega and fit sooooo nice.
You should never struggle with a purchase this much. Send them back and find something that works better for you, and Bob can find a home for them where they will suit their new owner better.

Jan 5, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #1,470 of 3,340
You should never struggle with a purchase this much. Send them back and find something that works better for you, and Bob can find a home for them where they will suit their new owner better.

I agree and I’ve persisted trying to find a solution because the sound is exactly what I’m looking for. I’m still loving the Aten with 90% of the rah sound and the fit and comfort is perfect. I will be in touch with bob and see what can be done either return, save for CIEM, exchange for halcyon if shell is any different or even PBOne as that is different slightly but that’s not to say it will fit any differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back