IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #1,441 of 3,340
After 50hours i find RAH sounds sublime with Hiby R5, very good matching!

Jan 5, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #1,442 of 3,340
Hmm there's a lot to take in today. Having to pay for the Halcyon early does change things a bit for me.

Also the PBOne looks like a better but cheaper version of the Rah. Larger Planar and fully closed. If it would fix the only issue with the Rah I have - the sound leakage - would be more practical than the Rah. What am I missing here?

Will there be a PB version of the Halcyon I wonder?

Edit: Just seen the pics of the PBOne on the IMR site. It looks like a cross between the Rah & the Aten Red. It still has the vent on bottom same as the Rah which is the source of the leakage I think.

Hmm what to do. I don't need the Rah, Halcyon and PBOne that is for sure. Tempted to return or sell the Rah and get the PBOne but I absolutely love the Rah. Decisions.

I would love PBOne, RAH and Halcyon but alas don't have the funds so just Halcyon with loyalty discount for me.

On another note, I think my RAHs will finally be delivered tomorrow so I can begin the journey of obsessing over nozzles, filters and burn-in shifts in sound. Cant wait. But with the Announcement of the PBONE, my RAHS may be available. I Love Planars and going from 10mm to 12mm is very apealing to me. PM me if interested.

I am considering not too seriously

I find funny how Bob is doing this selling decisions right now, financially speaking, late December (now) and January are the worst time for selling stuff, mainly cause of holiday/ vacation expenses, me as a business owner, I’m selling all i can right now taking in consideration that sales lower next month, i own a restaurant so i know I’m on the right timing but presents and luxory services are done till February... i just think its funny, I’m on for the pb one, and I’m glad i paid the halcyon pre order but i think its too much of a risk call it “take it or leave it” in these specific dates. Before anyone says “well, i didn’t have expenses” (cause there will be some, cause we all are veeeeryyy special nowadays in the internet) I’m talking about the general public, at the end i support him holding his stance in being a small business and keep everything in an “artisanal” matter, that’s why i love the man and his work, but as someone who had to learn the hard way that a business and money ain’t things you can play around, i would love for him to take in consideration his timelines. I know i will pay for the pb one, i wish i could do it today, but its a serious expense I’m not ready for and that my hifi addiction will make me pull the trigger though responsable me is like “dude... seriously? Like you just paid 100 quids last week for his next big thing”

Reminds me of Smithers in the Malibu Stacey episode:

“But she’s got a new hat!”

Had it not been for the loyalty discount and PayPal credit I would have had to give these and the RAH's a miss.

Timing is key, January is not for me generally

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #1,443 of 3,340
Just ordered the PB One. What was appealing over the Halcyon is the cheaper price and cable down option. Also, Bob gave me a little comparison of all three and the PB sounds like the best value IMO:

The PB one will be very much like the Rah but with a slight lift in the mids and a little wider stage.

The Rah, PB ONE and Halcyon are all variations of a theme and all have similar DNA but with subtle differences. For example the Rah and One are ultra smooth, cohesive and have ultra resolution, detail and bass, the Halcyon is different and ups the detail presentation rather more.

Jan 5, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #1,444 of 3,340
Great to hear the Red is blowing you away. I didn't think it could come close to the Rah let alone possibly be better. Wow.

Totally regret not getting this as it made sense to me as a commuter version of the Aten. Was thinking this would allow me to sell the R1 and step up the rotation.

It looked an absolute bargain with pre order and loyalty discounts. Had it in my basket when I ordered the PBOne but didn't push the button. Can't get em all tho.

Keep us updated on how you are enjoying them.

Thanks for this (NOT)

I was happy on a Sunday Evening having purchased Halycon earlier, now reading your post I realise that the R2 Red are infact closed back ATEN

(Double :angry::angry: )

Guess a what I have just ordered especially for my commute

:confounded:

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #1,448 of 3,340
Thanks for this (NOT)

I was happy on a Sunday Evening having purchased Halycon earlier, now reading your post I realise that the R2 Red are infact closed back ATEN

(Double :angry::angry: )

Guess a what I have just ordered especially for my commute

:confounded:

You wont regret it - Mt RED 2's are burning in nicely and every time I listen I am more and more blown away - Last night I had THE most mystical 3D holographic experience with them
To clarify - They are specially tuned for the closed back design - The are not closed back Aten... better maybe?
I bought mine thinking about a commute listen...which they are perfect for but they are becoming way more than that. I just cant believe the quality of . . . well everything with them. Incredible IEMS

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #1,449 of 3,340
While i have not heard TOTL ba iems. All the mid-fis i have heard sound too artificial and forced sounding to me. And im not talking about bass here. DD sound a lot more natural in all FR personally. And then comes bass where there is nothing to compare as far as i am concerned.

That said though. I would love to own Legend X which hopefully would show better side of ba while having DDs to sort out bass. I would actually like to see a comparison between Rah and Legends
I'm making a reply month late at the risk of it being moot, but if it helps to prevent pain I went through, it will be worth it.
So may I advise to listen to LX first. LX is extreme Basshead iem. It failed to do for me what it was reputed for - which is large sound stage and separation, that is subjective and depends on hearing and ear canal fit apparently. Rah succeeded there. Rah has, dare I say it, BETTER bass than LX!
IMR promise was massive soundstage and it was delivered. More importantly, large soundstage and good positioning allow Rah bass to stay separated because each vocal and instrument sound concentrated on specific location and able to stay above bass that is diffused across wide space.(I hope I'm making sense here)
So on LX, besides low bass elevation (over sub bass), the positioning was not separating bass either. It resulted in LX bass smothering everything else way to often. Also I like planar-Piezo treble better than BA

Jan 5, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #1,450 of 3,340
I'm making a reply month late at the risk of it being moot, but if it helps to prevent pain I went through, it will be worth it.
So may I advise to listen to LX first. LX is extreme Basshead iem. It failed to do for me what it was reputed for - which is large sound stage and separation, that is subjective and depends on hearing and ear canal fit apparently. Rah succeeded there. Rah has, dare I say it, BETTER bass than LX!
IMR promise was massive soundstage and it was delivered. More importantly, large soundstage and good positioning allow Rah bass to stay separated because each vocal and instrument sound concentrated on specific location and able to stay above bass that is diffused across wide space.(I hope I'm making sense here)
So on LX, besides low bass elevation (over sub bass), the positioning was not separating bass either. It resulted in LX bass smothering everything else way to often. Also I like planar-Piezo treble better than BA
I would like to hear LX but i agree with you on soundstage. It is big one for me too. So it could be a game changer. Besides i would not spend that much money now.

Jan 5, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #1,453 of 3,340
I don’t know. Still upset about the treble on the rah. Don’t think I’ll be prebuying anymore without hearing impressions. I loved the aten. Let down by the rah for no treble and sound leakage

Did you try whirlwind tips with the Rah? These really open the mids and treble and reduce bass to the point of using blue or black Bass filters and getting a lovely balanced sound.

Jan 5, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #1,454 of 3,340
Did you try whirlwind tips with the Rah? These really open the mids and treble and reduce bass to the point of using blue or black Bass filters and getting a lovely balanced sound.
Thats exactly what i think about them been using whirlwinds for a while now.

Also received my dx220 and am really impressed with initial listening. Will do a proper a/b with wm1a tomorrow

Jan 5, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #1,455 of 3,340

Users who are viewing this thread

Back