IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #1,412 of 3,340
Hats off to those of you using black or blue lower. I am using red and even then the bass rattles my head.
I listened with Grey/Blue most of the day and once brain tricks disappeared I was pretty imtrssed with the grunt in them even though it was scaled back from Black. I've just switched up to Blue/Blue and I think I like it. Ive the amp on low gain and the EQ flat

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #1,413 of 3,340
I listened with Grey/Blue most of the day and once brain tricks disappeared I was pretty imtrssed with the grunt in them even though it was scaled back from Black. I've just switched up to Blue/Blue and I think I like it. Ive the amp on low gain and the EQ flat

Snap. But I switched back to black. I’ve always said this about all IMR, most end up back at black. There’s just a certain ambience that the other nozzles lack and they actually then become about the bass rather than the bass under pinning the whole music but granted it is elevated beyond a typical traditional stereotypical audiophile flat flat flat because reasons.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #1,414 of 3,340
@Skullar I'm using Dx160 so I can not switch amps. I too was interested in the Cayin, although when I went to see, it was so much bulkier in real life than what I saw in the photos. I'm keen on portability too and I find the dx160 fits perfectly in the back pocket of my jeans

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #1,415 of 3,340
@Skullar I'm using Dx160 so I can not switch amps. I too was interested in the Cayin, although when I went to see, it was so much bulkier in real life than what I saw in the photos. I'm keen on portability too and I find the dx160 fits perfectly in the back pocket of my jeans
Well dx220 seems to be portable. And is lighter then wm1a so it should be an improvement even. And that is 1 major tick for me.
The biggest however is sound. What i mainly hope for is even bigger deeper soundstage and seperation. As i think that is the main selling point of high end daps over mid range.

Cant wait for tomorrow.

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #1,416 of 3,340
Well dx220 seems to be portable. And is lighter then wm1a so it should be an improvement even. And that is 1 major tick for me.
The biggest however is sound. What i mainly hope for is even bigger deeper soundstage and seperation. As i think that is the main selling point of high end daps over mid range.

Cant wait for tomorrow.
Compared to many others the Dx220 is quite a compact size

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #1,417 of 3,340
The biggest however is sound. What i mainly hope for is even bigger deeper soundstage and seperation. As i think that is the main selling point of high end daps over mid range. Cant wait for tomorrow.
I've read quite a few posts comparing the Shanling M6 as very similar to the Cayin N6ii /A01. And I've been super happy with my M5s. Was going to upgrade but figure I'll just wait until the battery starts degrading and then there will be a whole new crop of competitors. Anyway, if you're looking, reviews on the M6 have bee favorable.

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #1,418 of 3,340
I've read quite a few posts comparing the Shanling M6 as very similar to the Cayin N6ii /A01. And I've been super happy with my M5s. Was going to upgrade but figure I'll just wait until the battery starts degrading and then there will be a whole new crop of competitors. Anyway, if you're looking, reviews on the M6 have bee favorable.
From what i read m5 and m6 are quite different signature.
M6 in EU just became available to preorder so will be awhile before we get it. I just dont think it would bring anything to beat wm1a soundwise.

Where dz220 seems to be keeping up wtih totl daps and is also modular.

But then we all hear differently and there is only one way to find out...

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #1,419 of 3,340
Hats off to those of you using black or blue lower. I am using red and even then the bass rattles my head.

The nice thing about the black is it let's you have sub-bass, it is not only the rumbling bass.

Jan 4, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #1,420 of 3,340
I tried black/blue yesterday. It's warm and engulfing. I do find it does still keeps mid and upper detail.

Strange thing is I wasn't able to listen for as long as I have been with grey base/ black top. I don't think black/blue is hard to listen to. Perhaps it's lulling me to sleepiness, not sure exactly.

I don't understand the gold base at all. Just doesn't sound right. Bass seems short and abrupt to me. I don't mind the red base, but it seems to narrow the sound stage for me.

With the grey/black option I'm getting a great sound stage and I think bass is still great. Blue top has a nice, brighter upper end, but with the black top it gives me a more pleasing layered sound.

Jan 5, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #1,421 of 3,340
the grey/black option I'm getting a great sound stage and I think bass is still great. Blue top has a nice, brighter upper end, but with the black top it gives me a more pleasing layered sound.
Ill give this combo a try tomorrow and cross compare it to Grey / blue also. Thanks for the insight

Jan 5, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #1,422 of 3,340
Here's a trip,

Just shut your eyes and lay back

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #1,423 of 3,340
Ill give this combo a try tomorrow and cross compare it to Grey / blue also. Thanks for the insight

Meanwhile I'm gonna try grey/purple and see if it does anything for me :)

Jan 5, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #1,425 of 3,340
I tried black/blue yesterday. It's warm and engulfing. I do find it does still keeps mid and upper detail.

Strange thing is I wasn't able to listen for as long as I have been with grey base/ black top. I don't think black/blue is hard to listen to. Perhaps it's lulling me to sleepiness, not sure exactly.

I don't understand the gold base at all. Just doesn't sound right. Bass seems short and abrupt to me. I don't mind the red base, but it seems to narrow the sound stage for me.

With the grey/black option I'm getting a great sound stage and I think bass is still great. Blue top has a nice, brighter upper end, but with the black top it gives me a more pleasing layered sound.
I personally found blue bottom best for edm. I really dont think it has less subbass then black, just elevated midbass for that slam. Reason i say this , i found that wide bore tips affect subbass quite a bit.
CA Atlas were midbass monsters and had less sub bass, than rah blue or black. The minutes you put on sometinng like spiral dots or whirlwinds/tornados subbass on Atlas becomes quite shallow while on Rah with blue there is still plenty of subbass.

Now after good burn in and with right tips blue i think is ultimate bass filter for what i listen, which is mainly EDM.
I sometimes do listen to classic but i think cans will always do better job regardless of iems.

That said when i went through some posted non-electronic songs in here. Like jazz ect. I see why some prefer less bassy filters and i would agree that too much bass make it feel a bit unnatural.

I went back to Zeniths briefly yesterday and it just made me realize how well controlled and punchier bass is on Rah also the planar beauty makes it so much richer in mids i dont think i will miss my Zeniths anymore if i sell the today. Not that Z's are bad its just Rah are amazing leap forward in everything. I really wish Semper could do that to Rah lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back