IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #1,051 of 3,340
Pink/pink for me, I love the forwardness of the mids couldn't be happier, well unless 64 audio decides to mark the u12t's down half price .

Dec 30, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #1,052 of 3,340
20191230_132850.jpg Running the Rah through the new Sony Tape deck, ZX-NW 507 and it sounds great :)
It's a nice compact, slender beast. 2/3 the width of my Dx160. Powers with 4.4mm balance quite well considering the size of this thing. Gets warm quite quickly.

Dec 30, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #1,054 of 3,340
very nice, is that the Japanese version without volume cap?
Hmm not sure. Only released here on the 27th, so I went to the Sony store to try it out. The rating I read was 200mW @ 16Ω in 4.4mm balance

Dec 30, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #1,055 of 3,340
Gone for a change this morning. Gone for a walk with a qp2r and zenith. Bass pounding!

Dec 30, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #1,057 of 3,340
Hmm not sure. Only released here on the 27th, so I went to the Sony store to try it out. The rating I read was 200mW @ 16Ω in 4.4mm balance
I dont think sony removed the cap. But the cap is only on EU models i think.
Though my wm1a is uk model i bought it already uncapped. But the original owner said cap is too significant to live with.
And as long as UK is in EU they will have to cap it.

Dec 30, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #1,058 of 3,340
Has everyone seen Bob's email with regards to the Halcyon personally think the removal of the £100 deposit is a bad idea just after Christmas where people have potentially spent a significant amouny of money. The ability to spread the payment into two chunks seems far better than now having to drop £350 in January and after the hype of the Rahs (which I love). I really like Bob's engineering and his customer services has been unbelievable however I would say he seems a bit impulsive at times.

Still in two minds about getting the Halcyon's. I hear so many mixed things about Estat drivers in higher end IEMs including the Fearless and even Shuoers EJ07. I personally own 2 pairs of Tapes and think they sound incredibly detailed with excellent Bass (was under the belief it was pure Estat which I found strange since the bass slam was particularly good, I think this due to many reviewers including Z and Bad Guy incorrectly stating this) so with the halcyon utilising the peizo driver which will have Bob's signature bass energy and then the Estat bringing the detail it could be even superior to the Semper. The Rahs are great I just get the feeling I may prefer Estat and peizo

Dec 30, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #1,059 of 3,340
Has everyone seen Bob's email with regards to the Halcyon personally think the removal of the £100 deposit is a bad idea just after Christmas where people have potentially spent a significant amouny of money. The ability to spread the payment into two chunks seems far better than now having to drop £350 in January and after the hype of the Rahs (which I love). I really like Bob's engineering and his customer services has been unbelievable however I would say he seems a bit impulsive at times.

Still in two minds about getting the Halcyon's. I hear so many mixed things about Estat drivers in higher end IEMs including the Fearless and even Shuoers EJ07. I personally own 2 pairs of Tapes and think they sound incredibly detailed with excellent Bass (was under the belief it was pure Estat which I found strange since the bass slam was particularly good, I think this due to many reviewers including Z and Bad Guy incorrectly stating this) so with the halcyon utilising the peizo driver which will have Bob's signature bass energy and then the Estat bringing the detail it could be even superior to the Semper. The Rahs are great I just get the feeling I may prefer Estat and peizo

Surely it would be the Beryllium DD that you like that gives the bass that you like.

Curious as to your thoughts as to why you think the halcyon may be superior to semper. Semper is halcyon with planar.

Dec 30, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #1,060 of 3,340
Surely it would be the Beryllium DD that you like that gives the bass that you like.

Curious as to your thoughts as to why you think the halcyon may be superior to semper. Semper is halcyon with planar.
You are totally correct I meant the Beryllium.

With regards to the Halcyon over Semper I just have the feeling it could be over complicating it by adding the planar. We've seen that complication doesn't necessarily make a better sounding product. This and the significantly more expensive product makes me think the value proposition might by Halcyon. I have little to back this up but I'm just trying to justify not spending even more money later in the year. Please just tell me it's true

Dec 30, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #1,061 of 3,340

I remember that the R1 could buy it in comfortable installments of 6 months, not all pockets are large and that came to me great, it would be good if Bob gave that option again. I would definitely buy it.
on the other hand, after 40/50 hours the Rah improves at times, I love it... although I have a problem with the gold filters, they ruin the sound completely ... I think they are defective, all the others are fine.
I will try them tomorrow with more time but surely I have to get in touch with Bob to send me a replacement.

Dec 30, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #1,062 of 3,340

With regards to the Halcyon over Semper I just have the feeling it could be over complicating it by adding the planar. We've seen that complication doesn't necessarily make a better sounding product. This and the significantly more expensive product makes me think the value proposition might by Halcyon. I have little to back this up but I'm just trying to justify not spending even more money later in the year. Please just tell me it's true

It is true.

The thing which makes IMR so good is the performance to price ratio, they are truly outstanding and at the price most pay it’s easy to accept the small flaws they have. There are no perfect things in audio, everything has its pros and cons. I can accept reaching 95% of my perfection ideal to save big on the money spend. That 5% is not worth the X% increase in cost.

Dec 30, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #1,063 of 3,340

I was thinking about the Halcyon, but now the full price(not just deposit) is required, it’s not possible at this time of year as mentioned.

Dec 30, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #1,064 of 3,340
The gold are reknowned to not be a good
I remember that the R1 could buy it in comfortable installments of 6 months, not all pockets are large and that came to me great, it would be good if Bob gave that option again. I would definitely buy it.
on the other hand, after 40/50 hours the Rah improves at times, I love it... although I have a problem with the gold filters, they ruin the sound completely ... I think they are defective, all the others are fine.
I will try them tomorrow with more time but surely I have to get in touch with Bob to send me a replacement.

You’re probably reaching the burn in hours time where they take a severe nose dive in sound quality before they become good again and also the gold isn’t a good choice which scoops out random parts of the frequency spectrum

Dec 30, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #1,065 of 3,340
I was thinking about the Halcyon, but now the full price(not just deposit) is required, it’s not possible at this time of year as mentioned.

I was split 50/50 and the deposit made it possible if I did persue but not it is impossible and I’m sure more will be made.

I honestly believe all models should be available at a great price to performance ratio and to not do the whole exclusive thing. People just want a great sound in a great package with great customer service at a great price. All those boxes are checked already and the fluff surrounding them doesn’t need to be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back