IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #1,036 of 3,340
It's more to do with extension - a 10mm planar driver just doesn't generate the extension into the lower bass to provide even a passably neutral signature, which is pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum to the sort of tuning Job had been shooting for to date with IMR.

Guess that's why the Audeze, Unique Melody and Monoprice in-ear planars all have substantially bigger (30mm) drivers?

In the thoughts I have of how I imagine these small planars and electrostats would sound on their own I come to the conclusion without hearing any of them they would be as you describe. Yet when I hear ripple speak of Shuoer Tape and Tin P1 they speak of great extension and a full frequency spectrum. Hence whilst I don’t think either can that there may have been a possibility that both together would fill in each other’s missing pieces to appease the neutral crowd which I’m not in, I’m not a basshead but I sit firmly in the bob tuning.

Dec 29, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #1,037 of 3,340
I've not had a chance to try the Aten. Is it a very open IEM in terms is sound leakage?
Well this time I am in total disagreement with @EWASS
The Aten leak reasonably, they’re audible but quite subdued. The Rah, on the other hand, leak so much... that I’m sadly returning them. Much louder, and that unpleasant type of leakage that you get with cheap earbuds. Voices, guitars, drums, all of it aggressive, shrill, tinny. Walking by people in the street is fine, but just sticking around in a shop close to other people is a no-go. Bus, subway? Impossible. In bed next to your partner? You’ll get murdered :grin:
I can’t keep them just for ten minutes a week.

It’s a bummer as the Rah are very impressive. As others have said, IMR is definitely bursting on the turf of 4-figure iems by big-name brands technically, while offering exceptional engagement. The timbres are so natural, everything sounds more realistic than on the Aten, resolution is superior. Treble peaks are handled expertly with accuracy and detail, and nary a hint of sibilance. Bass is better textured and more dynamic than on the Aten, but less full and I’d say a little less satisfying, on black/black.

It made me check back the R3 Halcyon newsletter, which I’d set aside. I remembered that outward-facing port and thought it must leak like crazy; but I’d forgotten about the fact it can actually be open, or closed, or “damped” whatever that means. Like a more advanced version of the R1’s open/close system. Now I’m stoked about these :laughing: asked Bob for more info and if I should rather wait for the Phase.

Dec 29, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #1,038 of 3,340
@monsieurfromag3 my comment was based on when the Rah were new someone asked do they leak and I did a rudimentary test against the Aten and at that time the Rah were has as leaky. I wonder if after break in they have become a lot louder to the outside world.

The halcyon may well be a good choice for the rear port. Closed, open or half way between is damped. If Rah are everything you wish for in audio and are comfortable then halcyon should be a good choice I think. Apparently a side grade rather than upgrade.
Today/tomorrow is the private build release, do you have any earlier insider info.

I’m actually listening to my Zenith as we speak and using them closed. They are still so good even after Aten and Rah. They all bring something to the table that the others can’t and in my mind are all worth keeping. Actually saying that has just made my seriously gutted, I want the upcoming R3 series next year and a private build potentially sounds like a good idea and I don’t think I can get myself half of them and possibly only 1. I bought the Zenith as B stock, because bob is a stand out guy I bought the Aten as second hand used and the Rah at a fantastic new price and is the only reason I am able to own all 3. With prices continually increasing my chances decrease significantly. If everything was sold at the Rah price I could probably afford all of them next year but that is still a struggle.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #1,040 of 3,340
Dec 29, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #1,042 of 3,340
This will be an incredibly unpopular opinion and create possible dissonance in you the reader.

The Zenith in comparison to Aten and Rah have the best height in the stage and are the most comfortable to wear.

My wish list would be Rah sound with Zenith height and comfort with Aten looks because classy and physical size with halcyon rear port and what I believe will be far greater depth in the stage from halcyon with some random bob idea thrown in because reasons at used prices maybe stretch to the Rah cost at pre release.

Dec 29, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #1,043 of 3,340
I’m actually listening to my Zenith as we speak and using them closed. They are still so good even after Aten and Rah. They all bring something to the table that the others can’t and in my mind are all worth keeping. Actually saying that has just made my seriously gutted, I want the upcoming R3 series next year and a private build potentially sounds like a good idea and I don’t think I can get myself half of them and possibly only 1. I bought the Zenith as B stock, because bob is a stand out guy I bought the Aten as second hand used and the Rah at a fantastic new price and is the only reason I am able to own all 3. With prices continually increasing my chances decrease significantly. If everything was sold at the Rah price I could probably afford all of them next year but that is still a struggle.
Just listened to the same tracks on all my 4 IMR's. It's such an incredible journey. The only thing that is consistent is the incredible bass on all of them.

The OG R1s feel like a prototype to the lineup. Raw uncontrolled bass with the black filters, rather wide but extremely flat Soundstage.

Zeniths are similar, but more refined in every way. Most typical 'bass in your face' sound (also most industrial IMR look), incredible slam. Better Soundstage, although it is still a bit pancakey.

Atens introduce the great open Soundstage to the lineup. Overall less punch, but they do have the most sub-bass, while mostly keeping the lower frequencies from bleeding into the mids.

RAH's are just so much better tho, especially in direct comparison. While being overall less bass heavy than say the R2s, they combine the best characteristics of the previous models and add the sweet sweet planar sound.

Sadly, like you already said, most people including me won't be able to afford all upcoming models. Kind of sad to put my IMR journey on hold, but on the other hand I am incredibly happy with the RAHs.
Just gotta make sure I save enough for the Semper, I really don't want to miss the magical Berylium-Ceramic-Planar-Electrostatic monstrosity Bob will unleash :ksc75smile:
Phase does sound interesting too... loads of super clean IMR bass, just like I love it. No planar or Electrostat tho, so not sure if I would be happy with it...

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #1,044 of 3,340
I concur fully with all your comparisons.

Just gotta make sure I save enough for the Semper, I really don't want to miss the magical Berylium-Ceramic-Planar-Electrostatic monstrosity Bob will unleash :ksc75smile:
Phase does sound interesting too... loads of super clean IMR bass, just like I love it. No planar or Electrostat tho, so not sure if I would be happy with it...

And this last paragraph is exactly how my thoughts go.

Defo semper.
But hmmm phase I think is a potential dark horse so need but Rah vs Aten planar or not to planar or electrostat the phase will it be missed but still have semper so it doesn’t matter so yeah phase but need semper money.
Halcyon well I have Rah sooooo kinda don’t need halcyon just want it.
Personal build well fork me now bob!!!!

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #1,046 of 3,340
I have the zenith, aten, and rah. I just don’t feel blown away by the rah. Where is the treble? Love the bass and the miss are fine, but no energy up top.

You put the blue filter on, try reducing the bass on the lower nozzle and then turn your volume up.

Or try how I have mine. Remove the upper filter and don’t install any. Fit the black bass nozzle then fit large foam absolutely fully onto the bass nozzle.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #1,047 of 3,340
In the thoughts I have of how I imagine these small planars and electrostats would sound on their own I come to the conclusion without hearing any of them they would be as you describe. Yet when I hear ripple speak of Shuoer Tape and Tin P1 they speak of great extension and a full frequency spectrum. Hence whilst I don’t think either can that there may have been a possibility that both together would fill in each other’s missing pieces to appease the neutral crowd which I’m not in, I’m not a basshead but I sit firmly in the bob tuning.

The Tin Hifi P1 does extend, but needs my E1da Pdv2 EQing it.

The Shuoer Tape I believe is a hybrid. I don't think the bass is from the main driver.

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #1,049 of 3,340
I have the zenith, aten, and rah. I just don’t feel blown away by the rah. Where is the treble? Love the bass and the miss are fine, but no energy up top.
Did you try all the supplied upper filters? Blue lets the highs extend the most, since there is no filter material inside.

But anyways, I feel like treble is highly genre specific. For me the RAHs treble (and everything else) is perfect for electronic music, which i listen to most of the time.
Now especially for instrumental Jazz, which I learn to enjoy more and more, I much prefer the Zeniths. Much more energy and imo this genre also benefits from a more intimate soundstage.

Dec 29, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #1,050 of 3,340
The Tin Hifi P1 does extend, but needs my E1da Pdv2 EQing it.

I got the Rah largely as a result of the P1. I also find the P1 works beautifully with the E1DA, but they do miss out on certain bass rumbles and thumps when I'm sometimes expecting them. I like how I'm able to adjust the bass filters to just how I like it with the IMR stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back