IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #1,023 of 3,340
I for one would like to see the validation which has been laid to this claim of Fort Knox style security that not even a bungee can penetrate :p

Your implementation is as weird as mine for fitting though but yours does look like my idea of hell as it’s really stiff and intrusive appearing. I usually cut off the ear guides which come with cables when they are heat shrinked onto the cable, this is mainly on braided cables. On the supplied IMR cable I don’t mind the form as the cable over each ear is singular. I’m super happy you find your own comfort though, nothing worse than uncomfortable music sessions.

I hate loose cables, memory wire, and premolded wire but with where this positions everything with this set up its like it keeps it right where it should be and nothing pulls which is why I really don't like any of the other setups (with this iem).

Dec 29, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #1,026 of 3,340
Am I crazy? I don’t have blue filters. I have green, red, purple, black.

You should have 8 lower bass nozzles

6 upper treble filters
18BF1F11-8249-4F71-A18C-B889968E0CC0.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #1,033 of 3,340
Has anyone had a thought about what an IMR IEM would be like if it has planar & electrostats only as a hybrid?

I currently have Bob's prototype planar-only IEM, which he sent me to listen to along with my Rah. Bob isn't proceeding with a planar only model, as in his words you can't get decent bass from a planar driver that small without obscene amounts of power. Having listened to them, I can confirm that - you can hear the basis for the Rah's midrange, but the rest of the frequency ranges aren't at the same level as the Rah so I don't think estats will solve it on their own.

Interestingly, the guys from oBravo have a similar opinion on the capabilities of a small-diameter planar driver, which is why all their planar IEMs have a dynamic driver covering the bass.

Dec 29, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #1,034 of 3,340
I currently have Bob's prototype planar-only IEM, which he sent me to listen to along with my Rah. Bob isn't proceeding with a planar only model, as in his words you can't get decent bass from a planar driver that small without obscene amounts of power. Having listened to them, I can confirm that - you can hear the basis for the Rah's midrange, but the rest of the frequency ranges aren't at the same level as the Rah so I don't think estats will solve it on their own.

Interestingly, the guys from oBravo have a similar opinion on the capabilities of a small-diameter planar driver, which is why all their planar IEMs have a dynamic driver covering the bass.

I’ve no issue with insane amounts of power it’s actually a preference lol.

My presumption was an electrostat may help the planar along but probably both together would yield a more traditional audiophile approach. Don’t get me wrong though, I’m all for the DD and again is a preference.

How about doubling up on planars and an electrostat?

Dec 29, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #1,035 of 3,340
I’ve no issue with insane amounts of power it’s actually a preference lol.

My presumption was an electrostat may help the planar along but probably both together would yield a more traditional audiophile approach. Don’t get me wrong though, I’m all for the DD and again is a preference.

How about doubling up on planars and an electrostat?

It's more to do with extension - a 10mm planar driver just doesn't generate the extension into the lower bass to provide even a passably neutral signature, which is pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum to the sort of tuning Job had been shooting for to date with IMR.

Guess that's why the Audeze, Unique Melody and Monoprice in-ear planars all have substantially bigger (30mm) drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back