IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #61 of 3,340
I really don't understand Bob's business philosophy with this IEM. If I read right, this is a "one and done" production. So, come November or December when people start getting these, and assuming they turn out to be wonderful, the only way to get it will be used because they will "never" be made again. Why not leave open the possibility for future production runs? Am I missing something?

r42qmbt7sol21.jpg

I interpreted it that there would be yearly batches. Not that it would be exclusive to this pre-order that passed.

Though that means each batch would probably have some unavoidable discrepancies.

My reasoning is this post that may or may not hold anymore.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #62 of 3,340
r42qmbt7sol21.jpg

I interpreted it that there would be yearly batches. Not that it would be exclusive to this pre-order that passed.

Though that means each batch would probably have some unavoidable discrepancies.

My reasoning is this post that may or may not hold anymore.

The Elan never came off as he asked for feedback and it seems it wasn't great second the Rah doesn't cost £1000 so I would probably discount most what was said in this email as it seems his plans have changed significantly.

Even if you did have batches made annually that wouldn't be the main determiner of variance. The main culprit would be the difficulty in producing a product. Take something as complicated as a cpus variance can be pretty high for top of the line cpu yields can be as low as 50%, so even within the same production run you could have noticeable variance.

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #63 of 3,340
The Elan never came off as he asked for feedback and it seems it wasn't great second the Rah doesn't cost £1000 so I would probably discount most what was said in this email as it seems his plans have changed significantly.

Even if you did have batches made annually that wouldn't be the main determiner of variance. The main culprit would be the difficulty in producing a product. Take something as complicated as a cpus variance can be pretty high for top of the line cpu yields can be as low as 50%, so even within the same production run you could have noticeable variance.
I know I read somewhere that the RAH would be a one time production. I think it was in one of the emails or maybe the website. Can't find it now for some reason.

Sep 16, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #64 of 3,340
Yeah, the official product page does make it sound like it is a limited run.

If I had not seen the old post I shown above, I would definitely interpret it as a single and the only batch.

Sep 16, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #65 of 3,340
Yeah, the official product page does make it sound like it is a limited run.

If I had not seen the old post I shown above, I would definitely interpret it as a single and the only batch.

From Bob's Sept 11 email...

"I have been asked by a couple of people who committed if they can buy after production and the answer is no. These will be made just for those that pre ordered. If you committed and somehow missed the pre order sale then contact me via email inf@imracoustics.com and we can sort something out if you contact me before the 16th September 2019, after that I cannot help further. IF anyone else from the committal list purchases during that time I will update the total numbers on the 17th September 2019, if there is no change the numbers above will stand and that will be the total and no numbers update will be required."

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #67 of 3,340
The more I read the more questions I have.... This is a real big leap of faith....

What type of crossover is used, if any?
How did they make the planar driver so sensitive to be 32 ohms at 103db/mw?
It's this a completely open design (damping on a planar IEM is hard)?
What exactly are the duties/FR of the drivers?

Direct from Bob in response to an email from me a month ago:

"The DD diaphragm is 15mm and the piezo is 9mm from corner to corner (diagonally ), the planar is 10mm. All of them run in tandem the same as the dd and piezo do in the Zenith and Aten models but due to the natural nature of decay the piezo doesn’t operate in the lower frequencies and the planar just adds a nice in-fill of detail in the lower frequencies and in the mid to upper registers they do what they do best so a cross over is not required. In fact with a cross over there would be a strange transient change in sound and its better (with the right tuning of course) to use its natural decay."

I really can't wait for these. I'm always hopeful and ever enthusiastic but with these I'm genuinely excited!

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #68 of 3,340
Honestly, that wording sounds like how gaming multidriver surround headphones are described.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #69 of 3,340
Honestly, that wording sounds like how gaming multidriver surround headphones are described.
Are you sure? Can you provide an example?

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #70 of 3,340
Either way, they proved that it works with the Zenith. Hopefully adding 1 more driver complication doesn't interrupt things.

Sep 22, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #72 of 3,340
I can't imagine how this song will be heard with Rah... with Zenith the detail and textures are incredible...

Sep 25, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #75 of 3,340
Hello Everyone, I was updated by BOB the existing status of RAH.... But, I shall wait to disclose it until he reaches everyone in his own words.. I write this to keep on the momentum...
I need to keep myself occupied on other things or I know I will be hitting the refresh button on a regular basis as the time approaches (including locking my wallet away to avoid "Retail Therapy")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back