IMR - R1 Thread
Sep 5, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #3,033 of 3,190
Sep 10, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #3,035 of 3,190
It seems massdrop is now selling the R1 Zenith @ $275 USD which is a superb price IMO.

I like the customizable filters options. Thinking of getting one (have to find the cash somewhere LOL), but is the R2 a big upgrade over it?

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #3,036 of 3,190
It seems massdrop is now selling the R1 Zenith @ $275 USD which is a superb price IMO.

I like the customizable filters options. Thinking of getting one (have to find the cash somewhere LOL), but is the R2 a big upgrade over it?
I've got a brand new R1 Zenith I'd sell it for $265 incl PayPal and US shipping. My listing is on eBay if you want to check it it out

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #3,037 of 3,190
I've got a brand new R1 Zenith I'd sell it for $265 incl PayPal and US shipping. My listing is on eBay if you want to check it it out

Hi thanks for the offer but I live in Asia, so I think with shipping, paypal fees and taxes/customs fees it might be much more expensive.
But I wish u good luck with the sale, I think it is a popular IEM and would be easy to sell! If i have friends living in US who are looking for one, I'll let them know too.

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #3,038 of 3,190
Hi thanks for the offer but I live in Asia, so I think with shipping, paypal fees and taxes/customs fees it might be much more expensive.
But I wish u good luck with the sale, I think it is a popular IEM and would be easy to sell! If i have friends living in US who are looking for one, I'll let them know too.

Would you not incur customs fees if you were to buy from Massdrop? We have quit doing that because each time we have been hit with 20% tax plus handling fees from DHL or Royal Mail... added to anything valued at over £15....which by now is probably about $0.50.

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #3,039 of 3,190
Would you not incur customs fees if you were to buy from Massdrop? We have quit doing that because each time we have been hit with 20% tax plus handling fees from DHL or Royal Mail... added to anything valued at over £15....which by now is probably about $0.50.

Wow is the UK custom tax rate so high?!!
I think for my country the custom fees isn't so painful for purchases < $300 USD.

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #3,040 of 3,190
I think for my country the custom fees isn't so painful for purchases < $300 USD.
I've stopped using Massdrop in the UK - it's 20% VAT on the product price plus shipping sometimes you have duty of 10-15% as well and then I believe 20% VAT on the duty. Plus a £12 Parcelforce "processing " fee. ridiculous.

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #3,041 of 3,190

20% is the tax rate that we pay here on everything we buy.. .except things like food. If we import anything (except from the EU) that tax is taken.

Sep 10, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #3,042 of 3,190

I don't own the R2 but the R1 and R1Z and love them to bits. Re. the R2 vs. the R1(Z) some folks have posted some comparative notes but as so often it gets a little contradictive here and there (microdetails etc...). Now if I'd have to start nitpicking about my two sets I'd mention the relative lack of perceived depth in their spatial rendering, something some other folks have mentioned as well and the less than stellar cables but this latter issue can be taken care of pretty easily these days. Other than that those puppies deliver some serious, no-nonsense bang for the buck sonically IMO, even more so if you snatch up some B-stock from imracoustics.com.
PS: Dunno if Bob reads this but hey ... give us a single DD IMR, Bob (and the CA Atlas a run for the money) - I'd get a set without thinking twice.

Sep 10, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #3,043 of 3,190
20% is the tax rate that we pay here on everything we buy.. .except things like food. If we import anything (except from the EU) that tax is taken.

No VAT or import duties on books. :wink:

Sep 10, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #3,044 of 3,190
No VAT or import duties on books. :wink:

I know... I think anything to do with music should also be exempt because it is as important as books!

Sep 10, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #3,045 of 3,190

It is at least a small upgrade in every way.
Stage, seperation, macro details and especially the cable are much better.
Things like clarity, bass texture and reach, mid presence, harshness and fit also improved quite a bit.

Micro Details improved a tad as well, but if that's your thing the R2 is not worth the upgrade and you should look into different IEM's (planar ones like the Cupid, for example).

For me the R2 is the ultimate IEM for every track that wants a lot of bass (quantity and quality wise). They do sound like full sized woofers in some tracks, much more than the Zeniths. Hell, even Hard Style sounds great with those. Although that genre is clearly not suitable for everyones taste...

Things i like more about the Zeniths are male voices in most tracks and the 'direct' feeling of some lower frequencies.
Female voices are clearly better with the Aten, much less harsh, more clear and better seperated from the lower end.

Hope that helps with your decision, Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back