IMR - R1 Thread
May 23, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #2,734 of 3,190
Thats the only reason i didn't order the Zeniths.
For what it is worth... I understand the objection of having to wait for something. But here is a framework to think about such things... just a suggestion... use it, or laugh it off, your choice!

Is a wait worth it? Two things to consider...

1. Opportunity cost - do you need the money now for something else and don’t want to tie it up (if prepayment is required)?

2. Long term vs short term... wait x months for something and enjoy it for y months/years... 2 months sounds like a long time. But after enjoying the Zenith for 6 months or more, the 2 months are probably inconsequential. Of course, if you expect the item to be obsolete soon, then waiting is not a great idea :)

May 23, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #2,735 of 3,190
For what it is worth... I understand the objection of having to wait for something. But here is a framework to think about such things... just a suggestion... use it, or laugh it off, your choice!

Is a wait worth it? Two things to consider...

1. Opportunity cost - do you need the money now for something else and don’t want to tie it up (if prepayment is required)?

2. Long term vs short term... wait x months for something and enjoy it for y months/years... 2 months sounds like a long time. But after enjoying the Zenith for 6 months or more, the 2 months are probably inconsequential. Of course, if you expect the item to be obsolete soon, then waiting is not a great idea :)

I agree with your post. I already had the R1's and i know people have said that it was a step up, so the 2 month wait was only half the reason lol. I am still interested in the Aten's though.

May 23, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #2,738 of 3,190
Just tried an aftermarket cable on my Zeniths and I’m not sure, but my right iem May be out of phase?

May 24, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #2,741 of 3,190
Got my R1 Zenith (used) and impressed with the packaging and look/quality of the IEM and initial sound test, however couple questions:
-Still haven't played with the different colored filters, using the default black for now and really wow'ed by the bass. I can visually see the difference between the different filters however, the blue one compared to the black one they're identical on my set. I inspected them carefully and couldn't find a single thing different. Not a big deal but if they're like this for everyone I just find it odd especially since the write up makes it seem like there's a difference between all the colors.

-The turning knob on the exterior (gold color), I really hope there is a point to this thing as either it's VERY subtle having the port open vs closed or my used set has something wrong with it or the different colored filters work better with it because to me it so far seems like a gimmick. Confused and disappointed if people end up saying that it's a subtle sound difference as I'd wonder if others agreed in a blind test most wouldn't be able to tell. Maybe with one of the other filters it works better. Was really looking forward to it actually doing something as the concept seemed really interesting. Need to make a decision if I should return and wait for the R2 Aten.

Edit:
Exactly. Look closely above the first ring on the Blue. There is a tiny port. The Black has no hole.
Will have to check.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #2,742 of 3,190
Of course it is because they were wired for IMR's own cables. Just flip the aftermarket cable on the right iem and they be in phase.
Yes, this is what I did, and all is now right :)
Strange how it is wired out of phase though as I can’t think what the reasoning is behind this? Still it’s working fine now so no biggie!

May 24, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #2,743 of 3,190
Seems others are saying the same thing...
With the R1, I never noticed much of a difference in sound with the vent port open vs closed. Is it the same with the Zenith or are there significant differences?

I've not noticed much difference to he honest. I would say they probably sound a little smoother with the vents closed but I've spotted no real other differences in staging, imaging or isolation.

However...
Yeah, they are not the most comfortable IEMs that's for sure. You probably aren't doing anything wrong. For me it just sort of clicked after a couple weeks. I learned how they needed to be inserted and I've been good to go since. Give it a little time and practice. Looks like the the R2 (or whatever it will be called) retains the same basic shape. I didn't hear a much of a different with the port open/closed at first either. It wasn't until I started using the orange filters that I felt it made much of an impact.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #2,744 of 3,190
Got my R1 Zenith (used) and impressed with the packaging and look/quality of the IEM and initial sound test, however couple questions:
-Still haven't played with the different colored filters, using the default black for now and really wow'ed by the bass. I can visually see the difference between the different filters however, the blue one compared to the black one they're identical on my set. I inspected them carefully and couldn't find a single thing different. Not a big deal but if they're like this for everyone I just find it odd especially since the write up makes it seem like there's a difference between all the colors.

-The turning knob on the exterior (gold color), I really hope there is a point to this thing as either it's VERY subtle having the port open vs closed or my used set has something wrong with it or the different colored filters work better with it because to me it so far seems like a gimmick. Confused and disappointed if people end up saying that it's a subtle sound difference as I'd wonder if others agreed in a blind test most wouldn't be able to tell. Maybe with one of the other filters it works better. Was really looking forward to it actually doing something as the concept seemed really interesting. Need to make a decision if I should return and wait for the R2 Aten.

Edit:

Will have to check.

I find a small but noticeable change in the overall slam and pressure build up of the IEM. Notes feel slightly more relaxed and less "physical". Stage also increases very slightly for me as well. Certainly not a huge difference.

As a long time filter user with Bob's IEMs, how you place the tips can affect the sound too. As a previous poster mentioned, there should be tiny holes at the base of the filter, of different (but visually indistinguishable) sizes. If you place your tips so the way down on the stem of the filter, the stem will effectively block these vent ports and negate the difference (i.e they will all sort like the "imported" filter). The topmost ring on the body of the dinner should be used as the base for fitting the filter, to keep the vent port clear.

Apologies if you already do this, but this was a common observation on Bob's earlier models that people weren't noticing a sonic difference, because they were effectively closing the hole that affects sound by accident.

Hope this helps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back