IMR - R1 Thread
May 3, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #2,686 of 3,190
I’m sure I got a set with my Icarus, but I did have most of the Trinity’s though, so I could be mistaken. Either way don’t try to force any of the filters as cross-threading will kill your iem.

May 3, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #2,687 of 3,190
All of the filters for the Master 4 also work with the Zenith (at least mine do), and seem to be threaded just like my Icarus III filters are (they work as well).

May 3, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #2,689 of 3,190
Anyone own a pair of Campfire Andromeda and can compare to the R1 Zenith. I realize the huge spec and price difference, still curious if value wise they're even close. The Andromeda will hold their resale value way better as the demand and popularity is big I'd guess but the freedom of open and closed on the R1 I'd love to try. I'm on the list for the R2 but the wait is killing me. Returning my Campfire Comet's as the itch to upgrade got to be to be too big.
9760465.jpg

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #2,690 of 3,190
I can't believe I didn't notice this but the R2 is not going to have an exterior part for open to closed adjusting capabilities. Sure you could change the filters, but if you wanted to do it with the ease of a knob rotation you wouldn't get it like the R1 Zenith. Correct?

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #2,691 of 3,190
Anyone own a pair of Campfire Andromeda and can compare to the R1 Zenith. I realize the huge spec and price difference, still curious if value wise they're even close. The Andromeda will hold their resale value way better as the demand and popularity is big I'd guess but the freedom of open and closed on the R1 I'd love to try. I'm on the list for the R2 but the wait is killing me. Returning my Campfire Comet's as the itch to upgrade got to be to be too big.
9760465.jpg

I own Andromeda and R1. Totally different beasts. Andro is much more linear with a bit more resolution. Soundstage is more spacious on R1. I use R1 for electronic and Andro for everything else :wink: I tried zenith for a few days but I didn't like digital highs (hi hat doesn't sound realistic imo on Zenith). I cant tell what is better (andro or R1) because they are totally different and I love both. For sure IMR is more energetic and fun sounding but not as neutral and realistic.
I can't wait for the end of June, I pre ordered R2 :wink:

May 3, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #2,692 of 3,190
Scouring for some reviews of these by reviewers i am familiar with turns up nothing. Usually, i find it useful if a reviewer has reviewed something I own to build a frame of reference.
How do these perform playing back busy rock tracks (guitars, drums, bass, synth at the same time for example. Or even multiple layers of vocals)? Many IEM's stumble and begin to bleed instruments together once things get too busy.

May 3, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #2,693 of 3,190
I own Andromeda and R1. Totally different beasts. Andro is much more linear with a bit more resolution. Soundstage is more spacious on R1. I use R1 for electronic and Andro for everything else :wink: I tried zenith for a few days but I didn't like digital highs (hi hat doesn't sound realistic imo on Zenith). I cant tell what is better (andro or R1) because they are totally different and I love both. For sure IMR is more energetic and fun sounding but not as neutral and realistic.
I can't wait for the end of June, I pre ordered R2 :wink:
Andromeda's for a new set are $1450(CDN)+tax while R1 Z go for $900(new) and min. $450(used). Value wise, in your opinion, is there an actual upgrade in sound to justify $500-$1000 more for the Andro's? They're pretty hard to find used. I guess it's a slightly harder for you to do a value comparison since you would be comparing the discontinued R1 to the Andro. Still curious for yours or anyone's opinion. Resale the Andro's will always hold stronger.

May 3, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #2,694 of 3,190
Value wise, in your opinion, is there an actual upgrade in sound to justify $500-$1000 more for the Andro's?
It's hard to tell because they are really different and I love my Andro but... I think that price for new andro is too much. I paid for mine ~600 USD (including tax, used) and I think that's the top limit I would pay for them. I think that IMR is much better priced for their value. But still you have to think about what music do you listen to and what is your sound preference. I listen to electronic mostly (50%), rock and metal (25%), acoustic/vocal/ambient (15%) and others and I need more than one pair of iem's. IMR is great for electronic/ambient etc. but I prefer Andro for "real" instruments and vocals, I just think Andro sounds more realistic. If I would pick only one I would go for Andro but I also think the price for new is too much.

May 4, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #2,695 of 3,190
I can't believe I didn't notice this but the R2 is not going to have an exterior part for open to closed adjusting capabilities. Sure you could change the filters, but if you wanted to do it with the ease of a knob rotation you wouldn't get it like the R1 Zenith. Correct?
To answer my own question and to help others in case they're curious. The R2 will not be adjustable like the R1 Z. So I put an order in for the R1 Z and on the waitlist for the R2! Pumped.

Hoping there's a good difference between the open vs closed on the R1 Z.

May 5, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #2,696 of 3,190
OK so curiosity got the better of me regarding the money back sound quality offer with the new Flares Audio pro 2HD.
Got to say after hearing them the Zeniths will be getting retired. Its not even funny how good these things are. I cant listen to my much loved Zenith anymore.
Any fellow IMR fans else tried them yet?

May 5, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #2,697 of 3,190
OK so curiosity got the better of me regarding the money back sound quality offer with the new Flares Audio pro 2HD.
Got to say after hearing them the Zeniths will be getting retired. Its not even funny how good these things are. I cant listen to my much loved Zenith anymore.
You have aroused my curiosity as I have previously owned the R2, Flares Pro and Flares Gold. I do prefer the SQ (if not the fit) of my Zenith.
Just when I thought it was safe to venture into the water again! :triportsad:

May 5, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #2,698 of 3,190
Ha, ha I got the FP2HD a few days ago and was underwhelmed. Prefer other IEMs in my inventory. I'm returning them to Amazon this week. To each his own as the saying goes...

May 5, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #2,699 of 3,190
That is why sound is such a subjective thing. I never attempt to argue with someone on what they hear, only try to offer suggestions, whether it be eartips, DAP's or cables, that enhance the experience.

May 5, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #2,700 of 3,190
You have aroused my curiosity as I have previously owned the R2, Flares Pro and Flares Gold. I do prefer the SQ (if not the fit) of my Zenith.
Just when I thought it was safe to venture into the water again! :triportsad:
Its a free trial so I thought id try it. Cant lose really. I like how they Say its the new flagship and better than the Golds, yet still cut the price by 60%. First time I remember that happening in my 30 odd years as a HIFI enthusiast. They do like power though so maybe not a good IEM for phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back