IMR - R1 Thread
Apr 12, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #2,596 of 3,190
It will definitely have the price to boot for the triple threat hybrid as loyalty codes won't work for this item. As far as I know Bob did state that the Rah will be roughly £1000. I wonder how much the Elan will be but I'm sure it'll be no more than the Zeniths. I am personally picking this pair up myself as if the soundstage is actually bigger as it's reported, it's definitely going to be a keeper as it's priced below the Zenith that we originally bought.

What I am pondering is how the assembly of the unit is that much cheaper than the Zeniths themselves. The only thing I can think about is the fact that that their are no moving parts for the port... Elsewise the hybrid driver that exists in the Aten is likely a continued improvement of the Zeniths hybrid which is the same mix of a piezoelectric ceramic and beryllium driver although it seems that Bob is trying to increase the size of the dynamic driver slowly over time based on its merits in reproduction of bass.

Didn't Bob send an email saying that he would allow the code to work for the Rah? Or is that wishful thinking?

Apr 12, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #2,598 of 3,190
How does the IMR R1 Z compare with the FLC 8n (except for bass quantity :wink:. Is it worth the upgrade? Thanks

Apr 12, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #2,599 of 3,190
Didn't Bob send an email saying that he would allow the code to work for the Rah? Or is that wishful thinking?

It's been explicitly stated by Bob somewhere before that the loyalty codes for the Rah would not work. The upcoming Elan is not exempt from the loyalty codes and is expected to come out late summer (Alongside Rah) because developing an in-house planar magnetic driver is proving difficult as stated by Bob (He's on his third revision). I expect that once the Elan comes out that it will sound exceptionally good as well. Afterall, Bob is designing a micro planar which is less commonly seen than typical BA and dynamic driver IEMs and only recently catching popularity. The loyalty codes won't be accepted for the Rah possibly because of the amount of R&D required to make a new shell and house three in house engineered drivers. The developing Aten and Elan likely serves as a buffer for finances while he continues to fund his continued research for his ultimate TOTL iem which is the Rah.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #2,602 of 3,190
How does the IMR R1 Z compare with the FLC 8n (except for bass quantity :wink:. Is it worth the upgrade? Thanks
I have both. The FLC is on the chopping block now. Really no contest, R1 Z is vastly superior.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #2,603 of 3,190

I'd go with yes. R1 has less configuration options, but those have a better overall detail, fuller bass, more interesting overall sound, more exciting and engaging. The filters on R1 affect the sound a bit more drastically :)

Apr 15, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #2,604 of 3,190
I'd go with yes. R1 has less configuration options, but those have a better overall detail, fuller bass, more interesting overall sound, more exciting and engaging. The filters on R1 affect the sound a bit more drastically :)
Not to mention all of the tiny little pieces to manage with the FLC 8N....I would take the R1 Z

Apr 15, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #2,605 of 3,190
It's been explicitly stated by Bob somewhere before that the loyalty codes for the Rah would not work. The upcoming Elan is not exempt from the loyalty codes and is expected to come out late summer (Alongside Rah) because developing an in-house planar magnetic driver is proving difficult as stated by Bob (He's on his third revision). I expect that once the Elan comes out that it will sound exceptionally good as well. Afterall, Bob is designing a micro planar which is less commonly seen than typical BA and dynamic driver IEMs and only recently catching popularity. The loyalty codes won't be accepted for the Rah possibly because of the amount of R&D required to make a new shell and house three in house engineered drivers. The developing Aten and Elan likely serves as a buffer for finances while he continues to fund his continued research for his ultimate TOTL iem which is the Rah.

However, his email said:
"Dear Customers,

In a previous email I stated that you would never pay full price on any order or any pre-order in the future and so today I present you with your Special code. This code has been sent to just you owners and is just for you and can be used on anything now or in the future from either the main site or the facebook shop."

Apr 15, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #2,606 of 3,190
After months of wait, I finally received my second set of R1Zs (and nothing else). Is it me, or the promise was that, for all early adopters with a defective set, a balanced cable will also be included in the complementary package? Did you guys receive the cable or just the capsules?

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #2,607 of 3,190
After months of wait, I finally received my second set of R1Zs (and nothing else). Is it me, or the promise was that, for all early adopters with a defective set, a balanced cable will also be included in the complementary package? Did you guys receive the cable or just the capsules?
I did actually get the cable, just an ok cable though, nothing to write home about. Got my own upgrade cable eventually.

Apr 15, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #2,608 of 3,190
I didn't get the cable either, which is poor in my opnion given it was meant to appease the QC issue. How did it take so long for the replacements to arrive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back