IMR - R1 Thread
Apr 15, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #2,611 of 3,190
Hi all can you help me figure out this mystery? So I just upgraded my iPhone from a 7 plus 256 to an xs max 512 because I needed more room for music. So I always listen through iAudioGate and dragonfly red black or FiiO l1. No matter which amp or cord I use with the zenith, the highs on the 7 plus are piercing. On the call max, the sound is outstanding, like the best iem I’ve ever heard. So strange. I guess maybe something audio related gone haywire on the 7 or the app? Strange. Could it really be that the xs max is that much better of a dap?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #2,612 of 3,190
hey all, I'm hoping that some of you may be able to help me with some suggestions..

I recently picked up the final audio e5000 after reading many positive impressions. I do enjoy them, but I find myself reaching for the R1 more. Although I'm not necessarily surprised by this (figured that the R1 would be the superior listen still) I am sorta on the hunt for a replacement to the e5000.

I listen to mainly bass heavy music, and would like a secondary IEM to use beside the R1. I was hopeful that the e5000 would fill this slot, but alas it just does everything the R1 does a bit worse and more veiled (imo)

So I come looking for suggestions.. in everyone's experiences, what are some other IEM that could be considered R1's competition? perhaps options that do certain things a bit better or just a bit different.
one drawback of the e5000 is their lack of isolation, which is key for me as well. I'd love to grab something that has a similar sound signature to the R1, but is still fun in its own way and brings something different.

I'm a bit eager to sell the finals and get on another set, so interested in what you all have to say on this question!

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #2,613 of 3,190
New member of the IMR owners family... have the R1 Zenith winging its way over the “Pond” now... so, question... what are the general impressions of the R2?

Would it be worth going all in and ordering R2 as well - is it going to be a big upgrade over the R1 Zenith? Or will it be a small bump and I would be better off waiting for the IMR releases later in the year? I could do both (get R2 and more later), but only if the R2 is a big step up from the Zenith...

Apr 16, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #2,614 of 3,190
New member of the IMR owners family... have the R1 Zenith winging its way over the “Pond” now... so, question... what are the general impressions of the R2?

Would it be worth going all in and ordering R2 as well - is it going to be a big upgrade over the R1 Zenith? Or will it be a small bump and I would be better off waiting for the IMR releases later in the year? I could do both (get R2 and more later), but only if the R2 is a big step up from the Zenith...
As far as I know nobody has heard the R2 so I doubt anyone other than Bob can answer your questions. He doesn't post on here.

Apr 16, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #2,615 of 3,190
Hi all can you help me figure out this mystery? So I just upgraded my iPhone from a 7 plus 256 to an can max 512 because I needed more room for music. So I always listen through iAudioGate and dragonfly red black or FiiO l1. No matter which amp or cord I use with the zenith, the highs on the 7 plus are piercing. On the call max, the sound is outstanding, like the best iem I’ve ever heard. So strange. I guess maybe something audio related gone haywire on the 7 or the app? Strange. Could it really be that the call max is that much better of a dap?
With "can (or call) max" are you referring to the iPhone XS max?

Apr 16, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #2,617 of 3,190
I just received a Nicehck 8 core copper cable and will try it later. The standard cable is just too stiff. Also I'm still searching for a better fit with eartips. For now I'm sticking with New Bee earfoams.

Apr 16, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #2,618 of 3,190
I just received a Nicehck 8 core copper cable and will try it later. The standard cable is just too stiff. Also I'm still searching for a better fit with eartips. For now I'm sticking with New Bee earfoams.
I also found it a challenge to find tips that were both comfortable while still providing the necessary seal. I finally settled on the Flares Everyday Audiophile tips which are working very well for me.

Apr 16, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #2,619 of 3,190
I also found it a challenge to find tips that were both comfortable while still providing the necessary seal. I finally settled on the Flares Everyday Audiophile tips which are working very well for me.

Haven't tried Flares or Symbio yet. Soon I will receive some SpinFit eartips.

Apr 16, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #2,620 of 3,190
I'm now on spinfits CP500 (large bore) and I'm happy with them. Eventually I will get myself some custom made tips from The Custom Art.

Apr 16, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #2,622 of 3,190
I’m liking the R1 more with every listening session - been sticking with the pink filters
I know there are numerous aftermarket cables being used by members
I’m looking for reasonably priced cables that are more flexible than the original ones that will go around the ears and stay there
I would like the same or better sound quality as the originals
Any recommendations would be appreciated
Thanks
Gord

Apr 16, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #2,623 of 3,190
I’m liking the R1 more with every listening session - been sticking with the pink filters
I’m looking for reasonably priced cables that are more flexible than the original ones that will go around the ears and stay there
Thanks
Gord
the Effect Audio Ares II brings out the best in the R1 and also in the Zenith. significant improvement over the stock cables and better than
the silver IMR balanced cable by a lot. they love the pure copper!

Apr 17, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #2,624 of 3,190
Thanks
Gord
I'm currently using this cable: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NIC...742.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.38414c4dxr3gnA
and I found it much better than the stock cable of Zenith. you can also go for its 8 core version which is half the price of 16 core.
This cable is being sold by many sellers in Aliexpress, but I found the seller in my link genuine and shipping is fast as well.
If you can extend your budget to $90 then this cable:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NIC...ml?spm=a2g0o.cart.99999999.259.2ba73c007c9d8z has received many appreciations in cable forums here in head-fi.
this cable sells for $60-65 during sale days.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #2,625 of 3,190
the Effect Audio Ares II brings out the best in the R1 and also in the Zenith. significant improvement over the stock cables and better than
the silver IMR balanced cable by a lot. they love the pure copper!
i'll second the Ares II, it sounds spectacular with the R1Z, tip wise is another subjective matter though :) i'm currently using the Symbio W Peel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back