IMR - R1 Thread
Dec 6, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #1,351 of 3,190
So do you guys think that we should pre-order the iem while the time remains?

I did. Can't beat the price. Plus, you won't be charged until it ships.

BTW, I did the vent mod on the R1 and it has helped with the driver flex and does seem to have more controled bass with a larger sound stage. Basically, it's what Bob is doing the newer larger vent on the zeniths on a smaller scale. I opened the shell with a torx 4 bit, removed the smileys with small Phillips head, and drilled through the current two holes with a 1/16 drill bit. I then went with a 5/64 bit after to double, almost triple the size of the regular two holes. This was quite an easy one but I did have to re-expoxy my mmcx connections that I added last time.
20181205_180111.jpg

Dec 6, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #1,352 of 3,190
Do it! And then write a thorough review comparing it to the R1 :wink:
A review will definitely be coming on it if i buy it. And I WILL BUY IT!!!:joy:

Dec 6, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #1,353 of 3,190
I did. Can't beat the price. Plus, you won't be charged until it ships.

BTW, I did the vent mod on the R1 and it has helped with the driver flex and does seem to have more controled bass with a larger sound stage. Basically, it's what Bob is doing the newer larger vent on the zeniths on a smaller scale. I opened the shell with a torx 4 bit, removed the smileys with small Phillips head, and drilled through the current two holes with a 1/16 drill bit. I then went with a 5/64 bit after to double, almost triple the size of the regular two holes. This was quite an easy one but I did have to re-expoxy my mmcx connections that I added last time.
wow! nicely done! Anyways, can you guys suggest me a good aftermarket 2-pin balanced cable for the r1?

Dec 7, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #1,354 of 3,190
wow! nicely done! Anyways, can you guys suggest me a good aftermarket 2-pin balanced cable for the r1?

Any of the Chinese or generic 8 cores are great like on Amazon or Aliexpress. My personal favorite has a blend of copper and silver. Best of both worlds. Can find those for 20-30 US dollars. You will have to cut some of the plastic off of the 2 pin connector to get it to fit. It's only the corners though. Very easy with a sharp knife or razor. You shave the rectangular edges off and round them. Takes 5 to 10 minutes to do.

Dec 7, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #1,355 of 3,190
oh dear, i got mixed up between the 2 brands. anyway, highly doubt there will be any lawsuit; doesn't make sense for a jap company to file a IP claim in a common law jurisdiction and vice versa. besides, where is the loss suffered (too indeterminate) if any at all by either party lol

Dec 7, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #1,356 of 3,190
From what Bob wrote me, the quantity of bass won't be reduced. It's the quality of the bass (especially mid bass), which will be better. That's a good sign, as I love the bass of the R1 and wouldn't like to have it less than now. Decisions, decisions...

Dec 7, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #1,358 of 3,190
So far my R1s have been excellent and Bob has been extremely supportive. Buying the Zenith is very tempting, yet how much of an upgrade can we expect.. Difficult really. I for one am not even bothered by the current stock cable.

A trade-in deal would be great, but that might not cover the B-stock (which appears to be very popular around here). I do wonder what he would (will) do with the returned R1s.

Dec 7, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #1,359 of 3,190
So far my R1s have been excellent and Bob has been extremely supportive. Buying the Zenith is very tempting, yet how much of an upgrade can we expect.. Difficult really. I for one am not even bothered by the current stock cable.

A trade-in deal would be great, but that might not cover the B-stock (which appears to be very popular around here). I do wonder what he would (will) do with the returned R1s.

I would imagine after thorough testing he would re-sell as pre-owned "B" stock, I also think some will regret a trade vs. having both at the original 250 pound offer!

Dec 7, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #1,361 of 3,190
Definitely the tatatataaaa...

... Ultra thin braided silver plated cable from the IMR shop :ok_hand:

My thoughts about the new IMR R1 Zenith:

:laughing:

ROTFLMAO! So have you had good luck with that cable not oxidizing? I remember asking Bob when he first started to sell those and his he was not sure if they would turn since he was using a 3rd party to build them. I never got one as it would kill me to have a oxidizing cable on the R1's and I think they need a red cable anyway:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 7, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #1,364 of 3,190
Wanna see some actual prototypes?

7793C7F7-259D-4626-9A4C-24025CBB8200.jpeg
Got 'em from Bob after winning them on his Instagram page. He made it clear these were early concept that did not cut the mustard so were scraped. "They won't sound as good as your R1's" he said.

Of course Bob was right, but I didn't realize it until I put the R1 back on. These really sound great, but the sub-bass and R1's expansive soundstage isn't quite there. This port does alter the sound though; which makes me think that the design he finally chose for the Zenith could be a significant change.

And Bob threw in 3 cables to play with: the stock 3.5mm (which I'm pretty sure is thinner than stock R1), a 2.5mm balanced and 3.5mm silver plated. Honestly, I truly wish that TA does not continue to pop up here because IMR/Bob has been nothing but courteous, professional and loyal to his R1 customers while putting out straight-up outstanding IEMs.

Dec 7, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #1,365 of 3,190
Im totally happy with my current R1. Really happy. But its hard to resist and NOT PUSH the pre-order button for the new Zenith "herman munster screws" :grin: Psychological well placed offer... i need serious help niahahahaha :ghost:

update:
08.12.2018 serious listening hour with the R1 for the purpose of finding anything i dont like about it to have a reason to buy the next gen R1. I did not find anything :disappointed_relieved:. I totally enjoy the detailed and present bass, mids and highs... nothing is harsh to my ears...the music sucks me in and i still have the "wow-effect" and think about how good all various kinds of music sound.

My actual setup is shrunken to:

- IMR R1 in ears connected via an 2.5 to 3.5 mm adapter to the small Shanling M0
- Denon AH-D5200 headphones that shares the M0 with the R1

To benefit of the easier operation of a bigger device and a 2.5mm balance port im thinking about getting a Shanling M5s so i dont have to use an adapter anymore.

IMR R1 + Shanling M0 = :heart_eyes:

IMG_4428.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back