IMR - R1 Thread
Dec 6, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #1,337 of 3,190
Bob mentionned a trade-in offer on his Facebook page a few weeks ago but there was no mention of it in his email...

It's obviously hard to guess, but do you think the two models are somewhat complementary (different sound signatures for ex.) and thus worth keeping, or it makes more sense to rationalize and keep only one? I might get the Zenith, see which one I prefer, and sell the other one anyway. But still curious about what you guys' strategy.

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #1,338 of 3,190
@Shakathecoconut I have no insider info, just conjectures.

Looks to me, from what Bob said in the email, that Zenith is a refinement and evolution of the R1. So I'd think that it's not going to be complementary to the R1, or at least not MEANT to be such.

Me, I did preorder the Zenith, and I'll decide what to do once I get to know it. Might sell the one I like less, or actually ending up keeping both (IF I'll like both enough to keep the other as a backup in case of accidents/breaks etc etc).

If Zenith happens to be very similar to the R1, and so much better than it that I would not want to listen to the R1 in any case (meaning, if the Zenith breaks I'd rather get another Zenith, rather than listen to the R1), well, in that scenario, holding on to the R1 would not really make a lot of sense :) .

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #1,339 of 3,190
Dec 6, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #1,341 of 3,190
Guess we can just lump Bob in with all the Chinese copycats then:scream_cat: I'm sure he found some applications in the Acoustune he liked and could incorporate into the Zenith. Guess we will have to see if they sue him! So was the original prototype you speak of the HS 1501 which as you say does come closer to the Zenith than the 1650 CU.
IDBN22X.jpg

1650 CU's

sOLVhaq_mHMqfAqm8FNaUPH7WWdvuv7GmdEdWpnRHVo

I have no problem with Bob using part of another manufacturers design as long as it not a complete copy and I don't believe for a second this type of design copying started in China as it's been going on for a very very long time in all industries:thinking: I just know I'm a firm believer in Bob's ear and products:wink: Be nice to have the Zenith join the family:grin:

B’s Family Affair.JPG

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #1,342 of 3,190
I don't think I'm going to do it :astonished:

While the offer is awfully tempting, I just love my R1. People do not understand how much I truly love these things. Present Head-Fi company not included of course; I mean in real life. While the open port was a huge selling point for me initially, it did not meet my, oh so terribly high, expectations. Nowadays I prefer the port closed and the bass and separation of the R1 continues to blow me away after 17, 18 months of use. I'm not sure my ears would even hear "tighter" bass.

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #1,343 of 3,190
No, you posted different models than the 1650 (last one is the 1670) @Podster - I think the protype was really similar to the acoustune 1650... especially in colors (black/gold), while the finished Zenith looks more like gunmetal blue, maybe, rather than black, to my eyes.

here:
1650 1.jpg

1650 2.jpg

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #1,346 of 3,190
No, you posted different models than the 1650 (last one is the 1670) @Podster - I think the protype was really similar to the acoustune 1650... especially in colors (black/gold), while the finished Zenith looks more like gunmetal blue, maybe, rather than black, to my eyes.

here:

Well by what I saw and you black and gold picture says 1650 right on them, I believe the 1670 known as 1670 SS (is the Stainless Steel version of the 1650) Regardless they look nice and I think the 1650/70 retail around the $500 mark which is actually a little less than Bob's projected 500 pounds. Bob is notorious for using the Gun Metal blue gray finish on his iem's!

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #1,347 of 3,190
Is the sheer physical size/ergonomics the same ? Also whay about the cable, different one ?

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #1,348 of 3,190
Size may be close and the 1650 might even be close in weight but I can assure you the Stainless Steel pair weigh a ton to ones ears, don't know if anyone has the TA Masters but they are chromed stainless and are literally the heaviest iem's I own to this day.

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #1,349 of 3,190
So do you guys think that we should pre-order the iem while the time remains?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back